INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Import Options - the full story please  (Read 1642 times)

rosie

• Recent member
Auto-Import Options - the full story please
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:23:07 am »

Is it just me that find that the VERY important (as it messes with the files/tags) Auto-Import Options could be much better/clearer documented? The documentation (the wiki as of MC13) does not seem to be updated (or I just can't find it?). Anyway, could one of the people behind this commercial software package please explain the full story about the Auto-Import Options? BTW is "Auto-Import Options" the ONLY place to control what happens in the back-ground?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto-Import Options - the full story please
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:55:30 am »

There are several background processes.  You can turn off some.  I'm not sure you could turn off all.

In Options/General, turn off audio analysis and cover art lookup.

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:16 am »

Thanks, but I do know about those two. I am asking for the explanation for each of the options and an overview of all background processes and where to control them.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:06:42 am »

Run auto-import in background.

Enables and disables the background auto-importer. When this option is disabled the auto-import process can be started by using the Run Auto-Import Now tool, which runs through the process once and stops after that.

Analyze audio

Analyses the imported audio files for replay gain and BPM tags.

Build thumbnails

Pre-creates the cached thumbnail images that are used in various views. If this option is disabled the thumbnails will be created on the fly while the library is browsed. (There is also a "Build missing thumbnails" option in Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails.)

Get Cover Art

Searches and downloads cover art from an internet source.

Update for external changes

Updates library from file tags if the files have changed outside MC (it checks the last modifed time stamp).

Fix broken links

Removes the library files that are not available on the disk. Has a sub-option for keeping network files when the server is unavailable (this works also with external drives that are unplugged or switched off.)

The possible tag changes are saved to the files exactly like they would be saved when the files are tagged manually in the standard library view. For instance, when the files are analyzed or cover art is added or changed the default behavior is to apply the tag changes to the file tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »

Also worth mentioning that the housekeeping tasks listed by Alex are not limited to the folders in the auto import list, they are applied across the entire library.

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:30:25 am »

ALex B, thanks a lot for the allways good explanation! Strange it is not in the wiki. Just to be clear, can you confirm that:

1) "File/Library/Auto-Import Options..." show how to control ALL background processes or are there other things hidden in the numereous menus and submenus
2) "Run auto-import in background" control the others so ONLY when it is enabled "Analyze audio", "Build thumbnails" and "Get cover art" will also happen in the background (if they are enabled)
3) In other words I can disable "Run auto-import in background" and set "Analyze audio", "Build thumbnails" and "Get cover art" as I want and control them together manually using "Tools/Run Auto-Import Now"

(my only concern is that JimH said "you can turn off some"...?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up