INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What tv-tuner should i buy ?  (Read 5983 times)

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
What tv-tuner should i buy ?
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:21:19 pm »

Well, i'm in the search of a good hybrid (analog/digital) tuner card for my pc in either pci or usb type...

I'm looking for something with good image quality,to be able to do time-shifting without much hassle, to include a remote and ofcourse play nicely with mc13!

I'm totally new to this field so if anyone would recommend me some kind of tv-tuner would be nice!

I was looking at the Pinaccle pc-tv sticks but from what i saw they only had composite input and no remote or something... I was searching the threads in this side of the forum and i was seeing some incompatibilities with some devices so i'm afraid to buy something that would not work the jrmc. Also the official list of compatible devices seems a bit out of date as i couldn't seem to find any of them in Greece to buy:(

Any ideas ?:)

clearplastic

• Recent member
Re: What tv-tuner should i buy ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:25:31 pm »

Hmm.... Bump because I'd like to know what people are using too.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:41 pm »

Matt recently bought a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner.  It works great.  I am using AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCI-E which is also very good. Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro USB stick, and others from hauppauge etc. should be good too.

I do not know if people in DVB-T countries use similar models but here in ATSC land they work well.

In general, there should be little or no compatibility issues with MC on digital TV part.  If there are problems, we will work them out.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »

Great!  And it comes with a remote!

Will it handle analog cable in North America?  I read an Amazon review that made me question this.

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:31 pm »

Great!  And it comes with a remote!

Will it handle analog cable in North America?  I read an Amazon review that made me question this.
The tuner in question does ClearQAM so you'll get all the digital channels the cable provider broadcasts for free, including the HD ones. What would be the interest to get the analog ones? (if any left since we're trying to bury the whole thing)

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 06:24:31 pm »

...true, but in the meantime, I guess.    I don't THINK there's any digital cable running here yet... is there?
(vancouver)

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:34:45 pm »

I would call that a shocking revelation if true. I'd say, on the contrary most of channels broadcasted are digital and analog is kept only for compatibility or to comply with certain regulations. I don't know what provider you're looking up, but in Vancouver Shaw TV for example has a zillion of digital channels. Their advertisement lists only Digital channels, HD and On Demand. You'd be way better of to research what do you get for free in ClearQAM than to look for a analog package, if such a thing still exists.

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 08:40:33 pm »

I should research a little more... My recent TV seemed to only grab the analog stations on setup.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:22:26 pm »

MC does not yet support QAM from cable.

You can receive over-the-air digital TV and analog TV from cable.

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:27:49 pm »

OK.... This may not be the place for it... but;

QAM is FREE unencrypted digital cable, right?  (as opposed to FREE over-the-air)?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:59:19 pm »

Yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up