INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to rip from a secondary computer...  (Read 2225 times)

BigDogues

• Recent member
How to rip from a secondary computer...
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:37:50 pm »

Hi all,
Is it possible to rip from a secondary computer on a network to a NAS database? I have MC12 ( I am planning on upgrading, hence my post here) on my HTPC which is in my living room. And I have a second computer in my office with a DNS-323 NAS. Problem is that the family won't give me time in the living room to use the HTPC to do my ripping. I already have a few hundred CDs ripped to ape on the HTPC. I'd like to move that lot to the NAS and continue ripping my collection from the office. I also want to be able to load my iPod from the office.
How can I do this short of transferring the server to the office computer (which I do not want to do because it is a Mac Book Pro running Fusion)?
Thanks.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: How to rip from a secondary computer...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:39:42 pm »

I would recommend not ripping on the HTPC.  If you have auto import working properly, then new files you rip should be imported automatically on the HTPC.

BigDogues

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:51:17 pm »

Okay, I'm confused by your answer. I still want to rip using to ape using Monkeys Audio multiple pass correction and load my ipod so how do I set that up?

benn600

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:41:45 pm »

Set the directory (File Locations) that ripped files go to to your NAS directory so ripped files are saved on your central storage area (NAS).

BigDogues

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:35 pm »

Thanks?
Please re-read my first post.
MC12 installed on HTPC in living room.
Want to rip from ape files from Mac Book Pro in office running Fusion to NAS.
Want to load ipods from Mac Book Pro in office running Fusion.

Can/ should I load another instance of MC12 (MC13) on my Mac Book Pro to do this?

benn600

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:15:40 pm »

I didn't catch that part.  Try VirtualBox.  I just installed it on my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro and had Windows up and running in under an hour.  Then you can run Media Center.  Virtual Box is free, too.

Then follow the basic instructions: rip files to your NAS and your HTPC should auto import them.

BigDogues

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:42:01 pm »

Fusion, I have Fusion. VM Fusion.
Again, not what I'm asking.
I think I've figured most of this out.
So I install a copy of MC on my laptop and just direct the files to the NAS. Is it as simple as that? Where do I store cover art? Do I create a folder on the NAS just for cover art or do I add it to tags?
What's a portable version?
Sorry if I seem dense but I've been away from this program for a while since the birth of my son and I am trying to get back up to speed.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:55:02 pm »

The problem is that most of what you're asking depends on how you have configured Media Center.

For cover art, there are at least 3 methods for storing cover art.  You can have the files stored in a central location, next to the files, in the tags, etc.  You can even do nothing and have MC get the cover art from the internet itself.

You should simply rip the files to your NAS and then make sure you have auto-import configured to scan the folder you rip music to--which will be the same path and accessible from both machines.

It is difficult to definitively answer every question because there are so many ways to perform a task.  Media Center has a lot of features!  That's like asking how do you roll your car windows down?  Well, do you have power or the old crank windows?  Or you are in the back seat of a coupe and can't!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:59:09 pm »

Personally I would use a local MC instance and initially rip to a local folder in wave format. Then I would analyze, tag and attach cover art. Finally I would create two converted versions. MP3 to a local folder for the iPod and APE for the NAS.

I could create a step by step guide, but not now. If you are interested I could do it tomorrow afternoon.

In the meanwhile you might want to check this article out (it's about a Macbook Pro & Fusion setup) and install MC13 on your computer.

Here are some general ripping tips: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29157.0
and also here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51060.msg349068#msg349068
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

BigDogues

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »

Okay, after stepping back and re-reading my own reply I made it sound like I was confused about Fusion. Actually I didn't even need to mention it, I was just trying to describe my set-up but since I did, it's awesome!
It's been so long since I've played with MC I forgot about installing after restore and/ or purchase. Will I have any trouble accessing the NAS from multiple instances in future? I'm still a bit confused about the best way to attach the cover art. I'm thinking a separate file on the NAS for art only, or is adding the art to the album folder better?
Alex, thanks for your response. I am curious as to why you would rip to wave and then convert. I assume you would go EAC and then delete the original file after converting but why bother? Why not rip to ape and then batch convert to mp3? I've always used secure rip in the past with great success.

benn600

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »

Different people prefer different cover art storage techniques.  I would suggest thinking your needs through and making the call.  I use folder.jpg files inside each album folder because then the file exists once and is linked directly by the folder structure.  If you put it in a random folder, there has to be some naming convention that links them.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:18:43 am »

It will work but using folder.jpg is a bad idea.

More on cover art is in our wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »

It's been so long since I've played with MC I forgot about installing after restore and/ or purchase. Will I have any trouble accessing the NAS from multiple instances in future? I'm still a bit confused about the best way to attach the cover art. I'm thinking a separate file on the NAS for art only, or is adding the art to the album folder better?

Like Benn said, it is a matter of personal preferences. Since MC13 has now a tool that can move cover art the issue can be dealt later after ripping is finished.

Alex, thanks for your response. I am curious as to why you would rip to wave and then convert. I assume you would go EAC and then delete the original file after converting but why bother? Why not rip to ape and then batch convert to mp3? I've always used secure rip in the past with great success.

No, didn't think about using any external program. I am thinking "green". Why waste processor cycles (and time) for encoding and decoding a compressed format. The ripping, analysis and conversion process would be much faster if the files are temporarily stored in the wave format. In my opinion it would be useful to create a local small MP3 library at this point. The wave files would be eventually converted to the end formats. (Even though wave files cannot hold tags, the library can and the tags will be applied when the files are converted.)

There is the cache option that can "stack" MP3 files under the APE files, but I think when the APE files are on a networked location that may be problematic.

It might be better to use two separate libraries.

One library would access the server (= the NAS in this case), play the APE files and create converted MP3 files to a local folder structure (including the MP3 files that are already on the local drive).

Another library would have only these local files imported. It can be used for playing the files when the laptop is not connected to the LAN and naturally for syncing portable devices and burning MP3 CDs.

As said, I think it might be useful to create a set by step presentation of the complete workflow that I have in my mind, but that is not exactly an easy task.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up