INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging / YADB Problems  (Read 2651 times)

TL

• Recent member
Tagging / YADB Problems
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:14:08 pm »

Yesterday I began to experience tagging difficulties similar to those described in my 2/28 post.  I'm not getting any cover art at all and the artist, album, and track info retrieval is inconsistant, often not pulling info for common artists that are definitely in YADB.

In Jim H's reply to my 2/28 post, he indicated that at that time, the difficulty was probably due to a YADB server migration which took place that week.

Am I the only one experiencing the recent issues?  Is there YADB maintenance going this weekend?  If there is maintenance underway, is there is any notification that this type of work is going on and may impact YADB performance during the maintenance period?

Thanks,
TL

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging / YADB Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:42:39 pm »

No known problems at this time.

TL

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:35:44 am »

The no cover art issue still persists.  YADB is still not retrieving cover art.  I've tried another computer -- same results.  So it's not just on one computer. No settings were changed on either machine.  No change in performance of anything else on either computer.  There's no readily apparent reason that I can think  of.   Any other thoughts / ideas?  Is anyone else out there experiencing this?

TL

Felipe_br

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:25:06 pm »

I got the same problem.
Can't retrieve any CD Cover Art from YADB database even popular and recent albums as Madonna's Hard Candy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:33:47 pm »

It could be another program causing problems.  A firewall or a pop-up blocker, for example.

TL

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 03:00:56 pm »

Other than the post by Filipe_br, I see no other posts from anyone else experiencing similar difficulty with tagging or album art retrieval.  Is there anyone else out there with problems retrieving album art or just issues with inconsistency in the performance of the YADB when it comes to retrieval of track information??? 

I still continue to experience significant tagging difficulty -- no album art and inconsistent performance in the track information retrieval. This has been going on since late February.  In the response to Filipe_br, it is suggested that it might be another application or firewall/security software.

On my end, I doubt that it is a firewall/security software issue or another application.  I'm not running in the new applications and I have the same issues on three different PCs, two of which are not running any firewall/anti-spam/security.  I have also tried shutting down the security and the firewall on the one with no change in the result.

It's not just an issue with the retrieval of album art.  It's also an issue of inconsistent performance when attempting to retrieve track information.  Sometimes after inserting a disk, the application seems to be attempting to retrieve the track information, but it comes back with no information.  There is no response indicating that the application couldn't find the track information, it essentially populates all the track info fields with blanks, the only exceptions being the track number and the track duration.  When this occurs, it almost seems as if the application is trying to get into the YADB but can't get access.

There are some other quirky things that have been happening as well.  Another example --  on many occasions, after inserting a disk, the reply window indicating that there are multiple information listings for the album will open, but there is no information appearing in the window -- it's blank, no options to choose from.

Also, I don't understand why it would be a firewall/security issue or an issue on my end since I am experiencing no problem with tagging and album art retrieval when I've tried using other applications.  I've run tests with Windows media player and Creative media Center and there are absolutely no issues with the retrieval of tag information.  I used MusicMatch for a number of years before Yahoo got their hands on it and never experienced any problems.  I even had no problems retrieving album art from MusicMatch when using a dial up connection before moving to broadband. 

Although I've never found the MC YADB tagging function to be as responsive or consistant in its performance as MusicMatch (when it was MusicMatch) or Gracenote (Creative Media Center), I did not experience any significant problems prior to late February, at the time of my initial post.  It was explained to me in the response to that post that the problems were temporary and might have been related to a YADB server migration which had occurred during roughly the same time period.  Anyway, the problems persist.

I don't get it. I've checked my settings and everything else that I could possibly think of.  Could these issues have anything to do with the introduction of MC 13, since I'm still running MC 12?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:18:57 pm »

Perhaps you are seeing the issue that is discussed here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51436.0

Have you tried to right-click the CD icon in the tree and tried to get info from the online DB repeatedly until you occasionally get info?

If your problem is indeed the same could you post a report in the linked thread?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up