INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Server Client Interaction  (Read 1580 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
MC Server Client Interaction
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:41 pm »

I've been here long enough to realize that MC is often upgraded in major revamping sessions.  I have seen big improvements to theater view, television PVR functionality, remote functionality, etc.  I'm not sure what the next big improvement will be but think server client interaction with MC should be given strong consideration.  There are a few goals I have in mind:

1. Ability to play the same content synchronized among multiple MC boxes.
2. Ability to control MC on computer A from computer B -- probably with the full MC interface, just that content would play on the other box.
3. Ability to be playing content and "Continue" it on another MC box.  So if someone is watching something on the kitchen HTPC, they could choose to continue it in the theater and that HTPC would automatically start playing the content.  Perhaps have a delay and a confirmation if content is already playing.

#1 is my most desired because this would allow quick and easy house wide audio for a party.

I have a lot of other ideas but also understand that new features are only implemented when J River deems them appropriate.  We'll see what happens.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Server Client Interaction
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:43:18 pm »

Can #1 not be done with zones? - you don't really need a MC box in every room, but I guess you don't want multiple audio cards, or to have to run audio cables every where.

I really like idea number 3!

)p(

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:39:46 am »

I would use #2 all the time. I now control mc with my n800 using remote desktop but with #2 I would by a some small atom based tablet pc that runs the jrmc gui natviely instead of using remote desktop.

peter

DiiPii

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:25:53 am »

#1 and #2 would be big wins for me....I'd be willing to pay extra for features like that. I currently use XP tunes as a solution to #2  but would much rather be able to use the MC native interface (no offense Messiahs, it's just a matter of features).

I like the concept of #3 too but would use it less.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:18:59 am »

#1 is difficult due to latency issues and all boxes/devices having different latency, but would be great if do-able.
(perhaps a microphone used to sense a timing signal (beep) so that software could auto-calibrate the latency timing?)

#2 has long been on my list! 
Yes Messiah's xpTunes is great, but it is intended for use with a PDA or similar and not as functional as the full MC interface.
Sure would be nice not to need VNC just to play music from my server which feeds my audio system.
. . . the game is rigged

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04:22 pm »

I've been requesting #2 for years. To me this is fundementally a requirement which is why I have used MusicLobby for years. Theatre View option would be nice for touch screens. What you need is one primary music server location with it's audio card(s) connected to the amplifiers and the ability to  control IT from any PC in the house is the way to go.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:52:36 am »

Running audio cables is a poor choice because there is loss and degradation.  This is why I run ethernet to each entertainment area and then use a computer.  Just like the HDHomeRun -- it connects to coax early on and then transforms the data to ethernet based data--where there is essentially no loss if you run hundreds of feet.  Coax doesn't like huge runs as much.

Pinging my server literally almost always reveals < 1ms delay.  I can manually (by hand) sync the audio to what sounds nearly perfect.  The problem is that then if I change songs, every system has to be recalibrated--which is playing the music.

People are synchronizing live recorded band music over the internet.  Here we've got basically ideal conditions!  A local lan!  The synchronizing feature could first test the quality of the connection -- basically latency.  If it is slow, then warn the user that the sync will not be quite perfect.

These three new features push MC in a hugely different direction and I don't know how willing they will be to add them.  The support is there, at least somewhat, but that may not be enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up