INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: about to purchase ipod or zune  (Read 4191 times)

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
about to purchase ipod or zune
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:49:17 am »

Hi all,
I am about to buy an ipod or zune. I prefer zune with the large screen. However I see that MC and zune are not supported. Is that right?

I have around 35 gb of mp3 files and several playlist in MC. I would like to just transfer files/sync and play them in zune. Meaning using playlist of MC in zune.

ANy recommendations please?

(oh by the way, I have MC13 latest version).

drb

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: about to purchase ipod or zune
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:42 pm »

ANy recommendations please?

Buy a Sansa Fuze instead.

It's got rave reviews, and works with MC. Zune does not, and probably never will.

-marko.

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:18:52 pm »

Thanks, I am looking for higher HD capacity (greater than 100 gb).

So there is no way I can import playlist (MC) into zune?

that's really bad!!

drb

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:29 pm »

The Zune requires the Zune software (Windows only) to sync and only the Zune software is able to sync a Zune.  There are hacks to be able to use third party software to sync a Zune but those hacks rely on old Zune firmware and previous versions of the Zune software.  I don't believe there are hacks for the current Zune firmware and software.

You can download and install the Zune software if you want to get an idea for what the Zune experience would be like.  I tried it recently.  I found it to be the kind of software that would be good for a 14 year old but horrible for an adult or power user.

You could probably sync a Zune using techniques similar to how people use MC to sync with an iPod Touch or Phone.  Create a directory to serve as your faux Zune and have MC treat that directory as a portable device.  Have MC sync to that directory.  Then have the Zune software treat that directory as your entire music library and sync it.  But what a kludge and likely to have unforeseen problems especially syncing 100GB.

An iPod Classic is a better choice.  MC supports the iPod Classic.

I'd love to like the Zune.  It's wonderful hardware.  Does gapless playback.  Great sound quality.  It's all good except being locked down to only using the Zune software.

The iPod Classic is good hardware.  Does gapless playback.  Has reasonable sound quality (not as good as the Zune or previous iPod versions).  Third party tools available are able to sync but not supported by Apple.  Don't even think about third party support for the Touch or iPhone.

It's not a good situation to have two of the best portable players locked down to only using their own software.  And the future direction of Apple with the Touch and iPhone being completely locked down is not good.  I also see the Touch as the future of the full size iPod and the Classic style going away.

I use an iPod Classic 80GB.  I'm not overly proud of having bought into the Apple model of locked down hardware.  But what can I do?  I absolutely require gapless playback and that really really really limits my choices.

(A secret nightmare of mine is getting hired by Microsoft and having to smuggle my iPod into work or suffer through using a Zune)   :o

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:11:03 pm »

Buy a Sansa Fuze instead.

It's got rave reviews, and works with MC. Zune does not, and probably never will.

I'll say this.  I loved, loved, loved my Sansa e170, but it never was as stable as my my wife's iPod Nano.  I read similar reports about the Sansa Clip on the forums, though I've heard relatively little about the Fuze (real-world/post-reviews, I have read the same fairly glowing reviews that Marko mentioned).  The Sansa had several firmware versions (before I lost it on an airplane, stupid seat-back pockets) but never was quite just right.

I do like that they are far simpler to deal with adding and removing files.  The zune is terrible.  I hate that one aspect of my iPod (and my iPhone) but everything else is just about right.

If you aren't afraid of firmware revisions and a little potential stability issues every so often, you might want to check out what Archos has to offer.  I've used one of the 6-series Archos' before.  It was nice.  The UI was a lot more klunky than an iPod, and the touchscreen is nothing like an iPhone, but it gets the job done.  I did have some compatibility issues with a few oddball video files, but it worked pretty well for the most part.  Certainly has vastly superior format support than anything from either Apple or Microsoft, and should support MC just fine (I didn't get to try that part of it, unfortunately).  They do also make some smaller, more music focused players.

Keep in mind, the Archos 5G is coming fairly soon, and rumor has it that they may be working on a version that would run Android.  That would be quite interesting.

There are also a wide variety of interesting looking products available from Cowon: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/

Generally, I have to agree with what Frobozz says though... You probably can't go too wrong with an iPod Classic, in this case.  They are supported by MC, and they will work great with no fear of usability or stability issues.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:10 am »

go with an iPod. it is the industry standard for good reason.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:59:00 am »

go with an iPod. it is the industry standard for good reason.

Yeah, that reason is because everybody buys into the hype. The reality isn't as great. Espcially if you're talking about an iPhone or iTouch. Yes, the iPod is good, but it's not like Apple invented the portable MP3 player, no matter what they would like everybody to think.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:32:56 pm »

Yeah, that reason is because everybody buys into the hype. The reality isn't as great. Espcially if you're talking about an iPhone or iTouch. Yes, the iPod is good, but it's not like Apple invented the portable MP3 player, no matter what they would like everybody to think.

True, but being the market leader also imparts its own kind of momentum.  For just one example, most of the good accessories are designed for iPods.  Want a way to hook the iPod up to your car and power it with only one cord (and no mess of one cord for power and one for audio), what are the best options?  If you want to build an application or accessory in this "space" and you can choose between building it for the iPod or for Zune/Sansa/etc, which device do you think gets more focus?  What about hardware and software support?  The public pressure on Apple to continue to support their old hardware (with firmware fixes and software compatibility) is far greater than what Microsoft or Sandisk face, simply because of their total units shipped.

That doesn't mean this should be the only deciding factor, but it should certainly be one of the deciding factors.  Everyone has to weigh the options and the importance of different factors themselves.  Perhaps software and hardware design "cleanliness" don't mean very much to you, but in a portable device it is quite important to me.  In a portable device like this, reliability and careful and well-thought-out design are my most important factors, far exceeding compatibility and expandability.  You may not be the same, if you really want other options (or simply don't like Apple's UI design choices).

That's why competition is good!  But not all people who prefer Apple hardware are status obsessed drones.  That's just as offensive as the reverse (assuming anything Sandisk or Microsoft puts out will be junk).  Sometimes people have different priorities for good reasons.  People can disagree without either opinion being "wrong".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:51:43 pm »

Oh, you don't have to tell me. I bought an iTouch for all of the reasons you mention. The disappointment began afterwards when I found out I was tethered to iTunes.

If all I wanted was a music player, then a standard iPod would be great because then I could pick a model that's compatible with MC. But I don't just want a music player. That's actually the least of what I do with my iTouch. So I bought the iTouch and now I'm stuck using iTunes.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:44:02 pm »

Somebody should buy a Zune.  They worked really hard on it.

Daydream

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »

To glynor: You just mentioned a product very dear to me. Can we start boosting the hype for Archos? :) The price tag for Archos 7 (320GB) left me wondering but... it freaking works and it's not made by Apple! ;)

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:08:18 pm »

Really I don't see a reason why one has to hate Zune and love ipod. How itunes is tied to ipod, zune is tied to zune.

I guess MC decided to support ipod because it got popular before zune came into the market. If MC wants they can support zune as well (i am not a pro, just my 2 c).

I don't know why MC is not inclining towards zune. (are they getting cuts from ipod :-)

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:57:18 pm »

Really I don't see a reason why one has to hate Zune and love ipod. How itunes is tied to ipod, zune is tied to zune.

I guess MC decided to support ipod because it got popular before zune came into the market. If MC wants they can support zune as well (i am not a pro, just my 2 c).

I don't know why MC is not inclining towards zune. (are they getting cuts from ipod :-)

Zune and iPhone/iPod Touch are restricted (encrypted) systems. It's not that JRiver doesnt want to support them, its that they can't.

MS/Apple are deliberately preventing them from doing so.

bhageman

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16:37 am »

I own a 40GB Zune and an 80GB Ipod Video.

The Zune crapped out right after the warranty expired and the repair price is more than the price of a used Zune or iPod on eBay. Plus, being forced to used the amateurish Zune software was a huge headache. The Zune now sits unrepaired in a drawer, probably headed for the recycle bin.

The iPod has worked flawlessly, but the ability to sync via Media Center is what really makes it far superior to the Zune.

Pages: [1]   Go Up