INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multiple instances setting: bug?  (Read 811 times)

evilhobo

• Recent member
multiple instances setting: bug?
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:16:06 pm »

I've been glad to find that there is indeed a multiple instances setting in jrmc (buried as it is). However, its behaviour seems to be buggy.

If i have a single instance of jrmc running and i set the multple instance flag, i can start another instance (as expected). However, should i close the first instance, the flag gets unset!

The setting appears to be persistent only as long as the original instance is open!

Is this a bug?

evilhobo

• Recent member
Re: multiple instances setting: bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:29:59 pm »

Ok, progress...

It turns out that starting media server is what clears the registry value (from 1 to 0).

I can see how that might make sense, as if you have the media server running and you right click the tray and choose show media centre, you really want to limit yourself to a single instance.

But i still think that if you ticked the option for multiple instances, then the setting should not be reset automatically!

anyway, my current solution will be to run a batch script to run media server then rewrite the key to 1.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: multiple instances setting: bug?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:44:56 pm »

This was changed a while ago so that you can't use both media server and multiple instances.  It was causing confusion for some users.

Except in advanced cases, I would recommend one instance with multiple zones.  Multiple instances can get you in trouble with things like servers, scheduler, television recording, etc. since both instances will do the same work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up