INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NTFS Permissions Question  (Read 7152 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
NTFS Permissions Question
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:16:27 pm »

I have special permissions set up for the user "media" which is what my HTPCs use.  They are much more stripped down and less powerful because there really is no security present--so I don't want these machines to be able to delete the music directory, for instance.  In many cases this user gets read only access.

The problem is that if I create new content on my local desktop (user Ben) and then move it to a public directory (Video, for instance) then the previous permissions are kept.  The permissions from my desktop are still stored on the files.  This translates into me adding new files that are very often not readable until I manually fix the permissions.

Is there a way to set the permissions so a directory, Video, forces the specified permissions on all files and folders and does not allow previous permission entries to carry over?

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: NTFS Permissions Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:23:34 pm »

You might want to set up a new group that includes the permissions you want to set.  Then add everyone to that group.  It's not just individual file permissions that count, it's group membership and rights/roles as well.

If you are farming the storage out with shared CIFS, you also want to look at the share parameters.

This is one reason I like Fat32 for simple, shared work like a media library.  Fat32 doesn't carry the complex permissions/right/roles/groups that NTFS does.  Just set a read-only bit and you're done.

It's also one of the reasons I've dumped CIFS shared volumes in favor of iSCSI on the home network.  Ease of use, less complexity, and (in the case of iSCSI) better throughput.

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:28:56 pm »

Benn, did you figure this out?
I'm assuming your "public" folder is on the same partition as the source. Then what you experience is NTFS file/folder permission inheritance that's in place by design. One quick way that comes to mind to overcome this is to use a copy routine that doesn't copy the NTFS ACLs for the files in question (obviously not Windows'). FastCopy does that (ACL option unticked), Total Commander probably has something in that regard but I can't be sure. Incoming files will inherit whatever they find, in your case more restricted permissions.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:28 pm »

I still haven't solved this.  The quick work around is if I rip content to my local hard drive because then there are no valid permissions to maintain.  I generally rip to a temp location and then adjust the folder structure / add cover art / etc.

I honestly thought I found a way around this before.  Over the course of the past year or so I've reinstalled my server OS a few times and each time I end up having to reconfigure the permissions.  I thought the checkbox (advanced under security) for inheriting permissions solved the problem.  It doesn't seem to work now so I'm not sure how I resolved the problem before.  I basically want to set key permissions on several top level folders and they should strictly apply to all files and folders without being changed by previous permissions or inheritance.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:57:15 am »

New objects will inherit.  Existing objects don't lose their ACLs just because they are moved to a new folder.

Create a folder on your Desktop (or wherever) that has the permissions you desire, and create your content there (and not on your Desktop).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:37:18 pm »

Again, I would look long and hard at what kind of filesystem ownership and permissions/rights/roles you really need.  I'll bet that FAT32 is 'good enough'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up