INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best media player for mac?  (Read 2515 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
Best media player for mac?
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:16:33 am »

Hello, I'm going to start digitizing my friend's vinyl collection. Things were looking pretty good until he told me has a mac... if there was a mac version of MJ I would of course use that but now I'm looking at alternatives. I'm most likely going to be ripping in lossless (either flac or apple lossless, whichever is supported). Features I would need include:

some sort of lossless format support
robust tagging features, ideally custom tagging, like MJ (most of the collection is classical)
An option to browse by fields other than artist and album (like composer, ensemble, etc)
ipod support
gapless playback
replay gain support (although not totally neccesary)

I'd also like it to be somewhat user friendly, and maybe even look somewhat like itunes or MJ.

I've definitely ruled out itunes (unless someone can tell me how it accommodates these requests). Programs I'm looking at now are Songbird, Amarok, Atunes, and maybe Banshee. Does anyone have any experience with these programs (or others that would fit this description)? I'm going to be testing these players myself (the ones with Windows versions at least) but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. I'm pretty sure I posted in the right place, but I apologize if I didn't.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Best media player for mac?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:29:00 am »

Parallels + MC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:45:23 am »

I'd add Quod Libet to the list of players to look at.  It is a Linux player but I don't know whether it works in the Mac OSX environment.

I don't think you will find anything in the native Mac environment that lets you use tags as flexibly as MJ/MC does.

My music collection is 70% classical and another 10% are musicals and Broadway standards for which the composer matters.  If MJ/MC had not existed, I would have tried to use Foobar and achieved much less with great effort.  Beyond that, there wasn't anything.  So I found one alternative out of hundreds of players in the Windows environment. For me, the lack of a single good player for classical music ruled out buying a Mac.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:50:49 am »

Please use a mac forum for this.  ilounge.com, for example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up