INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing library to a netbook  (Read 1467 times)

p7389

• World Citizen
Syncing library to a netbook
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:45:32 pm »

I'm about to get a netbook, and have a question to you all about the best way to sync libraries between it and my main computer. The quirk in the enterprise is that the storage on the netbook will be severely limited, so just copying my FLAC collection is out of the question - conversion to mp3 will be required.

Here are the options I can see, where, I think, only 1 is possible right now:

1. Manually convert using convert format, manually import on netbook... Will be a hassle after a while trying to keep track on what is not on the netbook.

2. If I understand it correctly, we will be able to genererate stacked mp3-versions of all tracks automatically at some point... Doing this, you could then just sync the computers (space isn't an issue on the main computer, so keeping a duplicate mp3-version of the library there would be fine) using e.g. Microsoft sync toy.

3. MC could perhaps sync to itself over the network? Perhaps even automatically? More or less treat the instance of MC on the netbook as a portable device...

4. ...

Any ideas of the best way of going about this?
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

p7389

• World Citizen
Re: Syncing library to a netbook
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »

Right, not much luck here, so let's just rephrase it to a simple question:

When will we be able to automatically generate mp3-copies of the entire library at a select location (conversion cache I think it's called) for sync with portable devices etc?

I'll just use Microsoft Synctoy on that then - I guess that's the best I can expect.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 06:37:07 am »

You can treat any device that presents itself as a drive as a portable device (handheld).   MC can sync to it, convert to MP3, and save the converted files.

Explore the options for Handhelds.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »

You can treat any device that presents itself as a drive as a portable device (handheld).   MC can sync to it, convert to MP3, and save the converted files.

Explore the options for Handhelds.

Thanks; that's very interesting. I had no idea (that's usually the "problem" with MC). Anyway, it looks promising...

Although, I guess it wouldn't present itself as a drive as such, but as a location on the network. I'll have a look around once the thing arrives.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »

You can map a network location to a drive. 

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:50:49 pm »

This makes me think of another thing which I currently am using an external solution for but which I guess MC could perhaps handle: backup. A library backup not just of the library file, but of all the media files as well. This is something I am currently using Synctoy for (to an external drive), but it's not ideal - a tag change and it recopies the entire file... I'm not sure if portable devices is the answer to this though.. Could be, but it seems a bit strange.

Is there something about MC that I don't know in relation to this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up