INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I still D/Load Media Jukebox Plus 8.0.400 to repair my damaged program?  (Read 3258 times)

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...

Last week another program I was using had a problem (Wave Purity) & siezed up for some time & somehow or other this event had an impact on my MJ which was just sitting parked down on the tool bar (open but not on screen). Ever since then I have had various minor problems & crashes with MJ. I don't seem to have or be able to find my original MJ 8.0.400 file download anywhere & there are no repair facilities within MJ8.0.400.

Is there any access to the older versions of MJ & in particular Media Jukebox Plus 8.0.400, as I would like to reload the file in the hope that it will repair/resolve my current problems?

Also if I install the latest MJ12 Free version will it overide my current version & if so could I just install MJ12 on another drive & keep both?

Any assistance would be greatfully accepted,

Many Thanks - Rusty in OZ

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

Hi Rusty! You should visit more often (your forum account was created shortly after mine in 2002).  :)

The final MJ8 build is still available: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/Mediajukebox80400.exe

Also if I install the latest MJ12 Free version will it overide my current version & if so could I just install MJ12 on another drive & keep both?

I don't think both versions can work correctly if installed on the same OS. MJ8 is so old that it doesn't have the changes that allow more than one version be installed. (Starting from the final MC11.1 build one or more newer versions can be installed on the same OS.)

If you just want to try MJ12 perhaps you could do that on another PC.

In general, MJ12 is not a direct upgrade for MJ8.

The actual upgrade path/history is: MJ8 > MC9 > MC9.1 > MC10 > MC11 > MC11.1 > MC12 > MC13.

MJ12 is an audio only version of MC12. In addition, its audio features are somewhat limited when compared with MC12. Even though MJ8 is old it has some special features that are missing from MJ12.

If you would like to upgrade I can recommend MC13. A registered MJ8 is still qualified for the reduced upgrade price.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

An old version can be found here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...

Many thanks gentlemen for your time & your information (& yes it has been a long time since my last Interact - I've got no idea about MC12 etc, but it looks like I'll just have to get educated) . However I shall start by re-installing MJ 8. All of my playlists were badly damaged = an awful lot of work down the drain & this is the 2nd time over a 2 year period that this has happened) & I don't have much left to lose now. I will now have to put something in place to keep an alternate record of my future playlists as I can no longer trust the MJ8 program to keep them safe ... Not being a computer wiz & all, I will most probably copy & paste the lists to Excel, at least that way I will have a permanent external program copy that I can re-build from if necessary.

I had some idea that there were still benefits to be had from the old MJ8 over the newer MJ12 (old dog & new tricks etc). I may check MJ12 out on a mates machine & maybe when I finally spring for a laptop, I'll try it or perhaps even better, I'll invest in MC12 on there.

All the best & thanks again,

Rusty in OZ

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

To make things a bit easier if a similar problem occurs in the future you can periodically back up the MJ8 library (= database files) and store the backup file in a safe place. The backup feature is in Library Manager (File > Library Manager > Backup).

A backup file contains all information you have in the MJ8 library, including the playlists. You can easily restore the library from a backup file if needed (File > Library Manager > Restore).

Naturally this does not protect the actual media files. You should back them up separately.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up