INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Play 24bit 96kHz Wav File  (Read 11891 times)

lhm3

• Recent member
How To Play 24bit 96kHz Wav File
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:31 pm »

I downloaded a Hi Res 24bit 96kHz WAV file and I cannot get JRiver to recognize the file so I can play it.  I placed the file in a folder and imported the folder into JRiver but I cannot find the file anywhere.  I have tried running the file using right click and choosing JRiver as the program, but that did not work.  I have a Benchmark USB Dac that is supposed to work with 24bit 96kHz files over USB.  I normally encode to FLAC so I have never worked with WAV files in JRiver.  Any help is appreciated.

Lindsay

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: How To Play 24bit 96kHz Wav File
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:04:20 pm »

Make sure you've got MJ configured to auto-import WAV files. 
Tools >> Options... >> Library & Folders
In Auto-Import Folders, Click on the downarrow button to the left of your music folder
Select "Settings for this folder..."
Make sure there is a checkmark next to "WAV" and any other format you want to auto-import (like FLAC)
Check the other options in auto-import to make sure they make sense

I've played 24/96 WAV and FLAC files successfully.
If you're using ASIO4ALL with your DAC you might have to change some settings in ASIO4ALL to get it to sync to the different sample rate.  I have never used ASIO4ALL so I'm not sure of any specifics.

lhm3

• Recent member
Re: How To Play 24bit 96kHz Wav File???
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:25:20 pm »

I have checked and rechecked and I have all the WAV boxes checked.  I tried importing the file into Windows Media Player and got an error message that a codec was missing, but the Windows site had no codec for the error code I received.  Today I converted the file to FLAC and successfully imported it into JRiver.  During the conversion it seemed that there was some unexpected content in the file (JUNK) and 1 general error, but it was converted and will play within JRiver at this point.  I am going to contact the company that produced the file and see what I can learn.

Lindsay

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »

They are probably storing the wav files with so called broadcast extensions.

Someone else had the same problem and one solution was indeed to convert the files to a lossless format:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47256.msg334694#msg334694  (and the rest of that thread.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lhm3

• Recent member
Playing 24 bit 96kHz Wav in JRiver Media 13 Solved
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »

I have been trying to play a 24 bit 96kHz WAV file unsuccessfully in JRiver.  The file simply could not be imported.  I found the solution here:   http://chrisnet.net/code.htm

The explanation:

"Legacy HD Audio Filter - Many audio processing applications still produce high-definition audio such as 24bit/96kHz in a legacy WAV format. By default DirectShow players (such as Media Player) won't be able to play these files as the Audio Renderer refuses to accept this legacy type even though it is perfectly capable of playing it. This filter registers itself as being able to handle this legacy format, and at the same time converts to a format the DirectShow Audio Renderer will accept (WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE). This is done without altering the audio data in any way. Save the .ax file somewhere convenient on your system and register it from the command line with "regsvr32 AudioTypeConvert.ax"."

When you type the regsvr32 command you need to be in the directory where you stored the file.

This appears to be a problem with many players including Windows Media Player.

Lindsay

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing 24 bit 96kHz Wav in JRiver Media 13 Solved
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »

Fine if the ActiveX control you've installed is from a trusted source.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »

We would like to see one of the uncompressed WAV files that won't play, because this sounds like a bug.

Is there any way you could send a sample to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up