INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyse audio - tag of FLAC  (Read 1458 times)

Lobotom1

• Recent member
Analyse audio - tag of FLAC
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:45:45 am »

Hi,

I own a network server on which approximately 13000 FLAC files are stored, and I want to keep integrity of those files.

When I analyse the audio, the FLAC files are "rewritten" but I would like to know precisely what it does :

1) Is it entirely creating a new FLAC file, copying again the music part and adding the tag info

2) Does it only add the tag data (a few bytes added to the files) while leaving the audio part of the file intact ?

I  am quite afraid overloading my server (used for other tasks too) and lose some files in the process if the compete files are transfered locally, then analysed then copied back to the server.

Is someone able to explain me this process clearly about how the tags are modified whitin the music files (only text bytes added or complete rewrite of file)?

Many Thanks,

Lobo

Lobotom1

• Recent member
Re: Analyse audio - tag of FLAC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:33:25 am »

Hi Again,

I found a few hints on FLAC tagging features as follows:

Tag information for FLAC files are held at the beginning of the files in a "padding" space added by default with new versions of FLAC encoder engine.

If this padding space does not exist, or there is not room enough to store the added tag portion, the music part of the file will be moved according to the space to be added by the tag -> in this case the whole file has to be rewritten.

My question would then be the following : is there a way we can show within smartlist for example a field containing the padding size left on a FLAC file.

This would be interesting as in this case I will add replay gain tag info within the files only if there is padding space left.

(sorry for above questions, still quite new using extended tagging possibilities of files)

Lobo
Pages: [1]   Go Up