INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Interaction of MC13 and Girder  (Read 876 times)

jmlogan

• Recent member
Strange Interaction of MC13 and Girder
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:57:28 am »

All -

I recently upgraded to MC13 on my WinXP,SP3- based media server, which uses Girder 3.3 for a variety of control functions.  For some reason, whenever I use Theater Mode in MC13, it causes Girder's CPU consumption to jump to 40-50%, and it stays there even after I exit Theater Mode.  The only way to get Girder to stop chewing up CPU cycles is to exit and restart the program.

This isn't a random or intermittent problem - it happens every time I enter Theater Mode.  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both MC13 and Girder to no effect.

Does anyone have any insights into this behavior?  I've used the same configuration with MC12 since its initial release without this problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to either fix or further narrow down the problem.

Jim L.

jmlogan

• Recent member
Re: Strange Interaction of MC13 and Girder
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »

Update:

Based on some additional troubleshooting, this problem is independent of Theater View.  It is actually related to the use of the G-Force visualizer in full-screen mode (I use G-Force all the time in Theater View, so I mistakenly assumed that's what triggers the problem).

As soon as fullscreen display mode is engaged with G-Force active, Girder begins to use substantial CPU time for no apparent reason.  It appears to be receiving messages from somewhere (the message count increases), but the Girder logger shows no events from input devices, so the messages it's processing must be either imaginary or generated internally (program-to-program).

Perhaps MC13 sends messages to G-Force that are being mistakenly picked up by Girder somehow?

Very mysterious (and annoying) problem...

Edited on 3/22/2009 @ 1515 EDT:

Further update (although I hate to keep posting to my own thread)...

Additional testing suggests that this is almost certainly a problem specific to MC13 and how it implements full-screen mode.  The problem doesn't occur when G-Force is used in stand-alone mode, nor does it happen in MC12.

For now I have been forced to down-grade to MC12 to keep from frying my CPU.  I woulkd appreciate any and all suggestions as to how to further troubleshoot the situation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up