INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Country tag  (Read 3566 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Country tag
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:33:43 am »

I've lost access to the COUNTRY field in this build?

I see it in my managed library fields.

I see the 'field (country).jmd' in my library.

And my Track Info visualisation even displays the field from existing tagged files.

BUT I can no longer display the COUNTRY field in the TAG window or on column headings and non of my smartlists access it any more??

Help!

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Country tag
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:37:18 am »

In the tag window, in the upper left corner, you can choose options and then add any field you want.

If you need more help, please start a new thread.  This thread should be used for bug reports.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Country tag
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:55:30 am »

In the tag window, in the upper left corner, you can choose options and then add any field you want.

If you need more help, please start a new thread.  This thread should be used for bug reports.

Already have SHOW ALL TAGS set.  This was previously working fine so I have to assume it *IS* a bug introduced in .152?

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Country tag
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:37:30 am »

I don't think Country is a default tag.  Did you add it?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:40:28 am »

Yes, I guess so, however, MC isn't showing it under 'Show only user fields' but only 'Show all fields'...

I've checked a 2nd PC and see the same issue... the COUNTRY field is no longer available under my .152 setup though the trackinfo continues to display it if the file is tagged with the field.

?

Mark

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:45:23 am »

I think Country was added as a default field. I used to have a custom Country field as a "list" field and now it doesn't show up under user fields, only under all fields as "String"

I just checked... I can't get country to show up in the Tag AW either. You can get it as a pane, but not in the Tag AW.

Could this be a problem with how MC handles existing custom fields when it adds new default fields?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:59:24 am »

Correct. It is a new default field. It is locked and restricted to video.

The developers forgot to create a system that would preserve old user data and for instance offer to rename an existing field or simply preserve the old field settings. Why the default fields need to be locked?

I didn't create a country field before the change, but I would have used it with photos in the first place.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:00:53 am »

...I would have used it with photos in the first place.

That's exactly where I used it... :(

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 09:05:55 am »

Correct. It is a new default field. It is locked and restricted to video.

Where is the sense in that?!  Country is applicable to all media, not just photos! 

Why the default fields need to be locked?

This is cropping up more lately in MC... 

So I'm now forced to change my entire workflow and create a new user field (which might at some point become a default field itself), edit visualisations, smartlists, views etc in order to preserve my hard work of compiling country data for audio artists.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:23:43 am »

I think the developers can easily either remove the "lock" or enable the country field for all media types. Just give them time to answer. 
(EDIT: someone may have used a Country field as a list field - maybe with predefined country names. In order to fix the problem it might not be enough to just allow to use it with all media types)

The field data is still present it just doesn't easily show up.

I have the same problem with my old TV series episodes that have track numbers. At some stage JRiver added the default media types and the track numbers disappeared from video views and AW > Tag. The field data is still present. I can see it in playlists that have the "Track #" column visible. In addition, the video files do not have a new field with similar functionality as the "Track #" field. (auto numbering from a menu command, complete album detection, etc)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 01:55:32 pm »

One way to avoid these kind of clashes is to prefix/suffix your custom fields with _ (say).

Now if all that was required was to modify their names in the manager dialog and have that change filter down to view schemes, smartlists, columns, expressions etc

..life would be peachy  :D

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 02:47:54 am »

One way to avoid these kind of clashes is to prefix/suffix your custom fields with _ (say).

That's fine but what happens when JRiver decide to lock an industry standard field, for instance, Artist?  These fields should not be locked as it removes significant functionality from the software.  Or they could be locked by default but have an override for more experienced users.

Now if all that was required was to modify their names in the manager dialog and have that change filter down to view schemes, smartlists, columns, expressions etc

And that's the other issue.  These changes are forcing us to make swingeing changes to our workflows and not only is it extremely frustrating, it's unnecessary.

I just don't see the sense in locking down fields like this, particularly not after the fact when users have been filling them in for years.

Mark

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 07:13:23 am »

Or they could be locked by default but have an override for more experienced users.

I think that would be the ideal option. Maybe have a disclaimer that warns the user about any risks involved in changing a default field but still allows the functionality if they so wish it?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 10:19:29 am »

An interesting wrinkle here...

I found one of my column presets contains the Country field... it is displayed and I can edit the data...  But as already noted I cannot create new column views containing Country under audio...  I'll be holding onto that view and using it to generate the other views I need to keep working with Country!

Mark

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 12:02:13 pm »

The following changes will appear in an upcoming build:

Changed: Country, Producer fields are available for all media types.
Changed: Country, Producer, and Screenwriter fields are changed to list type.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:41 pm »

The following changes will appear in an upcoming build:

Changed: Country, Producer fields are available for all media types.

Great news, thanks Yaobing.

BonkLord

• Recent member
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »

all my hard work to create a custom country field and add it to a track info template in vain...!!  ;D

haha... great news though...  :)
Follow Me On : Twitter | YouTube

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:25 am »

all my hard work to create a custom country field and add it to a track info template in vain...!!  ;D

Why wouldn't that work after the changes?

I display Keywords with my trackinfo template and they are defined as lists...

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 02:46:26 am »

Will existing data COUNTRY survive this switch?  ie will existing data become the components of the new list?

Cheers,

Mark

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 03:05:54 am »

Will existing data COUNTRY survive this switch?  ie will existing data become the components of the new list?

Cheers,

Mark

Yes, my values were preserved just fine.

BonkLord

• Recent member
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:10:07 am »

Why wouldn't that work after the changes?

No i didn't mean it wouldn't work...Just that i spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get custom library fields to show up in a track info template...  ;D

Would have been much easier if this was done before, but im not complaining... Was a good thing to learn...  :)
Follow Me On : Twitter | YouTube
Pages: [1]   Go Up