INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get MC to auto-file an existing .mp3 file?  (Read 1656 times)

chippwalters

• Recent member
How do I get MC to auto-file an existing .mp3 file?
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:44:24 pm »

If I drag/drop a set of mp3 files onto a playlist from a folder on my desktop, the files are not automatically moved to a correct folder location inside my "Music" folder, but are instead referenced in the existing desktop folder. Is there anyway to automatically move files to a correct "Music" location-- either by auto-copying them and/or deleting the originals?

Even if I use the 'Import Folder' option under the Tools menu, the files are not moved.

Also, if I drag drop a non-protected .wma files onto a playlist, can MC auto-convert them to .mp3's and auto-file them (iTunes does this).

Thanks for any help :-)

chippwalters

• Recent member
Re: How do I get MC to auto-file an existing .mp3 file?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:50 pm »

OK, I found this in the WIKI:

"Importing & Tagging
Automatically Import Files into Media Center. Whenever you play a file associated with the program, that file will be imported (it will be added to the "Recently Imported" Playlist and filed into the various folders, including Artist, Album, etc)."

When I go into the General Options, there is no "Automatically Import Files into Media Center" but there is "Automatically import files when played", though checking it does not file the mp3 anywhere. Are there any other settings for this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:49:12 am »

You can use Library Tools to move one or more files.  Select a few, right click, do Library Tools/Rename, Move or Copy.  If you check the directory box, it will move them according to your rule.  Try a few before you do very many.

Also take a look at auto-import options under Tools in the menu.  It isn't exactly what you want, but it may help.

MC can auto convert to MP3 when you sync to a device, so there's no need to do it in advance.  It will also keep a cache of converted files.

chippwalters

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »

Hi JimH,

Thanks for answering. I understand I can move them manually. When I first tried the trial MC13 version a couple months ago, I seem to recall it automatically sorted and filed correctly hundreds of mp3's I had. Or am I not recalling this correctly? (Vista)

According to the documentation, there is an option to automatically file an imported mp3. Is this not the case anymore? It seems now that I've purchased it and updated to the latest version (using check for updates), the auto-file feature either isn't working, or I don't have it setup correctly.

So, the first part in troubleshooting this problem, is for me to understand if there is such a feature or not. If there is an auto-file on import feature, then the second part of troubleshooting would be focussed on what settings I have incorrectly made which has disabled this feature.

Thanks again for your help.

-Chipp

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:29:54 pm »

MC does not automatically move files. It can automatically import files and, for instance, search and download cover art (when available).

I think most users prefer to use the excellent "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool that allows to configure the destination location rules.

A fully automatic file mover could work, but then the file tags should always be correct before new files are imported. Apple's implementation is not very good because it does not allow any user configuration.

If you are sure that the tags are fine you can simply quickly select all files and run the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool. MC will then process only the files that need to be moved.

iTunes converts wma files automatically because Apple didn't want to include wma playback support in the Windows version of iTunes. That is stupid because when lossy files are converted to another lossy format the resulting audio quality is always reduced. The procedure is called transcoding and there is always some generation loss unless the source and destination formats are truly lossless. In this case only WMA Lossless can be converted to Apple Lossless or uncompressed Wave or AIFF without generation loss.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

chippwalters

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:47:47 pm »

Alex,

Super, thanks so *VERY* much for you clear and concise answer! Much appreciated :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up