INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 152 CPU spikes and huge RAM usage?  (Read 1937 times)

clearplastic

• Recent member
Build 152 CPU spikes and huge RAM usage?
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:59 am »

...just tonight I've found that with MC playing in the background for a min or so, it's CPU usage climbs to 99% and RAM starts to climb... endlessly.

With the CPU usage at that point, it effectively freezes, so I need to manually stop the process.

This happens also when doing a 'safe' MC start.

Nothing has changed in my system tonight.   ??

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Build 152 CPU spikes and huge RAM usage?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:09:43 am »

Just a wild guess.  MS pushed out IE8 today in Windows Update.  Did you perhaps get upgraded to IE8?  When IE8 is first installed it is in a sort of indeterminate state waiting for you to launch it and finish the setup and configuration.  If that's the case then launch IE8 and finish the setup and configuration.  See if MC behaves after that.

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:00:07 pm »

Nope... Auto Updates Off.  I use Firefox.

I recall last week, I was analyzing my whole library (BIG) and MC crashed while I was out... I wonder if MC is trying to continue in the background?

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 06:11:48 pm »

Even if you don't use IE for web surfing, MC uses IE for its html and web page displays.  I'm not sure if the web control that MC uses is affected by an IE8 upgrade or not?  In any event, I have IE8 installed and MC continues to work fine.

MC does have logging.  I know very little about the logging, what is logged, or how to analyze a log file.  You can enable logging in "Help >> Logging...".  Hopefully someone will jump in who knows about the logging what to look for in a log file to figure out what is going on.

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 10:38:50 am »

Update:  with the newest 161 update, things seem to be better.    I'll play with it a bit.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 10:42:39 am »

Update:  with the newest 161 update, things seem to be better.    I'll play with it a bit.
You may have something else on the machine that is in conflict.  Here's a thread where you might find something similar:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:29 am »

I wonder if it had anything to do with "analyze audio"?    I was doing this last month, and it crashed at some point. 

(possibly due to that 'many binary zeros' bug - I have some wacky minimal music here)

I've shut that checkbox off to see what happens.

Incidentally,   I'm playing an mp3 album here to test, and the little red FVV icon shows up in the system tray.   (fshow, is it?)
It disappears as soon as I hover my mouse over it, as if it's already closed but just hanging there.
Is this needed for mp3 playback?  Could it be related to my problems?

D

clearplastic

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:41:51 am »

As an update...  I THINK it's fixed now...

It may have been a background process, or maybe to do with the last build... but at any rate, I think it's working fine.

D
Pages: [1]   Go Up