INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exploring use of Stacks for managing HDCD rips  (Read 1002 times)

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Exploring use of Stacks for managing HDCD rips
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:44:35 pm »

I know of the Stacks feature because I have the handheld conversion cache configured to use stacks for the conversion cache.  But I had never manually created a stack and didn't know why I would want to -- Until today.

I was experimenting with ripping an HDCD to 24-bit FLAC files (dBpoweramp can decode an HDCD when ripping it).  I created 24-bit FLAC files for the HDCD decoded rip and also standard 16-bit MP3 files of a regular rip without the HDCD decoding.  I was faced with a problem of figuring out how to manage those files in MC and get it configured so the MP3 version got synced to the iPod.  Ah, stacks.  I finally found a need to manually create a stack.

End result is that it all works marvelously.  The MP3 versions get synced to the iPod.  MC knows to use the special MP3 versions instead of trying to convert the 24-bit FLAC files.  Sweet!

It was a little bit of a run-around trying to figure out how to manually create a stack and get it stacked and configured correctly.  It took some hunting around and experimenting.  First stumbling block was trying to find the stacks feature.  I was in the "Recently Imported" playlist since I had just imported the files.  Right-clicking didn't show a Stacks menu.  Turns out you can't do stacks in a playlist view, you need to be in a details or thumbnail view.  Why is that?

Second stumbling block was getting the files in the album to stack correctly.  Just selecting "Stacks >> Advanced >> Autostack Files by Name" did the trick, but it took some exploring and experimenting to finally figure that out.

Stacks is a cool feature.  Probably could use some UI work to make it easier to understand and make use of.

Regarding HDCD.  I only own two HDCDs.  Both Van Halen CDs from the 2000 remastering.  Found them cheap used.  Generally I avoid buying HDCD discs.  The 24-bit HDCD decoded files (decoded using dBpoweramp) do sound better than the regular 16-bit CD playback.  There is more space in the sound, more soundstage, and more dynamics.  But at the cost that the 24-bit versions are lower in volume (specs for HDCD say the attenuation is -6 dB but it sounds like more than that).  The replay gain volume leveling isn't getting the volume leveling correct for the 24-bit FLAC files.  It is still too soft even with volume leveling enabled.

My opinions of HDCD hasn't changed.  They are a pain to deal with.  Quirky support.  The sound quality of the regular 16-bit playback is compromised.  The sound that you get from the HDCD decoded playback is the same sound that you can achieve with a properly mastered 16-bit redbook CD.  Why do it?  Why compromise the 16-bit playback just to achieve pseudo 20-bit playback with quirky support?  Just master a proper 16-bit CD and I'll be happy.  16-bits is plenty if used correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up