INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Associate a Line Input with a Playback Zone  (Read 1335 times)

JackHughs

• Recent member
Associate a Line Input with a Playback Zone
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:41:05 pm »

I've got my zones working.  That's the good part.

But now, I'd like to play an external FM tuner through Zone 2.

The obvious approach would be to route the tuner's line-out through the line-in jacks on one of the soundcards.

Assuming that's the proper way to start, how do I then associate that audio stream with Zone 2?

JackHughs

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Associate a Line Input with a Playback Zone
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:06:26 am »

There's no way to play line-in input through the audio output engine.  I'm not sure it would be too technically difficult, but it isn't something we've heard requested often.

You can use the 'Recorded' to record line-in input.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JackHughs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:14:24 am »

Matt,

Thank you.

Now that I know this cannot be done, I'll try a different approach.

Here's why I wanted to do this in the first place.

I'm using MC to play back into two Zones.  The program material and output level in each Zone is controlled remotely through Windows' Remote Desktop application.

One Zone is almost always dedicated to one of several specific FM Stations.  There are several reasons for this.  First, I like the progam material these stations offer and second, the limited dynamic range of FM broadcast is a benefit in this particular (outdoor) Zone.

I've been trying to substitute steaming audio for direct line input but these stations stream in Flash format.

So far, I've been unsuccessful in getting the these stations to associate with  MC. 

Thanks again.

JackHughs 

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 03:23:56 pm »

With the new feature of MC to support VST plugins, the ability to accept a line input would be helpful. Using Virtual Audio Cable the output of any program could be routed through MC if MC supported a line input. This would also allow any external programs that are specified in the Playback Method under the File Types setup to be routed through MC, too. This way VST plugins for Digital Room Correction, equalization, etc. could be utilized in MC as the final part of the audio chain.

By the way, there is a Line-In Plugin for Winamp. I tried to install it in MC, but did not have any success. After the plugin is setup, you are supposed to be able to open Line-In source using a URL.

)p(

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 04:18:28 am »

+1

If a line input was made available from within mc, I would also use it with virtual audio cable.

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up