INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod skipping some songs  (Read 4616 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
ipod skipping some songs
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:26:48 am »

I have just started experiencing a problem with my ipod photo and an old ipod Mini skipping some songs (always the same ones).  I am using version 12.0.534.  The play fine in Media Center. The songs in question were VBR MP3.  As far as I know they used to play in the iPod but I can't actually remember.  I searched through the forum and found related posts but they were all some years ago and the solution was always to install a newer version of Media Center, but I am running a later version right now.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ipod skipping some songs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:50:04 pm »

Maybe the iPod is unhappy about some tagging change that was made?

If you empty the iPod and put just one song that won't play on, does it still not work?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

An iPod will skip over songs that it can't play.  For example, if you try a 24 bit / 48 kHz WAV file or AIFF file the iPod will display the file but skip over it when you try to play it (an iPod can play a 24/48 ALAC file).  I would suspect that a corrupted file would also have the same behavior.

Delete the problem files from the iPod and upload fresh versions.  And make sure they're files they iPod can play (bit depth, sample rate, format).

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:43:29 am »

In my morning browsing with my morning coffee I came across a blog post that addresses this problem.

Fix for MP3 songs not playing in iTunes (or on an iPod)

The problem comes from MP3 files that have "out of spec" MPEG headers.  If the iPod gets confused by an out of spec header it skips the file.  The fix is to run MP3 Validator on your files to find problem MP3 files and have the program correct them.

I had MP3 Validator scan all of my files and it managed to find a problem is almost every one of them.  They are all encoded with LAME.  I don't know home much if it is crying Wolf!  I don't think I'd want to let it loose on my entire library to fix the problems it finds.  It would be "fixing" every single file and I'm not sure of what side-effects there may be (could fixing the frames affect gapless playback of LAME encoded MP3?).
Pages: [1]   Go Up