INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilations not showing on Ipod  (Read 7206 times)

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Compilations not showing on Ipod
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:18 pm »

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm still having issues with this, I was hoping MC13 would have finally sorted this out. Some (not all) of my compilations do not appear as compilations on the ipod even though they are marked as Multiple Artists (Complete) in MC. The artists on compilations therefore appear under artists on the ipod with just 1 track. Now I think the problem is that the offending albums are those that have an Album Artist specified, as opposed to MC automatically marking the Album Artist (Auto) tag as (Multiple Artists). I could therefore fix this by removing the entries I have put in for Album Artist.  Bit doesn't that defy the whole point of the album artist tag? Wasn't it intended for those compilation albums where you maybe wanted to specify the DJ or the compiler?

Could someone let me know if I'm missing the point somewhere or whether this might be a bug. I'm using MC13.0.132 and a brand new Ipod 120Gb Classic.

Thanks

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Compilations not showing on Ipod
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:37:24 am »

I've done some further investigation on this and it seems the problem is the same as that pointed out in this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45850.0, which has yet to be resolved. When syncing more than about 100 tracks that are in compilation albums, some then don't show up as compilations on the Ipod. The problem is resolved by removing the tracks from the Ipod, then re-syncing back in batches of about 3 albums at a time. Can anyone at J River confirm that this is being looked at? I'm happy to assist with diagnosis.

belle-isle

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 05:37:23 am »

Hi,

I wanted to add that I experience the exact same problem with MC12, and it would be great if we could have confirmation from J River whether or not this is already solved in MC13 or planned in the near future. I am willing to upgrade to MC13 if the problem will be solved, but otherwise, I just don't see the point !

Regards,

NR

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:34:19 am »

Well the problem exists for me in MC13, so I wouldn't bother upgrading if I were you. Bugs like this shouldn't require an upgrade anyway, they should have been fixed a long time ago, or at least an explanation given of why it hasn't been resolved.

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:09:08 am »

This is just a suggestion - I no longer sync my iPod with MC, but back when I did, I set up a smartlist that contained only tracks that belonged to a compilation. Then I'd sync that smartlist first. Once that's finished, sync the rest. That seemed to be a decent enough workaround to me at the time.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:21:53 pm »

The only criteria for setting the compilation flag on the iPod is if "Mix Album" is true in the library.  You might add the "Mix Album" field to your view and double-check it.  It's calculated by the album analyzer (details are in the wiki).

Is the problem that "Mix Album" isn't set properly or that the iPod doesn't seem to care even though "Mix Album" is true?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:14:04 am »

The mix album tag is set on MC as expected but it seems that either the ipod doesn't care or the tag info isn't getting across to it.

I think the problem mostly occurs when a largish number of tracks are being synced. For instance, where I find an album that is not sitting correctly within compilations on the ipod, if I remove it from the ipod, sync, then add it back to the ipod, the album will be correctly tagged on the ipod. If I were to do this with 100 tracks it wouldn't work, with 15 or 20 it works fine.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 07:02:02 am »

I just had this happen to me yesterday for the first time.  Compilations had always otherwise worked as intended on my iPod (80GB Classic).

Earlier in the week I did a big file tag cleanup of all files.  I removed some custom tags that I was no longer using and some other tag cleanup.  Then I did an "update tags from library" and then an "update library from tags".  Every single MP3 and FLAC file in the library was touched. 

When I did the sync yesterday the iPod lost all the compilations for Multiple Artists albums.

What I did after that was select all of my Multiple Artists albums and do a "Library Tools >> Analyze Audio".  Did a sync to the iPod and all of the Compilations were correctly set.  I don't know why that worked or what was going on. 

Edit:  I should add that all of the files had previously been analyzed.  I had to clear the checkbox in the Analyze Audio dialog to force MC to reanalyze the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up