INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Art on PlayStation 3  (Read 2920 times)

jdewoody

• Recent member
Album Art on PlayStation 3
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:22:45 pm »

Hello! When I stream MP3s from MC13 to my PS3, I don't get any album art. I did when I tried out other UPnP server software (such as TVersity) but I can't seem to get it to happen with this software. I was wondering if anyone else is having this small issue that I am and whether or not anyone found a fix or setting change that could make this happen. I figured I might just be missing something. Thanks in advance for giving this a read. 8)

Peace,
J

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Album Art on PlayStation 3
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:32:32 am »

I use the PS3 as a UPnP Server and have the same result. While I can get the music from MC, and easily navigate through my library, it does not show the cover art. I also tested other software that does show the cover art, but MC does not appear to support this capability.

jdewoody

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:33:51 pm »

Is there the possibility of this being added? I really don't want to buy Twonky just for this feature :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:56:17 am »

If the art is embedded in the file, then it would be up to the PS3 to display it.  Perhaps the format or the size matters.

If the art is not embedded in the file, then our UPnP server may be ignoring a request to serve it.

We'll take a look.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:36:09 am »

If the art is embedded in the file, then it would be up to the PS3 to display it.  Perhaps the format or the size matters.

If the art is not embedded in the file, then our UPnP server may be ignoring a request to serve it.

We'll take a look.

My cover art is embedded in the file and does now show up on the PS3. Also, the images are not huge (500x500).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:37:56 am »

It's odd that, if the files have art embedded, that the PS3 doesn't display it.  I wonder if updated firmware might.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:45:42 am »

My firmware on the PS3 is current.

I've tried "PS3 Media Server" and it does display the cover art, so I know the cover art can be streamed to the PS3.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:35 am »

My UPnP server options are as follows:
Allow Visual Content
DLNA
Everything else off

Suggestion: the PS3 configuration should be added to the Receiver List

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:15:50 am »

My UPnP server options are as follows:
Allow Visual Content
DLNA
Everything else off

Suggestion: the PS3 configuration should be added to the Receiver List

I've never been able to make the PS3 aware of MC using those settings (or any other assortment of settings) - it just can't find it as a media server. Other uPNP software works fine though.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:17 am »

I've never been able to make the PS3 aware of MC using those settings (or any other assortment of settings) - it just can't find it as a media server. Other uPNP software works fine though.

Strange. This same setup also works for both of my sons. Do you have Media Server Connection enabled on the PS3? This is an option under network settings.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:55 am »

Yep, I've gone through every setting imaginable - I've tried reconfiguring my router and firewalls but in the end I gave up. Like I say, other uPNP software just works in the true spirit of plug and play.

jdewoody

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:03:44 pm »

All of my album art is embedded in the tag, I don't do the art for folders and such. Just an fyi. Thanks so much for at least looking into it :)

If you want me to be a guinea pig for any testing on it, please PM or email me, I'll gladly do it!

J

muchadhesion

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 10:45:41 am »

I'd love the UPnP media server to serve up Album art too.

(The remainder of this posting should probably live in the Development forum; but I'll press on anyway..)

I had a quick look at the output of the MC UPnP server...

The DIDLite is missing the <upnp:albumArtUri> tags for both tracks (object.item.audioItem.musicTracks objects) and their containing albums (object.container.album.musicAlbum).

Also, album "containers" should really be of type <upnp:class=object.container.album.musicAlbum> rather than object.container.

Fixing this would probably make the Album Art appear on the PS3 and some other devices that I use.

I believe the spirit of UPnP AV architecture is for the Media Server to dish up the Album art as a URI, irrespective of where it is stored, (eg Folder.jpg, database, or embedded>.    This allows the UPnP control points to be "dumb" wrt codecs - ie, it means the control point does not need to understand and decode the multitude of media file types, just to extract the album images.

(My reference/test system includes the "PlugPlayer" UPnP control point running on a iTouch, which allows me to push items from MC UPnP server onto a Linn DS player/Roku Soundbridge).

Any improvements to the UPnP server in this area would be most welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 11:20:42 am »

I had a quick look at the output of the MC UPnP server...

The DIDLite is missing the <upnp:albumArtUri> tags for both tracks (object.item.audioItem.musicTracks objects) and their containing albums (object.container.album.musicAlbum).

Also, album "containers" should really be of type <upnp:class=object.container.album.musicAlbum> rather than object.container.

Fixing this would probably make the Album Art appear on the PS3 and some other devices that I use.

Thanks for the details.  We're looking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up