INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't play, locked up  (Read 1674 times)

JayRabe

• Recent member
Won't play, locked up
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:21:54 pm »

Help. I had been using the trial version of MC-13 and I didn't know how much longer it was valid, and I have a DJ gig tonight, so I purchased the license. The problem actually occurred for the first time just before I purchased the license, and I thought maybe the trial period had run out. And when I first installed the license, everything played correctly. But after editing a couple of playlists, now the problem has returned. The problem: I click to play a song or a playlist, and the song shows up in the "playing now" bar, and the time shows eg. 0:00 / 3:02, but it doesn't play. The 0:00 never increments, no sound, nothing. Please help. Couldn't find anything relevant in the forum searching for "won't play" or "locked up."

J

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Won't play, locked up
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »

The problem is/was not related to the license. If the license is expired MC does not start at all.

Please provide more info. Can you play some other files normally? Do the files that cannot be played have something in common? What is the file format? Where are the files are stored? Are the file paths in the "Filename" library field correct? Can you play the files if you simply drag some of them to Playing Now from Windows Explorer? Can some other player program play the files?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:52:34 pm »

Try changing your settings in MC/Tools/Options/Playback.  Switch between Direct Sound and Wave Out, for example.

JayRabe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:57:15 pm »

The problem is/was not related to the license. If the license is expired MC does not start at all.

Please provide more info. Can you play some other files normally? Do the files that cannot be played have something in common? What is the file format? Where are the files are stored? Are the file paths in the "Filename" library field correct? Can you play the files if you simply drag some of them to Playing Now from Windows Explorer? Can some other player program play the files?
Most are mp3, some are wma, same result with all. Some are on c:, some are on remote f: - same result with all. Dragging from explorer into playing now didn't work. The file is found, title entered into top playing now bar, but counter stays at 0:00. Tried Windows Media Player and it won't play anything either, giving "Unknown Audio Error C00D11B1" But music and sound plays from YouTube just fine. Did a java update this morning, not sure if it was before or after the problem. Running Vista-64
Thanks for your help. I'm getting panicky from running out of time and don't want to have to DJ from CD's.

J

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »

Try my suggestion above.  Also try rebooting.

JayRabe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:59:37 pm »

Try changing your settings in MC/Tools/Options/Playback.  Switch between Direct Sound and Wave Out, for example.
Had previously tried messing with playback options, buffering, gapping, etc. Switched to wav out and back, no effect.

JayRabe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:00:49 pm »

Try my suggestion above.  Also try rebooting.
Restarted PC several times, including shut-down, battery-pulled and restart. No effect.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:02:52 pm »

Try control panel/sounds.  Can you play a sound there?

Try device manager.  It sounds like the sound card driver is a problem.  Is Youtube using a different sound device?

JayRabe

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:21:29 pm »

Try control panel/sounds.  Can you play a sound there?

Try device manager.  It sounds like the sound card driver is a problem.  Is Youtube using a different sound device?
Could not play sounds with test button in control panel. I uninstalled the update that I did this morning, re-started, and it works now. It was Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Thought there was a Java update as well, but it didn't show up in uninstall list. Pretty scary when something you rely on doesn't work. Do you suppose the problem was the update, or perhaps something else? Any idea why Youtube through FireFox browser worked through it all?
Thanks so much for your help and responsiveness.
J

Mr ChriZ

• :-D

JayRabe

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:30:49 pm »

Take a look here
http://strom.wordpress.com/2007/04/06/windows-media-player-error-c00d11b1-solved/
Wow. Great reference. It will be next week before I can dig through and try the various solutions, but thanks so much for the link.
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up