INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External HD  (Read 1853 times)

Dzikus-007

External HD
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:34:32 am »

Hello - I've been using MJ12049 for about 6 months. All my music is in a external HD and I guess the rest of MJ info was in my laptop's HD, which all of the sudden did not want to boot up; I replaced  it with a new one.
I just downloaded and installed MJ12 updated on 10-21-2008 and restored my last back of my library. MJ displays "my music", but I cannot play anything and keeps sending me a message that says "MJ found errors while tagging and moving files. Check that files exist, are not read only, and are not in use by other programs".

Please, tell me what to do to keep enjoying my music. Since, I'm installing everything again, could you also be kind to tell me what is the right way to install MJ, so that it can be fully portable. I travel a lot and I would like to bring with me only my tiny 250GB external HD. I have access to administrators rights in all computers of the places I travel around. All I'd love to do is to use a USB port of any PC and connect my external HD to play my music. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: External HD
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:09:20 am »

I think you need Media Center for Portable Install.

Dzikus-007

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:48:13 am »

Thank you for replying Mr Chriz. It seems I have two problems: (1) How to make my new MJ, installed in my new HD of my laptop, plays all my music that is in my external HD. Before replacing the HD of my laptop, I used to play my music that way without any problem. Would you, please, give me details about how to fix this issue. Problem (2), portability, if you could also give me some info about how MC can fix this issue it would be appreciated.

At this moment, to solve problem (1) is the most important. I can only see all my songs with a red cross in a yellow circle on the right side of the pane. I can deal with portability issue at a later time.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:21:21 am »

So how do the file paths differ now? Is just the drive letter different?

If yes, could you change the drive letter with the Windows Disk Management tool? If that is not possible you can replace partial file paths with the "Find and Replace" tool inside MJ - i.e. fix the database so that it points to the correct location.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dzikus-007

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:31:37 pm »

Thank you, Alex!!!   I am so happy enjoying my music again!!!   I changed the drive letter from "E" to "K" and everything works wonderfuly.

Could you tell me something about my wish of portability that I mentioned before?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:01:27 am »

When you run through the MC installer if you choose advanced instead of express, there is a portable install option.  People's mileage vary with it..
You need to install a non portable version first.

I run my system portably, and it works quite well.  I take the Hard disk away from my desktop machine,
plug it into my laptop machine and it works ok.  There's a few smaller bugs which don't get much attention at the moment because not that many people are using it, but it's getting better and better.

Dzikus-007

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:52:24 pm »

Thank you, Mr Chriz! That's exactly what I need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up