INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping a shared database up to date?  (Read 1036 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Keeping a shared database up to date?
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:50:54 am »

I've got 2 machines running MC, with my media on a third machine which also hosts my library. Generally this works very well, but I'm struggling to understand how to get new content to be added automatically to the library, and be available to both MC machines.

One of the machine is an HTPc in the lounge which is used exclusively for watching or listening to media. New media is added on the other machine, which is generally the one with read access to the database. I have auto-load set to run in background on both machine, and both point to the same library. I had expected that when I added content on one machine, auto-load would eventually pick it up and add it the library, and that it would be visible to both machines. But this doesn't seem to be happening. If I run autoload manually, it finds new content Ok. But it's not visible on the other machine. Even disconnecting and reconnecting the library doesn't seem to work.

On the read-only machine, there are no folders listed to be monitored. Running autoload manually reads the items already in the library, but doesn't find any new items?

Any ideas? 

beijder

• Recent member
Re: Keeping a shared database up to date?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem. Adding files tho the library server are not being picked up in the library.
It also looks as if all clients are in read-only mode. Changes to the database for instance manually updates
of tag info is discarded after a re-connect.

How come nobody complains about this?
A good manual or documentation would be a great help...

Guido

beijder

• Recent member
Re: Keeping a shared database up to date?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:58:42 pm »

Ok, stricko, after doing some digging into the help (= online Wiki pages; kindoff manual)
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server it is clear how the server works.

The server only presents the library (database) but doesn't do any thing else.
If you want your files to be imported to the library; MC needs to run to do the job.
The library is read-only for the clients which means that changes to it only work
from MC on the system where the server is running!

That explains why changes are never saved into the library.

Would have been nice when MC would generate an error message or warning about this
when one has opened the library on a different client. Now you get the idea that the
changes are accepted. But after a restart all the work was for nothing!

At least now we know...  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up