INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Tag Issue  (Read 5001 times)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
Weird Tag Issue
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:21:11 pm »

I seem to be having a weird tag issue.  I have a view set up so that I have panes of the right side that list genre then album artist (auto) then album.  The problem is that the album artist (auto) tag info is messes up.  It displays the album as opposed to what is should be saying.  This is true for about 1/3 of my collection.  My question is, is there a way to copy the artist info from those affected and copy it to almum arist (auto)?  The same incorret info is display with the Album Artist view as well, so changing it will not do anything.  Thanks.

Nate

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Weird Tag Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:29:59 pm »

[album artist (auto)] will automatically reflect the contents of the [album artist] field. If the [album artist] field is empty, MC applies some built in logic to determine whether the album contains various artists, in which case it auto populates with "(Multiple Artists)", if the album is attributed to a single artist, then the [album artist (auto)] field is populated with the contents of the artist field.

In your case, I would say that clearing the [album artist] field for the affected files will likely solve your issue. Try one or two before going wholesale :)

-marko.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:38:36 pm »

Interesting.  When I try to do as you suggested, erase the alum artist feild on those affected, MC crashes every time after 4 or 5.  Then, after it launches again the changes I had made are reverted.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »

that's obviously not right...

What file types are involved and where abouts are you clearing the field? (tag window, file list or pane?)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:50:24 pm »

that's obviously not right...

What file types are involved and where abouts are you clearing the field? (tag window, file list or pane?)

I only have mp3s.  And yes, I am editing the tag info from the tag window (accessed through the panel).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:46:27 pm »

I have no idea why it crashes when you try to tag the files, but MC may be reading some existing file tag values to the Album Artist library field.

The current implementation of the ID3v2 tag reader reads the contents of the TPE2 file tag (= officially 'Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment', but used as Album Artist by programs like WMP and iTunes) and also the TXXX (Album Artist) file tag to the Album Artist library field.

Old MC versions wrote the Band library field to TPE2 (currectly MC uses a custom TXXX tag frame for the Band library field).

A "tag dump" might be helpful. Could you do the following?

Select one of the affected files and click the very first text line in the "Action Window > Tag" to open the "detailed format info" window. It shows a direct tag dump from the file. Once opened, right-click the detailed format info and copy the contents to clipboard. Paste the text in your reply like this:

MPEG-1 Layer 3
256 Kbit VBR
44.1 Khz Joint stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No
Encoder: LAME
Gapless: Yes (576 start, 1428 end)

ID3v1 Tag: (128 bytes)
   Name: All Along The Watchtower
   Artist: Eddie Vedder & The Million Dol
   Album: I'm Not There
   Year: 2007
   Comment: Disc 1
   Track #: 1
   Genre: Soundtrack (24)

ID3v2.3 Tag: (2953 bytes)
  TALB (Album): I'm Not There
  TPE1 (Artist): Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers
  TPE2 (Album Artist): Various Artists
  TBPM (BPM): 125
  COMM (Comment): Disc 1
  TPOS (Disc #): 1/2
  TSSE (Encoding Settings): LAME 3.98.2 -V1
  TCON (Genre): Soundtrack
  TIT2 (Name): All Along The Watchtower
  TRCK (Track #): 1/16
  TYER (Year): 2007
  TXXX (ALBUM ARTIST): Various Artists
  TXXX (INTENSITY): 5
  TXXX (replaygain_track_g..): -9.42 dB
  TXXX (replaygain_track_p..): 0.985740
  TXXX (replaygain_album_g..): -7.71 dB
  TXXX (replaygain_album_p..): 0.985740
  TXXX (TOOL NAME): Media Center
  TXXX (TOOL VERSION): 13.0.112
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:10:04 pm »

cheers Alex :)

How you keep track of all these version/mapping settings never ceases to amaze me!

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:06:54 pm »

I have no idea why it crashes when you try to tag the files, but MC may be reading some existing file tag values to the Album Artist library field.

The current implementation of the ID3v2 tag reader reads the contents of the TPE2 file tag (= officially 'Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment', but used as Album Artist by programs like WMP and iTunes) and also the TXXX (Album Artist) file tag to the Album Artist library field.

Old MC versions wrote the Band library field to TPE2 (currectly MC uses a custom TXXX tag frame for the Band library field).

A "tag dump" might be helpful. Could you do the following?

Select one of the affected files and click the very first text line in the "Action Window > Tag" to open the "detailed format info" window. It shows a direct tag dump from the file. Once opened, right-click the detailed format info and copy the contents to clipboard. Paste the text in your reply like this:

Here you go....

MPEG-2 Layer 3
80 Kbit CBR
22.1 Khz Joint stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No
Encoder: <unknown>
Gapless: No

ID3v1 Tag: (128 bytes)
   Name: ...And Justice For All
   Artist: Metallica
   Album: And Justice For All
   Year:
   Comment:
   Track #: 1
   Genre: Metal (9)

ID3v2.3 Tag: (90924 bytes)
  APIC (picture) (Cover): <too large to display>
  TCON (Genre): Metal
  TPE2 (Album Artist): ...And Justice For All
  TIT2 (Name): ...And Justice For All
  TRCK (Track #): 1
  TBPM (BPM): 92
  TPE1 (Artist): Metallica
  TALB (Album): And Justice For All
  USLT (Lyrics): <too large to display>
  COMM (Comment):
  COMM (Tool Name): Media Center
  COMM (Tool Version): 11.1.91
  COMM (EQ): OOOOOOOZZZ^
  COMM (Peak Level): 1
  COMM (Replay Gain): -13.0017
  COMM (Intensity): 5
  COMM (MusicMatch_Bio): <too large to display>

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 07:21:45 pm »

TPE2 (Album Artist): ...And Justice For All

This explains the Album Artist tag. MC reads it from TPE2.

Now we need to find out why MC crashes when you attempt to change the field value. Can you tag other fields?

EDIT

BTW, I'm wondering where those tags came from. Did you intentionally tag the name of the album in the Band library field with an older version of MC? As I said, MC used the TPE2 tag frame for the Band field.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 01:46:46 am »

COMM (Tool Version): 11.1.91
?

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:06 pm »

This issue just got a little weirder.  It seems that MC has no problems editing the album artist (auto) field when it is done through the regular list view.  But when I edit the same tag info through the action widow (tag view) MC crashes.;  I have no idea why that it.  But I was able to correct all my tags last night. 

Also, I have never intentionally tagged the album artist (auto) field with anything other that the album artist, certainly not with the Album as it was here.  I don't remember this ever being an issue with MC12, and I have a similar view scheme with both.

Could this be because I use MP3pro?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:18 pm »

You should not tag the "Album Artist (auto)" field.  As the name implies, MC fills it automatically and its contents are not saved to the file tags.

The TPE2 file tag is linked with the separate plain "Album Artist" field (this field can be used for overriding the auto value when preferred).

As I tried to explain, the TPE2 file tag was not used for Album Artist field in older MC versions. It was linked with the Band field.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:30:45 pm »

Odd, I'm seeing the same thing. Many of my Album Artists fields are populated with the album instead of the Artist (and hence the Album Artist (auto) is also so populated). This was not done manually by me.  I'll keep looking, but maybe it's Emusic that does that?

Anyway, I would like to display all those tracks that are affected. I don't think I can use an expression to search one field and compare it to another field (I tried a few things but nothing worked). Any gurus out there know how I might search for Album Artist = Album field so that I might clean them up?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 03:43:48 pm »

paste the following into the search bar:

[=isequal([album artist],[album])]=1

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 03:47:00 pm »

Thanks a bunch, marko.
Over 7,000 files were affected, and it took about 3 seconds to find them and delete the album artist info thanks to your search expression.  Thanks!
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 04:03:45 pm »

I should add that marko's search expression finds those instances were the Album Artist is an exact match with the album. In my case, I found another 600+ where the Album Artist included a truncated album name. I found those easy enough enough with a view scheme that excluded (Multiple Artists) and where the Album Artist column is displayed next to the Album colum.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 05:11:34 pm »

You should not tag the "Album Artist (auto)" field.  As the name implies, MC fills it automatically and its contents are not saved to the file tags.

The TPE2 file tag is linked with the separate plain "Album Artist" field (this field can be used for overriding the auto value when preferred).

As I tried to explain, the TPE2 file tag was not used for Album Artist field in older MC versions. It was linked with the Band field.

That may have been the intention. But if that were the case then there would have not been an error for me to report, which has now been verified.  Now I know there error was not on my end, else I'd be the only one.  Regardless, I have fixed my tags.  I'm just wondering why MC crashes when I try to edit the tag via the action panel.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 08:06:28 pm »

Can you reproduce the crash with any files? Does it happen only when you tag a certain field? What exactly happens? Have you checked if the crash is included in the log file? (You can enable logging in Help > Logging...)

If you can always reproduce the crash when you do certain things in a certain order you could report it in the release thread.

EDIT

Could this be because I use MP3pro?

MP3Pro is probably not related to the problem. The tag format should not be anyhow different. Have you tried to do the same with standard MP3 files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up