INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 13.0.132.....erratic Media library builidng & 100% cpu usage  (Read 4541 times)

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck

Up until 8th March 2009   I have been using MC12 with NO porblem whatsoever.

however now Ive uploaded to v.13 from that date and the past week, MC has been using 100%cpu even when just on the screen and NOT doing anything.

I utilise a "Synology 4TB built as Raid5 server (this pc) for my music Library" . This has been perfectly OK with v.12.

For some unacountable reason the library is building both from the server itself...."\\Cubestation\ etc etc  and also from that mapped drive
...S:\Music\Official....etc etc
As a result is counting double the amount and when something is selected it is listed twice in the playing list.

I have looked in MC>Tools>Options>Library & Folders>  and removed the \\Cubesttaion  from auto import folders  and also unchecked Run Auto-Import in background   but the cpu usage is still @ 100% (actually blipping at that MOSTLY on 100%).

this is creating havoc with any software on the pc. I have removed "Lavasoft" (having found some notes on this forum regarding that).
i have also carried out a manual "spybot" test...no issue there.
My AVG is always on....sensible in view of general internet issues.

If I can get around this issue of listing both the \\Cubestation server and also the :.... mapped [same] drive then perhaps that may help the problem.

I have to say that as MC12 it is an amazing piece of software evrywhichway.........I use it for almost ALL things soundwise here.
it is such a shame that MC13 is giving me these problems.

Any help regarding this would be of great help.

Supplied as suggested from the MC help page the system info.

Media Center 13.0.132 Registered -- G:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1092 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1488 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: YAMAHA   CRW2100E           Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active/Enabled)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  Cover Art Finder 3

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC 13.0.132.....erratic Media library builidng & 100% cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:08 am »

I think MC might be building thumbs in the background.

Do you notice this increased activity when you go into a viewscheme with many thumbnails ?

Another thing to try is remove the column Image (small thumbnail) from a view and see if it makes any difference. If so then its thumbnail creation.

Thumbnails built in v12 dont get carried over to v13, unless you do it manually ie copy them over or alternatively ask MC 13 to build thumbnails.

All said, am assuming the problem does not lie elsewhere.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:36:09 am »

Try the Stability thread in my signature for other possibilities.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:34 am »

Do you notice this increased activity when you go into a viewscheme with many thumbnails ?

not quite sure what you mean by "viewscheme"....best explain my present situation regarding MC (applies previous 12 & 13 now).

My library , as stated, comes from my "Synology server" and on MC is kept as the Music Central library for the other pc's here/clients.

the left hand tree is Audio>Artist/Album
the right handview is 87330files shown as Album thumbnails, or in the case of non-albums  shown as relevant thumbnails.

I cant say that when viewed as thumbnails the cpu reacts as stated  ie 100%.As that is always the view.

Another thing to try is remove the column Image (small thumbnail) from a view and see if it makes any difference. If so then its thumbnail creation.

you'd have to explain how to access/recognise the above for me to answer your question please.

Thumbnails built in v12 dont get carried over to v13, unless you do it manually ie copy them over or alternatively ask MC 13 to build thumbnails.

when I rip across or add more to the library I utilise another pc (more powerful) then copy onto the "Synology server". Once done I then MC import to the library.....with v12 as you suggested I usually manually added the thumbnail covers (these are both in the thumbnail library setting folder and also in the actual music folder - for security). As well as MC tagging them.I seem to recall that v13....will check though....once the fills are imported also auto adds the thumbnail.

Try the Stability thread in my signature for other possibilities.

?

whether this is of any consequence I don't know:
MC 13 Audio>Disc Location> shows 2 ?!?    \\Cubestation (the Synology server itself)  &  S: (the same folder  BUT mapped ?  Is this correct and is it partially the problem?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:42:30 am »

not quite sure what you mean by "viewscheme"....best explain my present situation regarding MC (applies previous 12 & 13 now).

the left hand tree is Audio>Artist/Album

Audio->Artist/Album is 'a' viewscheme

Every branch you see in the tree in the upper left under Audio, Images, Video is a viewscheme.

the right handview is 87330files shown as Album thumbnails, or in the case of non-albums  shown as relevant thumbnails.

Are all of them built ie, do all the thumbnails appear as you scroll through ?

If all your thumbs are built, you should be able to scroll through and see those thumbs immediately. If they appear to slowly populate whilst scrolling, then MC is building them on demand and this is possibly why your CPU is pegged to the max.

you'd have to explain how to access/recognise the above for me to answer your question please.

In that right view of 87k files, if you scroll up & down is the small thumbnail displayed (might be first or second column) or not ?

Same as above, do they appear immediately or slowly ?

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:29:30 am »

Every branch you see in the tree in the upper left under Audio, Images, Video is a viewscheme.

OK understood  thank you  :)

Are all of them built ie, do all the thumbnails appear as you scroll through ?

if you mean by scroll you mean dragging the scroll bar on the far right...then yes they appear quite quickly....sometimes a delay but only momentarily. Also while keeping mouse on any particular artist it , after minimal delay, does change the thumbnail correspondent with whats in the artist list itself.

In that right view of 87k files, if you scroll up & down is the small thumbnail displayed (might be first or second column) or not ?

as you said same as above.

SO from your comments the thumbnail is not the issue .

Im still wondering if its to do with my "Synology server"...aka \\Cubestation (that is generally which files are being seen to play), or the "S:\... which is the same set of folders but mapped on this pc (this pc isthe MC server for the household MC clients).

In otherwords does mapping a server cause problems like this, I hasten to add it was not an issue with MCv12

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:46:28 pm »

if you mean by scroll you mean dragging the scroll bar on the far right...then yes they appear quite quickly....sometimes a delay but only momentarily. Also while keeping mouse on any particular artist it , after minimal delay, does change the thumbnail correspondent with whats in the artist list itself.

SO from your comments the thumbnail is not the issue .

I'm not sure as yet, if thumbs are built there is usually no delay at all. They appear instantaneously even if you scroll quickly.

So the next thing to do is elliminate thumbs from your views (only temporarily).

go to your audio view scheme, the Artist/Album one.

Then from the main menu, View->Customize View.

In the dialog that pops up, look at the middle for 'Columns to show', then in the list below, for the item, Image (small thumbnail).

Select it and then press the 'Remove' button. This will remove the small thumbnail coulmn from your files list view of the Artist/Album viewscheme. Hit OK.

Then note if the CPU is still pegged whilst scrolling in the viewscheme.

If it still is then try to restart MC, and finally a reboot.

If the problem still persists then its not a thumbs issue and possbily something else.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »

In the dialog that pops up, look at the middle for 'Columns to show', then in the list below, for the item, Image (small thumbnail).

couldnt find /see this.

on right of that window is Options >Thumbnails/View Details/Tree/advanced/Saved Views

on left of that window is Select Selection to change - Show categories in this order - View as - Sort By

now of the above sub menus show "Columns to show".

cheers

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:57 pm »

Are there any thumbnails in the files view of your Artist/Album view scheme ?

I mean small thumbs, along with your file listings.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:05:26 pm »

yes, thats my means of visually selecting artists then albums

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:45 am »

Open win explorer and navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Thumbnails

What is the *total* size of the 'Thumbnails' folder ?

If MC 12 is still installed, do the same and see what the size of Thumbnails is under

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Thumbnails

What is the difference between the two ?

Given you said you had 87k files, and assuming have art for at least 80% of your files, that Thumbnails folder should be anywhere from 400MB to 1GB.

If its less than that then its possible your thumbs are not fully built.

To rebuild them, Options->Tree & View->Thumbnails->Build missing thumbnails

With as many files that you have this operation will possibly take many hours, best leave it over night to complete.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 05:02:23 am »

Open win explorer and navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Thumbnails

= 224MB 14 files 4 folders   and are all xx.jmd files

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Thumbnails

= 323MB 55 files 12 folders  and are all xx.jmd files also

HOWEVER

My "Music Central" library is located in :

E:\Documents and Settings\My Music\Blackbox .........E:  is  apurposeful misnomer

the pic's/thumbnails are located in

E:\Documents and Settings\My Pictures\Music\Blackbox

= 418MB 2629 files 0 folders and are all  xx.jpg's

assuming that the last list is correct based on your comment

"To rebuild them, Options->Tree & View->Thumbnails->Build missing thumbnails"

I 'm guessing Id not need to rebuild them.

BUT why are the first two in  xx.jmd  and my last one/that's relevant/ in actual  xx.jpg?

Obviously this problem I,m having is not as straightforward to solve as I imagined.

cheers for any and all of your help so far.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 05:35:48 am »

BUT why are the first two in  xx.jmd  and my last one/that's relevant/ in actual  xx.jpg?

*.jmd files in the 'Thumnails' folder are the thumbnail cache i was referring to. It's these very files that get built either on demand or explicitly by MC.

The other *.jpg files dont have anything to do with thumbs, they are your data.

= 224MB 14 files 4 folders   and are all xx.jmd files

= 323MB 55 files 12 folders  and are all xx.jmd files also

It appears that your thumbnail cache for MC 13 is only 66% compared to MC 12. Assuming your library between the two is identical, possibly even larger with MC13, it would be a good idea to rebuild thumbs and let it run overnight.

The main reason i say this that the user has no control over thumbnail's creation. If they are not built and you go into a viewscheme that displays them, then MC will start to build them in the background. This is one possiblity why you see the CPU pegged.

However if they are already built then MC will display them immediately and there wont be any prolonged CPU load.

Obviously this problem I,m having is not as straightforward to solve as I imagined.

I'm not sure where the problem is, but this might take one element out hopefully.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 05:45:24 am »

:) *.jmd files in the 'Thumnails' folder are the thumbnail cache i was referring to. It's these very files that get built either on demand or explicitly by MC.

that explains that at least...........is the , in my case G:\

the default folder, for thumbnials?  I ask as I can't find nay MC>Tools>Options>  checkbox or area to select anywhere different.

interestingly I cant find, other thna *.zip back up files  of the "Muisc Central" library either.

Anyway I will do as you suggested and "To rebuild them, Options->Tree & View->Thumbnails->Build missing thumbnails
"

assuming it will slow things down, overnight may well be a sensible idea too.

Going back to the original issue of 100%cpu usage / the library both listing in the view tree of Audio>Disk Location> etc does MC list BOTH the \\Cubesttaion (Synology server) and S:\ (mapped same drives).

cheers :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 06:30:27 am »

I have no answer to the CPU usage issue (I am not experiencing it), but I'd like to explain the thumbnail system once again.

The thumbnails that are visible in MC's views are coming from the fast thumbnail cache. These thumbnails are always created and updated by MC in the background (and also when one of the thumbnail creation commands is issued manually inside MC). It would be far too slow to access and read (=decode) hundreds or thousands of jpeg encoded disk files when the views are browsed inside MC.

For creating the thumbnail cache MC needs access to the original image files that may be stored separately on the disk or inside the files' tags. These original images are directly displayed (one at a time) in the "cover art" and other some display visualizations and when the "Action Window > Tag > Image" window is expanded by clicking the small thumbnail in "Tag".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 07:00:16 am »

is the

G:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Thumbnails

the default folder, for thumbnials?  I ask as I can't find nay MC>Tools>Options>  checkbox or area to select anywhere different.

Yes it is,

Going back to the original issue of 100%cpu usage / the library both listing in the view tree of Audio>Disk Location> etc does MC list BOTH the \\Cubesttaion (Synology server) and S:\ (mapped same drives).

I don't understand what this means  ?

Goig back to your orginal post

Quote from: MrU
For some unacountable reason the library is building both from the server itself...."\\Cubestation\ etc etc  and also from that mapped drive
...S:\Music\Official....etc etc
As a result is counting double the amount and when something is selected it is listed twice in the playing list.

This is not right.

Either you import from the \\cubestation mapping or the drive mapping but not both.

MC is displaying two entries per item because it thinks the files are different and they are because their filepaths are different.

At this stage you can decide which to keep and which to purge.

Once you decide on that we can proceed.

Its better to delay building thumbnails until this stage is completed.

PS: Please could you use the 'quote' button in the top right of a message if quoting as it makes it much easier to read what was said and what your reply is.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 08:12:53 am »

Yes it is,

I don't understand what this means  ?

Goig back to your orginal post

This is not right.

Either you import from the \\cubestation mapping or the drive mapping but not both.

MC is displaying two entries per item because it thinks the files are different and they are because their filepaths are different.

At this stage you can decide which to keep and which to purge.

Once you decide on that we can proceed.

Its better to delay building thumbnails until this stage is completed.

OK best to fully explain the Server situation 1st.

I have a 4TB Synology server made up as a RAID5 , for security obviously. This has only music files on it, mostly in "FLAC".

The pc, this one here, details shown at beginning of topic, is my MC Server for my other 2 and sometimes 3 (when my son is home) clients.

The Synology server is named as ....  Cubestation. Hence the folder name  \\Cubestation\etc etc

It was suggested that to avoid having to re user name and password log in everytime on this pc to access the Synology server....mapping it instead would make things easier.
This situtaion is confirmed by my WORKING-pc here that is  an MC client  has to be user/password logged in to access the Synology server.

SO on MC tree   

Audio>Disk Location>  are seen 3 folders [+sub folders]

they are:
All Locations (root) (2)
\\Cubestation ....................contains 62935 files
S: ...................................contains 24150 files ....(these are duplications of some of those above).

at the moment it is actually building those thumbnails up.....the count is different though....111497 (perhaps that's related to something else....no idea) 33% already built .

Generally when I add more music to the library I utilise my WORKING-pc to either rip or transfer vinyl   or indeed add other music to the system. Then when completed I add it to the "Synology" server from the WORKING-pc and once completed, from here [the MC server] i add them to the library in MC, usually manually/adding any thumbnails as well.

This has worked satisfactory with MC11  then MC12 with no issues. The problems all began with MC13.

OK that should be plentiful information for now.

All help greatfully recieved.

cheers   :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 09:01:02 am »

Don't follow why you have two mappings ?

\\Cubestation  and S:\

Surely passwords to acess the NAS server work with either or am i mistaken ?

Anyway it appears MC has imported from both of these locations, before you disabled them as auto- import folders.

Now you have to decide which path is the one to keep in MC.

\\Cubestation or S:\

By the looks of it \\Cubestation is the one to keep and any mention of the S:\ path,  in MC is not.

Is this correct ?

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 09:33:25 am »

Don't follow why you have two mappings ?

\\Cubestation  and S:\

Surely passwords to acess the NAS server work with either or am i mistaken ?

Anyway it appears MC has imported from both of these locations, before you disabled them as auto- import folders.

Now you have to decide which path is the one to keep in MC.

\\Cubestation or S:\

By the looks of it \\Cubestation is the one to keep and any mention of the S:\ path,  in MC is not.

Is this correct ?

Hmmm............well unless I,m mistaken    the  \\Cubestation is not actually a mapped item...on "My Computer" its  listed as My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Workgroup (my pc's are Homenet)>\\Cubestation\STUFF\Music>etc etc

So I see \\Cubestation\STUFF\Music   not as mapped but rather as a Network PLace.

Whereas:

S is:
My Computer>Network Drives>S:> etc etc

as this pc has been mapped to the Synology server, hence the S: derivative    NO password/user name is required....as stated on previous reply thats the case on one of my MC client pc's which doesnt have the Synology mapped.

So agreed decision time it is, and as you suggested probably \\Cubestation is best , as it has the most already there.

Having looked in M  there are several places where S: has to be removed.

A clear list of these would indeed help me.

As yet I have found the following:
left tree  aka Audio>Disc Location>S:
Tools>Options>Librarys & Folders>Auto-Import folders> S is hsowing, I previously removed \\Cubesttaion, probably incorrectly

can't see anymore for now.

& PS  the thumbnail rebuild is now at 50300  of 111497  aka 50% ish.

cheers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 10:07:29 am »

If MC sees the same files through two different directory paths that should only be an organizational problem. I don't think the additional files (from MC's point of view the files are different if the path is different) should cause constant additional CPU usage.

If the CPU usage does not settle down after all thumbnails are created then something else is causing the problem.

BTW, you mentioned that you had a working MC12 installation before the version upgrade. Why are żou importing all files again? Did you have a reason to not restore your MC12 library?

EDIT

In addition to creating thumbnails MC may also be fully decoding and analyzing the imported files if you have the "Analyze audio" auto-import option is enabled and the files don't already contain Replay Gain tags in a compatible format.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 10:26:36 am »

Any plug-ins in use?  Try disabling.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:25 am »

If MC sees the same files through two different directory paths that should only be an organizational problem. I don't think the additional files (from MC's point of view the files are different if the path is different) should cause constant additional CPU usage.

makes sense, but how do i gte ri do fthe duplicate S: folder, from MC's point o fview as listed in previous reply.

BTW, you mentioned that you had a working MC12 installation before the version upgrade. Why are żou importing all files again? Did you have a reason to not restore your MC12 library?

that must have been an auto-update issue from MC's point of view, when i checked for any updates it listed MC13 and then just did what it does..as well as cost of course....no issue on that.

In addition to creating thumbnails MC may also be fully decoding and analyzing the imported files if you have the "Analyze audio" auto-import option is enabled and the files don't already contain Replay Gain tags in a compatible format.

Not sure what you mean by replay gain  but I have just unchecked that "Analyze audio" on auto-import option.

Also in that same area the only folder listed is "S:"  whereas the other folder would be preferable ?....see previous reply.

Any plug-ins in use?  Try disabling.

which plug-ins  and where would I find those please?

PS: I must say how everyone in general is very helpful here, good job really as there are so many options /boxes to check /uncheck :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 11:48:11 am »

makes sense, but how do i gte ri do fthe duplicate S: folder, from MC's point o fview as listed in previous reply.
This step is easy to do in MC.

The harder part is determining whether its the right mapping to get rid off, only you can answer this question.

In MC12, which mapping did you use ?

\\cubestation or s:\

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 12:11:27 pm »

This step is easy to do in MC.

The harder part is determining whether its the right mapping to get rid off, only you can answer this question.

In MC12, which mapping did you use ?

\\cubestation or s:\

I can't really answer that Q properly on account of not fully understanding about MC specifically mapping.

But I'll have a stab:

in

file>Library>library Manager>  the location is

E:\Documents and Settings\My Music\Blackbox   

and in Tools>Import

is

\\Cubestation\STUFF\Music\etc etc

I,m not sure if this helps at all

duirng MC12  MC11 previously even  I already owned the "Synology" server...aka \\Cubestation  and had already mapped this pc in explorer as S:

Hope this helps , I admit getting a little confused here.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:21 pm »

and in Tools>Import

is

\\Cubestation\STUFF\Music\etc etc

All that says, you import from \\Cubestation, implying, your library contains data from that path.

duirng MC12  MC11 previously even  I already owned the "Synology" server...aka \\Cubestation  and had already mapped this pc in explorer as S:
So where did you import from in MC 12 ?

Cubestation or S:\ ?

You have to know this before you decide whether to get rid of one of them.

The reason is simple, you might remove entries in one that are not present in the other.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »

All that says, you import from \\Cubestation, implying, your library contains data from that path.
So where did you import from in MC 12 ?

Cubestation or S:\ ?

You have to know this before you decide whether to get rid of one of them.

The reason is simple, you might remove entries in one that are not present in the other.

Hmm I don't know the answer to that Q. But saying that when looking in the MC tree at the Audio>Disc Location>S  it does say which folders/files are there and a cursory checking is showing them both in \\Cubestation & S:

It would take an awful lot of time to check them all....about 22 000 of them.

I understand your reticence regarding losing files.

Heres my , albeit slow, ace in the sleeve.
Although my "Synology " server..aka \\Cubestation is built as a RAID5...hence having its own back up.
not being totaly trustworthy of pc configuration I also have COMPLETE back ups on external drives of ALL my files. Yes I know that amounts to  a rather large amount of TB of Hard drive, but better safe than sorry I believe.

If this also helps  1st and foremost..read previous replies to be sure, he \\Cubestation is the original Synology server folder identification, whereas the S: is just an explorer mapped drive letter for pc convenience of \\Cubestation.
so my thought is that \\Cubestation is the prime one and always has been.

I do hope this helps you sort this out , I would certainly need concise instructions on the configuration of MC to correct this.

PS: 105140 of 111497 thumbnails now rebuilt while discussing this today.

cheers  :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 01:39:21 pm »

Hmm I don't know the answer to that Q.

If you still have MC 12 installed, its as easy as opening it and checking.

I understand your reticence regarding losing files.

You will not lose any files, you will lose the entries MC has of them. Think of MC as one big list of files of your data.

Now depending on how much tagging you have done for those files, this may or may not be acceptable. There are tags that are only stored in the library as well as tags that are stored in the files.

If you remove entries in MC, then you lose what MC knows of that file. But if you do a re-import you get back only the tags stored in the files.

If you have images also in the library, then many formats do not store any tags at all so all those tags only exist in the library.

If this also helps  1st and foremost..read previous replies to be sure, he \\Cubestation is the original Synology server folder identification, whereas the S: is just an explorer mapped drive letter for pc convenience of \\Cubestation.
so my thought is that \\Cubestation is the prime one and always has been.
ok, i also had this impression going by the file count for both locations.

In the meanitime,  after the thumbs have finished, is the CPU still pegged ?

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 02:15:14 pm »

Now depending on how much tagging you have done for those files, this may or may not be acceptable. There are tags that are only stored in the library as well as tags that are stored in the files.

If you remove entries in MC, then you lose what MC knows of that file. But if you do a re-import you get back only the tags stored in the files.

If you have images also in the library, then many formats do not store any tags at all so all those tags only exist in the library.
ok, i also had this impression going by the file count for both locations.

In the meantime,  after the thumbs have finished, is the CPU still pegged ?

Actually your eexplanation above may well inadvertantly be the answer to another isuse that is becoming embarrasing..

Namely approximately 10/12 days ago, not long after MCv13 was installed  some of my files have become tagged with pornographic material. I am no prude at all, but don't wish my family to be faced with this......anyway it's all men... ;D :o  so no fun for me...lol.  I have tried to find the annoying pictorial files that have obviously been tagged to some files  (approx  12 folders of files in all). I have alos tried deleting and then reinstalling...no joy yet.

Anyway I digress.....the above may well be a reason to start again to completely remove them, in which case all of our discussion will have come to nothing unfortunately .?

and your final comment about cpu usage......it appears to have calmed down  a little/lot since the thumbnails have been rebuilt.Theres a +ve anyway.

So if any further thoughts I would be very grateful

cheers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 03:15:10 pm »

Namely approximately 10/12 days ago, not long after MCv13 was installed  some of my files have become tagged with pornographic material. I am no prude at all, but don't wish my family to be faced with this......anyway it's all men...    so no fun for me...lol.  I have tried to find the annoying pictorial files that have obviously been tagged to some files  (approx  12 folders of files in all). I have alos tried deleting and then reinstalling...no joy yet.

In case the automatic cover art downloader added these offensive images (it may have done that if someone has submitted those images and you have the "Get Cover Art" setting enabled in the auto-import options) could you please either

1) select the album files and do "right-click > Cover Art > Get from Internet". If the offensive image is included in the search results you can select it and press the "Report offensive image" button. After that you can select a more appropriate image (if available) and press "Save cover art" to use it as cover art.

or

2) post a list of the artist & albums here so that someone at JRiver can remove these images.

Thanks.

EDIT

Actually the "report" feature seems to be greyed out when the image is already in the local library. You may need to remove it first (Right-click > Cover Art > Remove Cover Art).

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 10:32:23 am »

In case the automatic cover art downloader added these offensive images (it may have done that if someone has submitted those images and you have the "Get Cover Art" setting enabled in the auto-import options) could you please either

1) select the album files and do "right-click > Cover Art > Get from Internet". If the offensive image is included in the search results you can select it and press the "Report offensive image" button. After that you can select a more appropriate image (if available) and press "Save cover art" to use it as cover art.

Thanks.

EDIT

Actually the "report" feature seems to be greyed out when the image is already in the local library. You may need to remove it first (Right-click > Cover Art > Remove Cover Art).

agreed on the greying out part.

Ive now, this morning unchecked the "Get Cover Art".

yesterday after reading youre notes I "Reported offensive image"  and "Removed Cover Art".
It is not there now, fingers crossed it wont come back on later starts of MC, which is what happened before......Be +ve though.

That still leaves the previous issue of "How to remove that duplicated "S:\" link  from MC to finalise the issue.

cheers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 12:41:28 pm »

agreed on the greying out part.

Ive now, this morning unchecked the "Get Cover Art".

yesterday after reading youre notes I "Reported offensive image"  and "Removed Cover Art".
It is not there now, fingers crossed it wont come back on later starts of MC, which is what happened before......Be +ve though.

Did you report all found offensive images separately (one for each affected album)? That is needed before someone at JRiver can verify the reports and remove the images.

If the images have the highest position in the list they will be defaulted until they are removed or until other images are downloaded by a manual selection more often.

If you selected an alternative image or added a cover art file outside the cover art downloader tool MC does not replace it with some other image even if you have the "Get Cover Art" option enabled. It downloads cover art only when the files don't already have cover art.

That still leaves the previous issue of "How to remove that duplicated "S:\" link  from MC to finalise the issue.

1) Double-check that you don't have anything that begins with "S:\" in the auto-import folder list.

2) Go to a library view that shows all audio files in a list (the default Audio>Panes view should be fine for this). Type [Filename]=[S:\" in the Search box, select all found files and press delete (allow MC to delete the files only from the database).

To make absolutely sure that nothing happens to the server files you can disconnect the server before proceeding. You can also create a new library backup file so that you can revert the changes if something unexpected happens. (File > Library > Back Up Library).

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:10 pm »

Did you report all found offensive images separately (one for each affected album)? That is needed before someone at JRiver can verify the reports and remove the images.

Yes as in each folder (aka album ) of files was reported seperately.

If you selected an alternative image or added a cover art file outside the cover art downloader tool MC does not replace it with some other image even if you have the "Get Cover Art" option enabled. It downloads cover art only when the files don't already have cover art.

The offensive items belonged to "NON album orientated files"...aka what is known here as YCGTIAS (You Can't Get That In A Shop). Which means I would have to search for representative pic's/covers for each Artist/folder.No problem there as I,m used to that.the "Get Cover Art" has now been disabled on account of one of youre earlier comments, so that problem should be solved...fingers crossed.

1) Double-check that you don't have anything that begins with "S:\" in the auto-import folder list.

2) Go to a library view that shows all audio files in a list (the default Audio>Panes view should be fine for this). Type [Filename]=[S:\" in the Search box, select all found files and press delete (allow MC to delete the files only from the database).

To make absolutely sure that nothing happens to the server files you can disconnect the server before proceeding. You can also create a new library backup file so that you can revert the changes if something unexpected happens. (File > Library > Back Up Library).

Amazing, on account of what I said earlier I have actual back up files if necessary so I did not disconnect the server or make a back up....risky yes but am getting more confident thanks to youre and everyone elses advice and help.Was intriguing that in that   Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Auto Import Folders>..it still has S:\Music\  there. Do I need to remove that and/or replace it with \\Cubestation ?
In the tree  Audio>Disc Location> now is showing JUST  \\Cubestation

I have to say I am pleasantly astonished at the versatility of MC, as the years have gone by I have removed from the pc more and more software, being very content that MC will do an awful lot.
Also it is now showing the amount of files I expected in total...aka 64232 files.

cheers       :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up