INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC, Aero and Windows 7  (Read 9557 times)

p7389

• World Citizen
MC, Aero and Windows 7
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:39:40 pm »

A long, long time ago, over at the MC12 board, I started a thread asking about the possibility of having MC integrate more into the visual experience in Windows, i.e. a standard Aero look. MC doesn't use the Windows animations either when minimizing/maximizing; it just 'appears', which too stands out. I know that this isn't functionally essential, but speaking for myself, I would very much like for MC to feel like a part of the OS, and I had hoped that this would happen in 13... But alas!

Anyway, having just installed the Windows 7 Beta, I think it is time to ask about this again, because now with the new Aero Peek and Aero Snap, MC stands out even more. Snap doesn't work, and when using peek, the MC window just vanishes, i.e. it doesn't get the outline as it is supposed to. However, Windows 7 is only in beta, and there is plenty of time to make it behave! (I'm assuming that this has to do with your skinning engine rather than something on Microsoft's end, and I apologize in advance if I'm wrong).

Wouldn't it be great if MC, by the time 7 is released, had these kinks worked out? As well as support for the new superbar task popup?

And can we please have built-in support for toasts (this is unrelated, but I always ask this - someday it will happen!)?

Due diligence: Glynor's long thread on running MC on 7 (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50407.0)
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC, Aero and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:25:29 pm »

My biggest complaint is that some dialog boxes don't use the font set in options (Segui UI on Vista / Win 7).  It makes them look old fashioned.

The minimize thing is because we're a frameless window.  If you put a frame on the window, Aero starts animating minimize and restore.  But it makes the program look funny.  I don't know of an independent way to control it.  Has anyone seen a frameless window that Aero animates on minimize and restore?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:42 pm »

The minimize thing is because we're a frameless window.

It's actually the frame that I want. I'd be happy with a quick hack (I admit ignorance as to how complicated it would actually be - but it SEEMS as it perhaps wouldn't be too complicated...), that'd just add the aero frame to the MC window. MC would suffer a bit from it aesthetically (at least with this minimal modification), but the user experience for the computer would increase, IMO. And stuff like animation, Aero Peek, Snap would also work (I guess). I threw together a quick mashup using the Aero frame with the standard Windows menu from another random app:

It shouldn't be the standard look (well, at least not if you don't put in a little bit more of work into it ;)), but as an option, I'd love to have this, and I'd absolutely use it.

[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:20:47 pm »

Now that's not pretty.   :o
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:56 pm »

I personally would like a "theme" for Media Center where it integrates completely with Windows Vista or 7 look - including transparent bar, menus, fonts etc. and what not. I do not know if this is possible or not but it would certainly be desirable for some new users.

Osho

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:47:37 am »

I kinda wish MC would go back to using stock windows controls as well. There are a lot of small things that you start to notice where MC just doesn't behave like the rest of the Windows apps. Beyond the Aero Snap and Aero Peek, I've noticed cases where text edit controls don't behave properly as well. When they started pushing to rid themselves of all stock windows controls, I assumed it was because a Mac or Linux version were on the way. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:50:20 am »

Now that's not pretty.   :o

Not especially, no. But I'd live with it as a intermediate measure.

I never thought the look of MC was a particular strength anyway, and I'd rather compromise it even further to get some more OS integration.

I personally would like a "theme" for Media Center where it integrates completely with Windows Vista or 7 look - including transparent bar, menus, fonts etc. and what not. I do not know if this is possible or not but it would certainly be desirable for some new users.

Osho

Yes, and for some old ;). What you're describing would be extremely nice.

It's not a dealbreaker to me though. But it would be nice.

I think this is the path MC should take. Apps like Opera are working hard on visual platform integration with their OSX, Win and Linux versions. MC only has Windows to think about!

lucian.jp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:09:48 am »

I prefer the frameless style of MC rather than default window, but I'm currently using Win 7 and the fact that AeroSnap doesn't work with MC irritates me!

oias.heeda

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 12:49:30 am »

Bump!

Osho

This would be ideal....I personally feel that the skins fail MC massively. I think that if it was skinned better, it would help make it a better player in the market. It has the functionality that destroys all other apps, but the GUI really needs to step up to match this. I know this is personally specific but i feel that there are really only 2 skins that are any good. "The Fly and Albedo" and even these look outdated running in Win 7 or Vista". The rest look awful. I don't really know how to make my own, or have the time to. My 2 cents, but this is a major issue for me as i use this app a LOT and it just bugs me that it doesn't look as tech as it operates.  ;)

----------------
Now playing: La Roux - In For The Kill (The Twelves Remix)
via FoxyTunes

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:55:56 am »

Oh the pain. It don't look good at all. I hate the Windows Vista and 7's default windows style. It's rather shiny, but it's way to big and clumpy. Wasting a lot of screen estate.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Daydream

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:54:20 am »

I would also argue that MC should look totally different than anything Windows. I have very little respect for any kind of interface MS designs, and yeah, I'm an exclusive Windows user.
When we said "bling" they said no (so that you had to hack uxtheme.dll back in the days and what not, just to install something cool); when we said "speed", they said "bling" (Vista, 7 and whatnot). Great timing. Their interfaces are made for folks that don't know any better where the heck their files resides, have to be slapped over the face with big icons, front and center - "Click here, here it is, we know better than you".

i feel that there are really only 2 skins that are any good.

You made a fine point but up till that. Do you hear the uproar of everybody that ever designed a skin for MC (which is not exactly an easy job)? For the sake of illustrating the variety of tastes I'd say I use No.4 for standard view and it'll be rather difficult to convince me to use anything else.

Now, getting back to our favorite thing (that's MC, not Windows!), I would also plead for getting some improvements on the skinning side, although I'm eying more the Theater View than the Standard one. Not much, just say 3 months of pro-skinning oriented updates...! :D Seriously, my opinion is there's a lot to gain on the interface side, (even) without tapping into Vista / 7 / Aero features.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:12:33 am »

I don't have Windows 7.  Could someone tell me, does Google Chrome support Aero Snap?
Chrome places Tabs on the Title Bar.
I wonder if MC could do some similar overlapping trick?

oias.heeda

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 05:33:18 am »

You made a fine point but up till that. Do you hear the uproar of everybody that ever designed a skin for MC (which is not exactly an easy job)? For the sake of illustrating the variety of tastes I'd say I use No.4 for standard view and it'll be rather difficult to convince me to use anything else.

You are right, apologies to all those who work hard on skins. Wasn't meant to come across like i was dissing their work. In fact I really appreciate all your efforts, particularly to those whom skin i use. There is a lot of work that goes into one and that's why i haven't made one.

I guess what i am trying to say is that i feel the whole skinning area needs some major work. If you take a look at a lot of the latest apps, they have a fresh feel to them and i feel that is missing with MC. Both theater view and standard. Just some constructive feedback to designers.

Apart from that keep up the good work, this is definitely the best media player application out there. Particularly for those who are serious about their music.

leoric

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:04:21 am »

I don't have Windows 7.  Could someone tell me, does Google Chrome support Aero Snap?
Chrome places Tabs on the Title Bar.
Yes, it does. And it looks very good. And MS Office 2007 apps with their Quick access toolbar and Office button also supports it.
JRiver, pleease...

Matzemink

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:08 am »

It would also be nice if MC could support the preview window in the taskbar like Windows Media Player (show current song (with album art?) and some buttons (pause, next, previous)
Could this be realized? (Win7 and Vista)

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 05:27:48 pm »

The minimize thing is because we're a frameless window.  If you put a frame on the window, Aero starts animating minimize and restore.  But it makes the program look funny.  I don't know of an independent way to control it.  Has anyone seen a frameless window that Aero animates on minimize and restore?

I know development of 13 has ended. I haven't upgraded to 14, so perhaps this is already fixed. But I did just update Seesmic Desktop, and loo and behold! A frameless windows that integrates into Aero! If you haven't already,please make it happen (in 14, I realize, but I will upgrade, at some point... might wait for 15 to be honest though).

http://seesmic.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:20 pm »

16 should be pretty good.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »

More discussion here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53036

I was thinking v17.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 05:38:41 pm »

Is that the one that will finally run on the Apricot?  You guys have really been dragging your feet on that one.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 06:52:39 pm »

I'm not sure, are you making fun of me  :o

:D

What can I say, I'm happy with what I got at the moment. (Considering that this (was?) is my pet gripe, I should be!)

That said, I'm here, and I will give you more money. Maybe even for 14... Is that wonderful glass skin included?  8)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »

We're just having fun.  You were nice enough to start it with "wait for 15".  We had a tough day.  I hope you have a good day or night, wherever you are.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 08:00:49 pm »

We're just having fun.  You were nice enough to start it with "wait for 15".  We had a tough day.  I hope you have a good day or night, wherever you are.

I could spend a couple of paragraphs motivating why that is my current stance, but I don't think it's really relevant. Suffice to say, it has more to do with my needs than with what you offer.

But if I hurt your feelings, let me humbly apologize and state, for the record, that I think you guys are awesome, as is your product.  :)

It's night BTW, 3 am. Time for sleep I reckon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up