Poll

What kind of OS R U using?

x64
- 19 (79.2%)
x86
- 5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: x64 problem  (Read 7886 times)

DiViTu

• Recent member
x64 problem
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:28:49 am »

I have XP Professional x64 Edition installed on my comp. And I have no any explorer extensions from Media Center 13.0.152! I've setted up file associations and enabled shell extension, but the problem remained. Whether there is a version of the shell for x64 or Media Center will not combine with x64 operating systems?
I have a radio in my car... (c)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: x64 problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:25:27 am »

FWIW, this doesn't work in Windows 7 64bit either. I think Vista 64 was the same as well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:03:28 am »

Shell extensions are only available in the 32-bit Explorer.  We hope to change this, but it may be a while.

Overall x64 support should be very good.  We develop on x64 with some machines.  I personally use it at home and work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:57 pm »

Shell extensions are only available in the 32-bit Explorer.

At the same time there is some programs that have 64 bit version of Application Extension. Such as WinRAR. Why not to make something like this for Media Center?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:22:24 pm »

At the same time there is some programs that have 64 bit version of Application Extension. Such as WinRAR. Why not to make something like this for Media Center?

Like I mentioned, we'd like to.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »

I wasn't sure where to vote in the Poll, since there was no "both" option.

My machine distribution works out like this:

Windows x86 (all XP Pro): 4 machines full time (plus two with dual-boot, but not used primarily)
Windows 7 x64: 2 (both set-up dual boot, but Windows 7 is the default)
Windows Vista x64: 1
MacOSX: 4 (one "triple-boots" to Windows 7 and XP)

Of those, I use my two licenses for MC heavily on 2 of the XP machines, the Vista 64 box, and on my Mac OSX/Windows 7/XP laptop.  I also use it very occasionally (once per month or so) on one of the other Windows 7 boxes.

Also, FWIW, I keep all of the "Shell Integration" options in MC turned off, so I don't care if this is ever ported over to x64.

When Windows 7 is released, I'll be moving all but one of the XP boxes over to Windows 7 full time.  I'll probably maintain one or two in a dual-boot configuration, with XP, but mostly for "just in case".  I've had little problems with Windows 7 other than an occasional immature driver problem (mostly power-related problems on the Macbook Pro).  I wouldn't use any 32-bit installation of Windows 7 or Vista.  That's just a bunch of work for limited gain (I really wish they just wouldn't release dual versions, and just auto-install x64 on x64-capable hardware, more like OSX).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:35:09 am »

I didn't say that it is necessary to release double version of the software (x64 and x86). An essence of my question that I can't use all functions of software Media Center. Why should I pay all amount of money for the licence if half of functions doesn't work for me? I used Media Center as the basic player. But now using becomes inconvenient. The platform x64 has appeared already for a long time that developers had possibility to create compatibility. I don't observe any progress.

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:44:07 am »

The essence of creation of the software consists in its further sale. Let's admit that the x64 platform is not the same wide seller's market, as a x86 platform. But results of voting confirms that the quantity of x64 users grows. Maintenance of compatibility requires much less efforts, than issue of a new product. Support also consists in this. Correct me if I'm not right.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:24:40 am »

The essence of creation of the software consists in its further sale. Let's admit that the x64 platform is not the same wide seller's market, as a x86 platform. But results of voting confirms that the quantity of x64 users grows. Maintenance of compatibility requires much less efforts, than issue of a new product. Support also consists in this. Correct me if I'm not right.

I'd suggest that this is because this forum has a majoritivly techy based user base.  Since pretty much every Dell/HP machine you buy still (Frustratingly) come with 32 bit Vista, I'd suggest the majority of machines out there are still running 32 bit operating systems.  As far as I'm aware the shell  extensions are the only bit that doesn't work under x64.  This is a fairly minor component of MC, although it would be nice to see it working.   I use MC with 64bit Vista and have no problem with that.  I've seen far worse support for 64bit OS's than MC.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:45:58 am »

As a workaround until JR get around to this.. visit this old thread...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50798.0

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:09:39 am »

Since pretty much every Dell/HP machine you buy still (Frustratingly) come with 32 bit Vista, I'd suggest the majority of machines out there are still running 32 bit operating systems.
I know my last computer, a laptop, was 64 bit bought in November and I'm still trying to get it set up with compatible apps. I'm thinking of a new desktop and at least the ones I'm looking at from HP are all 64 bit because I want some power and so it won't be obsolete tomorrow. Seems the cheapest cheapest computers are the ones which they're selling as 32 bit.
Jeff

JohnM

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:39:48 am »

A workaround would be nice but

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50798.0

are off limits for me...

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:41:38 am »

2 confishy - yes, your link is broken  :(

2 Mr ChriZ - firstly, I'm not HP/Dell user, so it's not ineresting to me; secondly, there're a lot of manufacturers, that already install x64 platform on their desktops/notebooks for end-user by default. U R talking about shell extension as a fairly minor component of MC. OK, let's look: now, to play the whole folder with music or videos I need to launch MC firstly and than drag&drop folder to the player. Is it good?! I'm sorry, but this is such f***ing ( foolish  ;) ) procedure  >:(  By the way there is no full ASIO support...

dcwebman, +1

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 08:57:21 am »

Thanks confishy!

I'm now using the 32bit Windows Explorer in Vista x64 and the MC shell integration works as it should.

Apparently there is more than one way to go about doing this. One method I found involves a registry tweak:
http://extended64.com/blogs/bhpaddock/archive/2005/05/22/539.aspx

An easier method was to create a new shortcut with the following settings.

Target: %windir%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate, ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Start In: %windir%\syswow64\

The other settings can be left at default.
This new shortcut will open the 32bit version of explorer.exe in a seperate process, which enables all 32bit shell extensions.

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 09:58:51 am »

Oh, yeah - solving one problem by this method... but receiving another one, or two, or...
It's not solution! I bought xp x64 not for coming back to initial x86 versions by any methods. I all the same hope for release of the 64-bit version of shell library.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 10:16:52 am »

By the way there is no full ASIO support...

What do you mean by "full"? Is something missing?

The ASIO output mode works fine for me.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:03:54 am »

Why should I pay all amount of money for the licence if half of functions doesn't work for me?

Let's try to keep this in the realm of reality, shall we? If shell extensions were "half of functions" that MC offers, it wouldn't even be worth downloading.

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »

2 Alex B - МС said that there're no ASIO hardware installed, but I've X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Pro with Creative drivers installed properly.

2 Doof - I will draw an analogy: the Chinese cars are in great demand. However it doesn't mean that they are qualitative and all their functions are working properly. Is it possible to name the car "high-grade" if the door doesn't work and it is necessary to get inside through a luggage compartment?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

2 Doof - I will draw an analogy: the Chinese cars are in great demand. However it doesn't mean that they are qualitative and all their functions are working properly. Is it possible to name the car "high-grade" if the door doesn't work and it is necessary to get inside through a luggage compartment?

:-\

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 12:25:23 pm »

I just have the same problem. The "door" is the shell extension. And "luggage compartment" is a dragging&dropping files/folder into pre-runned application. That's simple.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 12:36:46 pm »

2 Alex B - МС said that there're no ASIO hardware installed, but I've X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Pro with Creative drivers installed properly.

This ASIO problem should be handled in a separate thread. (Could a moderator help?)

Unfortunately I have no experience of X-Fi Titanium or other recent Creative cards.

I can only ask some generic questions.
- Are you sure that no other application is reserving the ASIO driver? (Only one program is allowed to use ASIO at a time.)
- Do you see the Creative ASIO driver listed at all in Output Mode Settings after first selecting the ASIO output mode?
- Did you try the "Display diagnostics when starting ASIO" setting? (or did you actually see that error message in the diagnostics window?)
- Did you try different channel offset numbers?
- Can you use ASIO playback with some other program?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:13 pm »

2 Alex B - I've bought this sound card last month and didn't try it on another system...

- How can I know, whether ASIO driver is used or not simultaneously ?
- No, I see next message: "There are no Creative audio products installed and running on the syste"
- I think, that the error is produced at the first driver calling by MC.
- I did not try other channel offset. The option "hardware direct (sound card chooses)" is selected.
- foobar2000 audio player uses ASIO without any errors, but this is weak player.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »

- How can I know, whether ASIO driver is used or not simultaneously ?

Just close other programs that may try to use ASIO.

- I did not try other channel offset. The option "hardware direct (sound card chooses)" is selected.

That is a Direct Sound setting.

Here's how my ASIO driver shows up:

EDIT

You could also try the ASIO4ALL driver: http://www.asio4all.com/
Check the support forum there for information about compatibility with your sound card.

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:23 pm »

OK, and here's how my ASIO driver shows up:

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 01:27:30 pm »

I've downloaded ASIO4ALL driver, but my soundcard is not detected. It's detected after rebooting Windows, but when I lounching any player - there're no sound device in the system..  ?

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 02:17:55 pm »

I've reinstalled Creative drivers and also Media Center. For now, I have no any file associations and have no any shell extensions... That's great! Damn...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »

and have no any shell extensions... That's great!

Tools --> Options --> File Types

Or reinstall MC and proceed through the dialogs (on custom) carefully.  I like that MC doesn't steal file associations blindly by default if you just click "Next, next, next, next" through the install dialogs.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 08:15:23 pm »

There's a reason nobody used XP64... Driver and software compatibility was (is?) attrocious. Things are much better with Vista & 7's 64 bit support.

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 09:30:04 am »

2 glynor - oh, yeah, I know how to set associations. But there're setted up but files still have no MC icons and MC is not default player. After first install it was.

2 Doof - What "attrocious" means? You suggest to refuse the product gained by me, for the sake of one program that hasn't complete x64 support? After this words people usually change the program, instead of the operating system.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 11:31:26 am »

No, sometimes they change the operating system. Windows ME comes to mind.

Attrocious means bad, terrible, horrible...

XP64 has never had a good track record for compatibility. I'm not suggesting that MC is an example of this, but your ASIO driver problem certainly could be.

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 12:28:57 pm »

x86 platform can't use over 3Gb of memory. Vista x64 is too slow in compare with XP x64. So in this case it's better to change the software, not operating system.
I've not had too many issues with XP64, Microsoft has lumped it in with Server2003, so it has the Server class stability and reliability. I much prefer it over Vista because of it's relative light-weight nature, allowing more of your physical RAM for the applications, instead of the O.S.
I have ASIO driver problem with MC only, other software works great, I have wrote about this.
Also Windows 7 is not present in our market-places.

MrHaugen

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 09:32:35 pm »

x86 operating systems can use about 3.2GB of RAM. If you think that Vista x64 is to slow the you should go for Windows 7. Windows XP 64 bit have caused nothing but problems for alot of people. Me included. What you can also do is to run Nlite (or was it Vlite for Vista?) of you're Vista DVD, and remove all unnecessary services, applications etc. Also make sure you turn of certain system hungry processes. I like Vista x64. With enough ram that is...

If you are willing to drop MC over an operating system then I think you have not used it enough yet :) If MC was for Mac users I would have moved to OSX, even though I hate it.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 05:40:09 am »

x86 operating systems can use about 3.2GB of RAM

Quote from ASUS web-site: "Windows 32-bit version can not use over 3GB of installed memory. The system will display less than the total size of physical memory installed, if it's over."

What I dont understand is what extra Vista is providing other than headaches. The only thing appealing about Vista at the moment is its UI and in a distant second is DirectX 10 support. Thats it. It is slower all across the board in general. Vista benchmarks are pretty sad. That's all I wanted to say.

And I have used JR products from Jukebox 7 version. Till now.

U're really not allways believe what U're saying... Do U really believe that U can move to OSX with your comp?  ;D

P.S.: sorry for offtop...

MrHaugen

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:28 pm »

I think I forgot an "64 bit" next to Windows XP there. I like XP (32 bit) and I like Vista 64 bit, when it's tuned right. It's not a perfect OS (windows 7 proves that), but I do not get all the nuts it's getting. It have a lot of improved funktions, reporting, help and troubleshooting, seaches etc. Normally, 32 bit systems DOES use over 3 Gb of ram, even though Asus does not.

U're really not allways believe what U're saying... Do U really believe that U can move to OSX with your comp?  ;D

Are you trying to be funny? I'm not laughing. I don't belive I can move to OSX with my computer. It's a regular PC. Not an expensive MAC. Last time I checked OSx is not supported on regulat PC's. At least in a leagal way. If a MC shell problem in a 64 bit OS are enough to make you switch to the mac you love, then by all means go ahead. I'll not try to stop you again.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

DiViTu

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 08:18:37 am »

OK, I've installed Vista Ultimate x64. And I still have no any file associations and shell extensions. I've tried Media Center 14 and ... nothing. Why not to include in 64-bit libraries for shell extensions to the distribution kit? The strange policy of developers!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 08:26:43 am »

Shell extensions for 64 bit are only working in the latest build of MC14.  Available at the top of this board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up