INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jrmc and windows server 2008/concurrent users  (Read 2760 times)

evilhobo

• Recent member
jrmc and windows server 2008/concurrent users
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:38:57 pm »

I was wondering if people could clear some things up for me.

Firstly, what i would like to achieve:

basically, I would like jrmc to be running on a computer (hereafter known as the 'server') that is connected to a tv , but be able to edit the library and settings from a remote desktop session WITHOUT disruption to whatever is happening on the tv. (eg, someone is watching a movie using jrmc on the tv can continue to do so whilst i remote into the server and fiddle around with the library).

afaik, windows vista doesn't support  concurrent users for remote desktop, so if i remote in, it'll kick off whoever was watching at the tv.

if i use the concurency hack to get around this, I would have to remote in under a different user account and whilst j river can read the same library, different users have different settings (settings are stored in local user registry, right?)

so my 'solution' is to use a server edition of windows (which i have access to because of dreamspark and/or msdnaa), which i've been told supports single user concurrency (single user, multiple sessions).

however, i wasn't aware that terminal services in server editions require CAL (which I'm not willing to pay for).

can someone either explain to me a way of sharing jrmc library AND settings between user accounts, OR explain how to set up terminal services to achieve what i'd like WITHOUT dealing with CALs.

(or a completely alternate setup and does the same thing)

also, i remember reading that jrmc can be started in 'read-only' mode so that a second logon (eg through remote desktop) can modify the library. is this correct? how do i start the first instance of jrmc in 'read-only'?

thanks all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: jrmc and windows server 2008/concurrent users
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:46 am »

Would the detached display work?  Right click on the display screen to detach it.  You can move it to a second screen.

There are some startup options in the DevZone info.  Take a look at the Command Line options.

evilhobo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:57 pm »

the issue is, i only have one screen (the tv). i'd like to be able to work on it through remote desktop.

in any case, i think i have the concurrent user thing setup now in server 2008, so i just need to confirm, can i start up jrmc in read only mode?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:17:14 pm »

I am having an issue where I am able to successfuly RDP into my pc (Vista HP 64-bit) hooked up on my TV, but MC tells me that there is a problem and I am unable to view it because there are multiple users on it.  Is there anyway to get around this besides having to log out of the PC hooked up to the TV first?

Thanks
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up