INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 13.0.143 -- Available Here  (Read 12287 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 13.0.143 -- Available Here
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:18:39 am »

This is the latest version of MC 13.0.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC13.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC13/MediaCenter130143.exe

13.0.143 (03/20/2009)

1. NEW: Added WASAPI device option to flush the soundcard's buffer on pause (to fix cards that keep looping their buffers while paused).
2. Fixed: Old style Theater View skins could crash on navigation.
3. NEW: Updated the "Hairstyle" Theater View skin to use newer roller-based animation.
4. NEW: Added new video fields "Director", "Producer", "Screenwriter", "Original Title", "MPAA Rating", "MPAA Rating Description", "Country", "Tagline", "Video Standard", "Aspect Ratio", "Actors", and "Studios".
5. Changed: Importing of "My Movies" export files is done using "Import Playlist..." tool.
6. Fixed: When running "Import Playlist..." the Open File dialog did not show txt and xml files when user chose "All playlist types" filter.
7. Changed: Starting or stopping recording a TV program while watching the program will no longer reverse TV's paused state, nor will it jump to live position.

13.0.142 (03/19/2009)

1. Fixed: Selecting secondary rollers in Theater View plugins was not possible when using the alternate navigation model.
2. Changed: Changed default Theater View frame rate to 60 fps instead of 30 fps.
3. NEW: Theater View file info panel image uses true 3D rendering and uses a background thread to perform image loading.
4. Changed: Making an SDK request for a thumbnail will always resave the thumbnail instead of returning the file already on disk if the thumbnail was previously requested.

13.0.141 (03/18/2009)

1. NEW: MC will import My Movies xml for ripped DVDs.  Expect rough edges.  Many fields are ignored at this stage.
2. NEW: Added advanced Theater View option "Use alternate navigation model".
3. Changed: Viewing Television "Recordings" in Standard View will sort with the most recent recordings at the top of the list instead of the bottom.
4. Changed: Viewing Television "Recordings" will also include programs that are currently recording.
5. Changed: Enlarged the size of the file info panel shown on the right of file lists in Theater View.
6. Changed: The duration of a television program is shown long-hand instead of as "30:00" in Theater View.
7. Changed: Simplified Theater View Television view.
8. Fixed: The Audible store could create an "Audible Titles" smartlist even if the store was never being used.
9. Fixed: Smartlist rules built on playlists that used "is all" did not work properly.
10. Fixed: Configuring TV device could cause MC to crash if the TV device failed to initialize for whatever reason.
11. Changed: Updated German language file (thanks to Bytestar).

13.0.140 (03/13/2009)

1. Optimized: More speed improvements to filename-based fields for faster searches and view loading.
2. Optimized: Album analyzer (fills album artist auto, mix albums, etc.) is much faster.
3. Changed: In JRiver edit boxes, Shift+Delete did not place the deleted text on the clipboard.
4. Fixed: When using WASAPI, pausing playback, then starting another track, a little of the previous track could play.
5. NEW: Reworked how 'Recently Imported' and 'Recently Ripped' are pruned at shutdown -- always keeps things 7 days old or newer, keeps last 50 items (breaks on album boundaries), removes entire playlist after nothing new for 30 days. (Options > General > Advanced > Clear 'Recently Imported' playlist skips this logic and deletes the playlists on shutdown)
6. Fixed: On a fresh install, the stock smartlist "Recently Played" could show files that had not yet been played if nothing in the library had been played.
7. Fixed: Using a startup volume setting could cause the setting to unexpectedly get applied when new playback was started in a zone.
8. Fixed: Television recordings would always be detected as having external changes by auto-import, causing an unnecessary file analysis and rebuilding of thumbnails.
9. Changed: When navigating left on a secondary Theater View roller, it will skip the blank spot.
10. Changed: When looping right on a secondary Theater View roller, it will skip the back and blank spots.

13.0.139 (03/12/2009)

1. NEW: Theater View second roller has blank spot and back item.
2. Changed: Included more complete Spanish translation.
3. Optimized: Improved performance of core filename parser, making many operations (especially searches and views that are based on paths) faster.
4. Optimized: Core date handling routines faster.
5. Fixed: Theater View playlist navigation was not working properly.
6. Changed: Updated all translation files to include the latest strings, and removed obsolete strings.
7. Fixed: JRiver Bitrate Monitor/CoreAVC Decoder/DirectVobSub combination in video playback did not work (black screen).

13.0.138 (03/11/2009)

1. NEW: Added functions Length(...), Left(...), and Right(...) to the expression language.
2. NEW: Added function Math(...) to expression language for evaluating mathematical formulas.
3. Fixed: Spectrum analyzers would not update properly when resizing the player window.
4. Optimized: Reduced resource usage (slightly) when playback is stopped.
5. Fixed: Fast forwarding/rewinding television had bursts of sound if audio output was SPDIF.
6. Changed: Added support for ID3v2.2 TCO (genre) and TPA (disc number) frames.
7. Optimized: Numerous core database optimizations to improve performance for libraries with a lot of playlists.
8. Fixed: Video stream selection changes were not saved to database.

13.0.137 (03/10/2009)

1. Fixed: When viewing Theater View's root with playback stopped, pressing the Green button on an MCE remote will shift the keyboard focus to Media Center in the event that a different program was focused.
2. Fixed: The default button on a dialog could draw unreadable text with the Noire skin.
3. Fixed: Media Editor's file save dialog didn't always work nicely on Vista / Windows Server 2008.
4. Changed: During ATSC digital channel scanning, analog channels (those with minor channel number 0) are ignored.
5. Fixed: Navigating into some Theater View roots did not work (only applies to build 136).
6. Optimized: Many optimizations to improve Theater View view switching performance.
7. NEW: When using a list management window (like Theater View views, etc.) double-clicking an item will edit it, and double-clicking an empty area will add a new item.
8. Fixed: The Customize View dialog would show a "Commands..." button instead of the list of buttons in cases where it didn't need to.
9. Fixed: Internal Volume control was not available for some analog TV tuners that should have internal volume control.
10. Fixed: Library views that showed stacks of files based on a date-type field would not work correctly when navigating into the stack.
11. Changed: Pushing left to go back in Theater View will focus the leftmost item on the secondary roller, another left will go to the top roller, and another left will return to the home view.

13.0.136 (03/09/2009)

1. Changed: Reenabled background cover art lookup by default, but capped how many covers a silent auto-import will get each run.
2. Changed: Removed page up / page down support in Theater View rollers (also MCE remote channel buttons).
3. Changed: Navigating all the way left on a secondary roller in Theater View will shift focus to the main roller.
4. Changed: Faded the text more of duplicate times in Theater View's television view.
5. Fixed: With certain hardware, the volume on screen display could flash each pause, seek, etc.
6. Fixed: Theater View navigation could fail when using a language other than English.
7. Optimized: Switching between different library views in Theater View is faster.

13.0.135 (03/06/2009)

1. Optimized: When the program is minimized, there is one less user-interface related thread running (albeit the thread was mostly idle).
2. Changed: Theater View's Playing Now didn't show the playback commands roller.
3. Fixed: Reading MP3 tags could crash in rare cases.
4. Changed: MC will show a message box and put TV tuner device in error state when repeated attempts to record a television channel fail due to low signal or faulty tuner device.
5. Fixed: "ScreenGrab to File" in DVD/Video did not save image in user specified location.
6. Changed: By default, auto-import will not analyze audio or get cover art.  These can still be enabled in Options > Library & Folders.

13.0.134 (03/05/2009)

1. Changed: Added Configure buttons to "Select Filters" window to display DirectShow filter property pages if available.
2. Fixed: In-place edits could show the edit control shifted down more than expected.
3. Changed: The FormatDate(...) expression function accepts a new format "DateTime" that formats using the system format and includes the time. ("Date" style doesn't include time)
4. Optimized: Removed some file system I/O done at program startup, making startup faster.
5. Optimized: Switched all stock skins to use only PNG image types for faster skin loading.
6. Changed: Streamlined television OSD when recording/starting/changing channel.
7. NEW: Revised Theater View roller layout to make player controls (pause, playback, vol, etc.) more visible.
8. NEW: Added The Onion as a Theater View news site.
9. Changed: Improved how Theater View news works with roller-based Theater View skins like Obsidian.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Media Center 13.0.143 -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:28:42 pm »

SiGuy, your post is here.

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »

4. Changed: Making an SDK request for a thumbnail will always resave the thumbnail instead of returning the file already on disk if the thumbnail was previously requested.

Thanks !!! It's working.

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 13.0.143 caused duplicate Images
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:58:09 pm »

After installing the current release it caused all my albums cover file to duplicate every
image.  It took me an hour to clean them all out.

Skylar  ::)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:07:37 pm »

After installing the current release it caused all my albums cover file to duplicate every
image. 
You may be accidentally importing your cover art directory.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:19:46 pm »

5. NEW: Reworked how 'Recently Imported' and 'Recently Ripped' are pruned at shutdown -- always keeps things 7 days old or newer, keeps last 50 items (breaks on album boundaries), removes entire playlist after nothing new for 30 days. (Options > General > Advanced > Clear 'Recently Imported' playlist skips this logic and deletes the playlists on shutdown)

Seriously, can we have the old method back as an option?  This is a giant leap backwards in usability (for me, a deal breaker).  I would never want anything 'automatically' deleting items from my Recently Imported playlist.  Please, please, please give us the option to disable this new feature (added in build 140).

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

Seriously, can we have the old method back as an option?  This is a giant leap backwards in usability (for me, a deal breaker).  I would never want anything 'automatically' deleting items from my Recently Imported playlist.  Please, please, please give us the option to disable this new feature (added in build 140).

You can create a smartlist that that sorts your library by date imported going back as many days or years as you want.  The functionality you want is still there, you'll need to create a custom smartlist to get it.

I rather like the idea of the recently imported list getting automatically pruned intelligently.  My recently imported list just grows and grows till I notice it is getting longer than is convenient and I decide to manually prune it down.

)p(

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:43:03 am »

1. NEW: MC will import My Movies xml for ripped DVDs.  Expect rough edges.  Many fields are ignored at this stage.

Works ok for some dvd's I tested. I am guessing this will be expanded to cover individual video files soon? If so maybe it would be a good idea to also write tags changes within mc to mymovies.xml. This could give us as an added bonus the much requested sidecar file functionality for video files who are not able to store tags inside them.

peter

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 06:40:26 am »

With this version, my computer has rebooted 5 times with a BSOD... Happend 4 times when I was navigating in videos with Theater View, and once when it was idling at start screen in theater view.

I upgraded last night.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:09 am »

With this version, my computer has rebooted 5 times with a BSOD... Happend 4 times when I was navigating in videos with Theater View, and once when it was idling at start screen in theater view.

I upgraded last night.
A blue screen is a hardware error.  Kaspersky anti virus?  See the thread called "Stability" in my signature and the last post on the last page.

KingDazza

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:39 am »

Since this update I've noticed a bug or change whilst watching video files in display view.  If I now click on pause or even the first time I press fast forward, it comes up with the volume display as a percentage at the bottom of the screen, even though I'm not changing the volume.  Before the update when I used to press pause it would, for example, just tell me time elapsed/remaining time.  It still does if I'm listening to music in dispaly view, but for avi files etc on video it insisits on just showing me the current volume level.  Please fix as I want to see time remaining in paused status, not volume level.

Thanks. 

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 09:08:59 am »

You can create a smartlist that that sorts your library by date imported going back as many days or years as you want.  The functionality you want is still there, you'll need to create a custom smartlist to get it.

I need (have to) manage the deleting of Recently Imported manually and smartlists of any form will not do. I've been an MJ/MC power user for 8+ years, I know how to use the product, the old implementation worked perfectly for my needs & is a big reason I continue to use MC.

nuke2000

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 11:10:42 am »

I am having problems with multiple users on vista. Works fine under the account it was installed with but does not function under other user accounts (opens and freezes)

Any ideas?

edit - tried uninstall and reinstall using other user account but seems to only function under account it was first installed under. It is on a brand new fresh install of vista 64bit. tried an earlier version -same issue

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:13:08 am »

You could start with the "Stability" link in my signature.

Make sure there isn't another window behind the main window.

johnpapkones

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 12:39:35 pm »

You may be accidentally importing your cover art directory.
It happens to me too without do anything. Just programm added again all images and i don't know what to do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »

It happens to me too without do anything. Just programm added again all images and i don't know what to do.
Compare the file locations of two duplicates.  Hover the mouse over each to see the location.

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 13.0.143 -- Duplication of Images
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:48 pm »

I simply updated, nothing more.  When done, all images were duplicated.  I always click
on audio, then on images to be sure that all is OK, this time, the images were all duped.

Skylar

UPRRGUY

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:03:04 pm »

I can't use the action window to send a music file to an external drive. I only get the choice of sending it to the burner.  In this case I am using a Sandisk 4 gb card for my phone. I used to be able to right click and use the "send to" option or drag a file to the action window and then upload the files to the drive. MC12 did this just fine. Any version of MC13 does not have this option. Any help on this? Thanks, Mark  ;D

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 12:42:13 am »

A blue screen is a hardware error.  Kaspersky anti virus?  See the thread called "Stability" in my signature and the last post on the last page.

This is my living room computer and this is the first BSOD ever. No new programs or hw installed other than MC upgrade. No antivirus. Always happens in theater view. But i'll start a new thread on it, when I have time to investigate more.

Btw, I asked earlier if bugs need to be reported for every version or if you keep track of them. Never got a respons on that...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 03:28:15 am »

a reminder...

1) A customized column setup in the "rip details" view is not saved.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51060.msg349073#msg349073

2) An MPL playlist that consists of CD and DVD files doesn't import the filename values at all and the imported files do not appear in the CD database.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50889.msg348217#msg348217
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:50 am »

This is my living room computer and this is the first BSOD ever. No new programs or hw installed other than MC upgrade. No antivirus. Always happens in theater view. But i'll start a new thread on it, when I have time to investigate more.

Btw, I asked earlier if bugs need to be reported for every version or if you keep track of them. Never got a respons on that...

Theater View uses 3D.  Your video driver may have a problem.  Please start a new thread on the problem.

Edit: One change made in this version is the frame rate for Theater View.  It defaults to 60 frames per second now.  Your video driver may not like that.  You can change the frame rater in Tools/Options/Theater View/Advanced.  Try 30 Fps, which was the old default.  There is also an option for high quality drawing.  You could try changing that, too.

Report bugs until they're fixed.  We don't track them since a good share of them aren't ours.

johnpapkones

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:31 am »

Compare the file locations of two duplicates.  Hover the mouse over each to see the location.
It doesn't bring me the two files into 'Recently Imported'. Just when use 'Run Auto-Import Now' as usual (and also i haven't add new files) it runs 'Getting cover art...' from the begining. And this doesn't happen al the time and every time it gets different number of files and if it gets for example 2000 files it imports as new 13.

Beatnik62

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I like music ...
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 01:41:26 am »

I found a problem (maybe a bug) in MC 13.0.143 while playing a MPG-1 video. If I click the 'stop' button the video won't stop. After a second or two I'll get a popup which say that Windows has detected a problem within MC and if I want to send a report to Microsoft. What ever I choose (send / don't send) after my answer MC terminate itself.

The video plays well and can be stopped in VLC, Microsoft Media Player, Winamp, Nero ShowTime, PowerDVD and even in MC 12.0.530.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 05:29:58 am »

'Sort by' in view scheme advanced rules seems broken.  I currently cannot change any of the sort by rules in my views... once I make a change and apply, then return to check to the settings the original rules have been reinstated...

Mark

dcwebman

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 07:15:01 am »

I don't recall this happening before. If I resize the tree to the smallest possible width, go into a mini-skin and then back again into Display View, the tree width is changed back to a wider width, requiring me to resize it once again.
Jeff

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 03:19:25 pm »

After using "Add to Playing Now" you must click on the display for the mouse/scroll-wheel focus to return before you can return to browsing albums with the scroll-wheel.

Right-click functionality is not working at all in 3-D views, so you are left with Play or Cancel.
. . . the game is rigged

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 03:57:02 pm »

Works ok for some dvd's I tested. I am guessing this will be expanded to cover individual video files soon? If so maybe it would be a good idea to also write tags changes within mc to mymovies.xml. This could give us as an added bonus the much requested sidecar file functionality for video files who are not able to store tags inside them.

peter

How do "individual files" in My Movies work?  Disc location showing where the file is?  Do we have to get the file type (extension) from the location string?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:08 pm »

1) A customized column setup in the "rip details" view is not saved.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51060.msg349073#msg349073

This bug seem to occur only occasionally or maybe even somehow fix itself...

BTW the bug you talked about doesn't seam to happen for me!? My column setup seams to be saved...

Suddenly also my setup is saved. Before reporting the problem as a bug in the release thread I did all kinds of tests and each time the ripping view was resetted to the default when I came back from another view. I really don't know what is going on.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MusicHawk

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 06:17:34 pm »

Re the Ripped... view columns being saved, mine weren't for a while, now they are, but if I do some tweaking sometimes it doesn't stick either, but then eventually it does. It would be helpful to know the circumstances when MC saves customization of these views.

What I really want is for all my Audio views/playlists to be identical, so wherever I work in my database all the info is in the same place, as I did in MC12. To do this I apply my fine-tuned columns design to the top of the Audio tree, but unfortunately that can't be done to the Playlists section. This would be a slam-dunk if Playlists, including the Recently... views/playlists, allowed their Customize View action to see and load a view design that was saved elsewhere (and have that design stick).

The column design problem plus the auto-clearing of the lists makes some aspects of MC13 clumsier to work with than MC12.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

MusicHawk

auto-rip mode problem
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 06:44:37 pm »

In Options > CD & DVD > Enable auto-rip mode is NOT CHECKED. I've had it unchecked for a long, long time.

However, I just stuck in an obscure CD and MC immediately started ripping it. It couldn't find the CD in YADB so it shows Track01, Track02, etc. I was expecting the dialog where I type in the CD name, artist, tracks, etc, but that never appeared.

This is what I'd call "auto-ripping", yet that is disabled...I thought. This didn't happen until I upgraded to this version. Have I overlooked another checkbox, or is this a new default, or a bug, or what?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 09:36:01 pm »

Did you select Always do the action with the auto run popup?

)p(

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 01:19:46 am »

How do "individual files" in My Movies work?  Disc location showing where the file is?  Do we have to get the file type (extension) from the location string?

I am not that familiar with my movies...gave it a try because of the jrmc support for its format ;)
From what I have read each movie file has to be in its own folder with my movies, so there is no location string in the mymovies.xml.

From what I have seen so far of my movies I prefer pvd by a large margin because of its flexibility.

peter

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 07:14:21 am »

I am not that familiar with my movies...gave it a try because of the jrmc support for its format ;)
From what I have read each movie file has to be in its own folder with my movies, so there is no location string in the mymovies.xml.

From what I have seen so far of my movies I prefer pvd by a large margin because of its flexibility.

peter

I thought you knew My Movies, so I was just trying to get a quick answer from you :)  Thanks.  I will get the local file importing to work.

MusicHawk

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

Did you select Always do the action with the auto run popup?

The New Media Action popup is set to "Ask me each time to choose an action". When I click "Rip CD" in this dialog it continues into ripping -- even if the CD is not found in YADB.

That's not what used to happen. MC would quite reliably stop and not automatically rip an unknown CD. (However, it wouldn't always reliably present the "provide CD information" dialog, so I sometimes had to navigate to the device to trigger this.)

NEW BUG?: I just tried another CD I suspected wouldn't be found in YADB (to recheck behavior). It claims to have found multiple matches, but the Multiple Match dialog displays just empty fields -- nothing to select. It knows it is empty because when I click Accept it tells me to select a CD, but there is nothing to select. I had to select Cancel, and MC went straight to ripping without asking me to provide CD information.

UPDATE: This is a 2-CD set. I inserted the second CD and MC found it in YADB (odd it didn't find the first CD) so it went straight into ripping (normal behavior).

UPDATE #2: The above is repeatable, but... I just put in a CD, not found in YADB, and MC took me to the Edit Disc Information screen rather than started ripping. I've done nothing different in MC, haven't even restarted it, just spent an hour listening and tagging the prior rips. So why did the behavior change (for the better) for this CD? (Oddly, it's a CD I was sure would be in YADB...)

MusicHawk

Disc column won't sort on null value?
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 12:38:49 pm »

I've reported this before in MC12, still the same in MC13.0.143.

I use the Disc column to identify the discs of a multi-CD set: 1, 2, 3, etc.

In Recently Ripped (and perhaps elsewhere), I sometimes end up with Disc 1 identified but the field blank for Disc 2 (sloppy tagging or whatever). Should be no problem to correct. I click the Disc column (it then displays sort "1") so all the "1" values will group together, making it easy to then select all the blank/null values and type in "2".

Except -- the sorting fails. Blank/null values in the Disc field simply don't move, they stay mixed in with the tracks that have explicit values (such as "1"). Why is this?

It's a pain because each track with a blank Disc value must be individually selected, carefully because they are mixed in with tracks that already have a Disc value.

Note that I'm setting the Disc column as sort "1" so it should not be (but possibly is) giving sort priority to another field.

Is there some special logic in the Disc field when its value is null? Is it implicitly "1" even though that isn't visible?

I'm not aware of any other field that behaves this way.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Disc column won't sort on null value?
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 12:45:57 pm »

I've reported this before in MC12, still the same in MC13.0.143.

I use the Disc column to identify the discs of a multi-CD set: 1, 2, 3, etc.

In Recently Ripped (and perhaps elsewhere), I sometimes end up with Disc 1 identified but the field blank for Disc 2 (sloppy tagging or whatever). Should be no problem to correct. I click the Disc column (it then displays sort "1") so all the "1" values will group together, making it easy to then select all the blank/null values and type in "2".

Except -- the sorting fails. Blank/null values in the Disc field simply don't move, they stay mixed in with the tracks that have explicit values (such as "1"). Why is this?

It's a pain because each track with a blank Disc value must be individually selected, carefully because they are mixed in with tracks that already have a Disc value.

Note that I'm setting the Disc column as sort "1" so it should not be (but possibly is) giving sort priority to another field.

Is there some special logic in the Disc field when its value is null? Is it implicitly "1" even though that isn't visible?

I'm not aware of any other field that behaves this way.

A disc number of blank and one sort equivalent.  This is to say that a blank disc number implies disc number one.  This special handling avoids unexpected sort orders when only some tracks have a disc number filled in.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »

A couple of minor bugs, may not be 143 related.

In theatre view, on both Hairstyle and Obsidian. When playing an album for the first time after the upgrade, and with the final list style set with the thumbnail to the left, one track is left without a thumbnail. If you select the track the thumbnail appears, and if you go back to the album, the thumbnail persists. Only a minor one. Doesn't seem to happen with the other two list styles.

second one is a bit more esoteric, and way have been around a while, I think I saw it at the 140 upgrade as well. Again in theatre view, I have an extra top level view called Artists, which drops straight into a view for audio Album Artists. It's set up as the first item in the list. I also deleted the standard "Artists" view under Audio, After the upgrade, the new Artists top level view is still there, but is empty. And the standard Audio "Artists" view has re-appeared. All of my other views are fine, the only problem is the first one.        

MusicHawk

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »

A disc number of blank and one sort equivalent.  This is to say that a blank disc number implies disc number one.  This special handling avoids unexpected sort orders when only some tracks have a disc number filled in.

Matt, thanks for explaining.

The good news is, I'm not quite as crazy as feared.

I think this special behavior has a downside, so here come my arguments... :-\

Is there really an upside? Who would commonly SORT on the Disc field, meaning they value its use, but then leave some of the track Disc values blank? Is that really more common than what I'm struggling to do, which is put correct data into the Disc field as the permanent solution?

In a typical sorted view, several fields need to be correct to give desired results. So why "help" the user with this particular field when it is so easy for the user to put in the correct data?

If a particular Album (the only place Disc number matters) has some blank Disc fields, should MC really assume that "1" is the missing value? If there's only one disc in the Album, there's no reason to sort on Disc at all. If it's a two disc set, MC's presumption of "1" could be wrong half the time. With a 3 disc set, 2/3 of the time. Etc.

Is there a particular view where the Disc value matters -- a view where the value "should" be "1" but it might be randomly blank? Perhaps the Album view? Maybe the special handling can be moved to that view rather than be forced on all uses of the Disc field column?

Or if there's a real need in some situations, for users who can't figure out how to sort and/or update the Disc field, offer a Library field that automatically combines Album and Disc -- maybe "Album-Disc [auto]"?

Or, provide a way (Manage Library Fields) to disable the non-standard behavior of the Disc field.

Where this Disc field behavior really got ugly was combined with MC's new urge to purge my Recently Ripped list. I could use that -- with the "seq" rip order number -- to determine which tracks came from which discs, then add the correct Disc number. But if I don't stay under MC's purge limit (and I don't, apparently), then I have to go find the ripped album in another view and figure out which track is which Disc. A tad to much "help"...

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 04:13:49 am »

when adding value "0" to a integer field it just shows nothing aka null
MT5FR

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 04:32:37 pm »

Intermitently, when in the Recordings section of TV, I cannot go from the top roller to the recordings list. Press down and the highlight disappears off the roller, but doesn't appear on the list. Press down again (or up) and it re-appears on the top roller.

One thing I've noticed is that if the screenshot for the first show doesn't appear on the right side (the picture of the TV is there instead), the problem occurs. If the screenshot appears, it's fine. Don't know if the 2 are related or not...

I can generally fix it by going into Guide or Channels, then back again but that's annoying...

Cheers,
J.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »

Report bugs until they're fixed.

Quote from: eba
When gridlines are set to off, they still appear in lots of places, such as the tag window, any custom sort boxes, the field list under manage library fields, etc.

:)

MusicHawk

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 10:00:24 am »

Re the Ripped... view columns being saved, mine weren't for a while, now they are, but if I do some tweaking sometimes it doesn't stick either, but then eventually it does. It would be helpful to know the circumstances when MC saves customization of these views.

Sigh... It just happened again. I had done quite a bit of customization of Recently Ripped to help tag new rips. It was stable for a few weeks. But I just rebooted (for an unrelated reason) and Recently Ripped is back to default design -- all my customization is gone.

Of course, the ability to apply ANY saved view design (not just a separately created/saved Recently.. design) would be half the cure. But this begs an explanation of how Recently... and other built-in playlist design is supposed to behave. Is customization ultimately hopeless?

fractaleater

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 11:48:10 am »

Database expression via "Add Expression Column" using "Tag(notarealtag)" on wma files cause GPF under Vista.

"notarealtag" does not exist in any of the files in my library, but a GPF seems an extreme response.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 11:07:59 pm »

Can someone please explain this to me?  I looked at the references above but cannot determine what it actually allows?  Is it saying that DVD rips will create an XML file to store tagging info with the DVD?  I would be incredibly pleased if so.

What is the meaning of the reference to "My Movies" in a few places above?  You mean the Windows default folder of My Movies?  I usually re-route files to other locations.

KingDazza

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 07:38:08 am »

Hi,

I'm not sure which version I was running prior to this update, but it has fixed several things for me moving to 143.  It now shows correctly, time elapsed and remaining when paused, watching a video file in display view.  It also now plays Vista Media Center recorded tv files, where by before I was only getting sound.  It now plays them perfectly, I can pause, fast forward etc.  However when I press stop, it causes Media Center 13 to crash - just shows program has stopped working error.  Obviously the files play and stop perfectly in Vista Media Center.

I have not touched my codecs at all since prior to the version I updated, all settings have been left alone.

Many thanks for your continued support and updates.  Since parting with my money a few months ago, I have on the whole been very impressed.

All the best.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2009, 03:09:00 pm »

Can someone please explain this to me?  I looked at the references above but cannot determine what it actually allows?  Is it saying that DVD rips will create an XML file to store tagging info with the DVD?  I would be incredibly pleased if so.

What is the meaning of the reference to "My Movies" in a few places above?  You mean the Windows default folder of My Movies?  I usually re-route files to other locations.

"My Movies" is a movies collection management program.  You can collect/enter/manage movies data in that program, and export the data to an xml file from that program, and import the xml file in MC, by using File -> Import Playlist.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 03:34:36 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up