INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Library Restore to another machine playlists are empty.  (Read 1740 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen

If I recall correctly whenever I did a Library>Restore (on another machine) MC13 would restore whatever playlists were in that library.  Isn't that how it's supposed to work??   Now, either something has changed or I'm just losing my noodles (it's been known to happen). 

I am currently doing a Library>Restore to other computers, then I delete all the audio files from the database, then I re-import all the files (which have been copied from the source machine).  That seems to give me the best results for moving my music files and library/playlists to other machines and it was working like a charm for the past few days.  However, now there's a little quirk that I don't recall from before... my playlists are coming over empty  :-\.

The only thing I recall changing is when I re-import all the files I did the following:

Tools>Options
I Checked everything under Audio and Playlists and everything else was unchecked.   I also unchecked "ignore files previously removed from library".

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my playlists are coming up empty??  I've never had this issue before with MC12 or MC13.

Thank you ? :)
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: After Library Restore to another machine playlists are empty.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:34:23 pm »

If you erase the files from the library, you will empty your playlists.

Try the Rename, Move, & Copy files tool to update filenames instead.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:02:32 pm »

I don't quite understand how the rename/copy/move feature works and where I find it...

When I move my music files to the other computer they are not exactly in the same path as the source computer.  I know that would be ideal for MC, but it's not for me.

Can you help me understand, how I would use this feature you suggest after I move my files to the destination machine and now I'm in MC13, I do a Library>Restore, but it doesn't recognize the music because it's not where it thinks it is.  What do I do next?

Thank you again - especially for the fast communication!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »

Can you help me understand, how I would use this feature you suggest after I move my files to the destination machine and now I'm in MC13, I do a Library>Restore, but it doesn't recognize the music because it's not where it thinks it is.  What do I do next?

Select all the files in Media Center.  Right-click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files...

Pick "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)"

Tick "Find & Replace" and fill it in to make the paths match.  A simple example would be replacing "C:\Music\" with "D:\Music\"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »

Okay, I like this idea, but it's not working the way I would hope...surely a user error  :P

I've tried this a few times both ticking and not ticking the find & replace option.  Both ways give me the same results -- I have 3537 audio files but each time I do this Update database proceedure it tells me it's updating a much lesser number (but the number varies).  It around 1200-1300 each time, but I can't get all the files updated... must be a minor detail I'm missing somewhere.  Also, before I even click on Tools, I have already highlighted all 3537 files under Audio.  Any ideas??

I did notice that when I have the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files"  window open, it doesn't seem like it is displaying 3537 files in the window to the right.  Perhaps this is the source of the problem.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:42:11 pm »

Okay -- now I got it!! FABULOSO!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

What I did wrong before was I had checked BOTH Directories and Find & Replace.  As soon as I unchecked Directories it worked like a charm.

I truly appreciate your amazingly fast response.  Now I will try to get to more familiar with this feature.

Have a great day!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:38 pm »

Did you also follow my advice to disable the "auto-import" feature that I gave in the other thread? Auto-Importer may have started to remove dead links before your changes are applied.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 03:02:33 pm »

Yes, I believe I did. Hopefully I did it correctly... 

I went to Tools>Options>Library & Folders> and unchecked "Run auto-import in background"

Then, I went to Tools>Options>General>  under Importing and Tagging I unchecked "Automatically Import When Files are Played".  I didn't see anywhere else to uncheck auto import.  Not sure if I should have done this or not.

I'm really getting into this now and starting to feel like a power user... but I know I still have a long ways to go.

Thank you for all the help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up