INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v6.0.2]  (Read 462052 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v5.0.1]
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2009, 03:52:40 pm »

One caveat to this which has nothing to do with MCiS is that the change in the Replay Gain field has to be registered in the MC database in order for this to work

Out of curiosity... why do you use MP3Gain when MC and iTunes both do their own replay gain analysis?
Sue

softshellcrab

• Recent member
« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2009, 03:55:02 pm »

Sue, I misunderstood you. I didn't realize there was a manual option on the summary tab and thought you were talking about the option to keep ipods and iphones from syncing automatically (which I have checked).

I don't have the manual option checked on my summary tab, and everything is syncing fine with no re-importing of tracks into the Touch if they haven't changed. My smart playlists -- now all on the iTunes side -- are working perfectly. Syncing with MCiS is very fast. I have the 64gb Touch too.  I'm really enjoying it -- not just as a music player but as a PDA. It is my first ipod and I'm impressed, though I wouldn't have bought it if not for the PDA functionality which is terrific.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »

I think I  have my syncing sorted out now. Thanks to you and prod for the feedback or I might not have figured it out as quickly.

It is my first ipod and I'm impressed, though I wouldn't have bought it if not for the PDA functionality which is terrific.

Ditto for me. I got mine to replace an old Dell Axim that was starting to freeze a lot and always gave me trouble syncing. The only thing the Touch doesn't do that my Ax did is GPS, so I keep the Axim just for that. I really like it. It's nice not having to use a stylus. I jailbroke mine a few weeks ago and now it's even better. <g>
Sue

softshellcrab

• Recent member
« Reply #453 on: December 07, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »

The only thing the Touch doesn't do that my Ax did is GPS, so I keep the Axim just for that. I really like it. It's nice not having to use a stylus. I jailbroke mine a few weeks ago and now it's even better. <g>

What did you use the GPS for? I wish the Touch had it, but the Maps app will tell you where you are (roughly) as long as you are in wi-fi range.

I've heard about jailbreaking, but what does it add to the Touch that it doesn't have now?  I thought I also read that jailbreaking doesn't work for the 3G devices. I guess someone fixed that pretty fast, lol!

Out of curiosity... why do you use MP3Gain when MC and iTunes both do their own replay gain analysis?

I've used MP3Gain for maybe 5-6 years already. I just think it's best to put this info in the tags so that no matter what player you use the volume will be level. Up until getting this Touch, which is the first ipod I've ever owned, I've used a variety of Creative MP3 players.  I still have a Creative Zen X-Fi which I plan to keep.  I also heard that turning off hardware sound check/leveling was better for battery life in devices including the Touch.

The process is also lossless, and theoretically you can revert the tracks back to their original volume level, though in all these years I've never once had the desire to do this.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #454 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:06 pm »

What did you use the GPS for? I wish the Touch had it, but the Maps app will tell you where you are (roughly) as long as you are in wi-fi range.

For turn-by-turn directions when I'm driving in unfamiliar territory. It works just like a standalone GPS, except you have a separate GPS receiver that communicates your position to the Axim via bluetooth. Since I'm not in wi-fi range while driving, the Touch can't do this. And Apple blocks it from pairing with bluetooth GPS receivers. Which brings us to...

I've heard about jailbreaking, but what does it add to the Touch that it doesn't have now?  I thought I also read that jailbreaking doesn't work for the 3G devices. I guess someone fixed that pretty fast, lol!

I have not had time to try it yet, but there is a app for jailbroken iPods to allow them to work with bluetooth GPS receivers. Plan to check it out one of these days. But jailbreaking also lets you run apps in the background, and gives you more options to customize the iPod. Like you can change the background on the springboard, change your lockscreen, add info to the status bar, change settings easier, and put apps in folders. Running apps in the background comes in handy sometimes, especially for stuff like Slacker or Pandora where you might want to listen while playing a game or reading an eBook. For myself, I like that I can do live scrobbling to last.FM for the music I play on the iPod and I don't have to deal with the Last.FM client on my computer.

The Touch 3G 64GB can be jailbroken (search for blackra1n if you're interested) but if you ever have to do a hard reboot, you have to do it tethered and re-run the blackra1n.exe in order for it to boot. I'm sure eventually someone will come up with a way to do it without tethering, but for now that is the only down-side I have found.

I've used MP3Gain for maybe 5-6 years already. I just think it's best to put this info in the tags so that no matter what player you use the volume will be level. I also heard that turning off hardware sound check/leveling was better for battery life in devices including the Touch.

The process is also lossless, and theoretically you can revert the tracks back to their original volume level, though in all these years I've never once had the desire to do this.

I think MC and iTunes way is lossless, too. I was just curious. I use to run MP3Gain for the music on my Axim, but now I only listen to music on Squeezeboxes or my iPod. Since the Squeezeboxes can understand the MC replay gain data, I was glad to get rid of the extra step of running MP3Gain on the portable music and just let iTunes do its soundcheck thing for the Touch.

Sorry for sidetracking your thread, Prod!
Sue

softshellcrab

• Recent member
« Reply #455 on: December 07, 2009, 04:54:21 pm »

Sue nevermind. I googled jailbreaking to see what it could add to the Touch and it's considerable. I had dismissed it before because I read it didn't work with 3G.  Even if it's just to get stuff like Categories for apps on my screen, it will be worth it. I used to use Palm devices and they had categories so I'm used to that.

One other deficiency I've found with Touch is how it handles notes and To Dos. Currently I sync tasks via toodledo.com. But I've not yet found a solution to Apples' not allowing categories for Notes. Arranging notes by date is totally useless.  Can jailbreaking fix that? Is there any solution out there that works so I can add categories to Notes on the Touch?

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #456 on: December 07, 2009, 05:18:40 pm »

@softshellcrab Replied via PM so as to not further side-track this thread...
Sue

softshellcrab

• Recent member
« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »

I think MC and iTunes way is lossless, too. I was just curious. I use to run MP3Gain for the music on my Axim, but now I only listen to music on Squeezeboxes or my iPod. Since the Squeezeboxes can understand the MC replay gain data, I was glad to get rid of the extra step of running MP3Gain on the portable music and just let iTunes do its soundcheck thing for the Touch.

I could be totally wrong, but I was under the impression that MC never changes the value in the Replay Gain field -- unless the value changes in the tag from an external app like MP3Gain and then MC simply updates its database.  I thought MC's volume leveling is totally software based.  If that's the case then any new tracks of yours not run through MP3Gain will not have Replay Gain info in it.

BTW, I replied to your PM.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2009, 06:57:43 pm »

I could be totally wrong, but I was under the impression that MC never changes the value in the Replay Gain field -- unless the value changes in the tag from an external app like MP3Gain and then MC simply updates its database.  I thought MC's volume leveling is totally software based.  If that's the case then any new tracks of yours not run through MP3Gain will not have Replay Gain info in it.
I could be wrong, too, but I thought MC did its own analysis and wrote the info to the tags, similarly to how MP3Gain does it. When I used to run MP3Gain, I only ran it on the tracks after I copied them to the CF card for my portable, so none of the music on my server has MP3Gain tags, and my volume is even when I listen on the PC and on my Squeezeboxes. The Replay Gain field is filled in, in MC.

It must be saved in the tags, also, or Squeezebox Server would not be able to read it.  Although, maybe it depends on the MC settings you have for that library field--I suppose I may have changed it from the default if it was not to save a tag.

It makes me wonder if you are really using MP3Gain's tags or if it's using MC's tags and that's why you weren't hearing it on the iPod.
Sue

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2009, 04:23:25 am »

OK, I did what you suggested but simplified it. I simply right clicked on "Sort Name" and entered in "[Replay Gain]" and checked "Sort Name" for syncing. Nothing else was needed and it works great. I did not need to create an "iTunesSortName" field in MC nor add the extra text string.

No worries, though if you ever look for a track by song title on your Touch (or in iTunes), the sorting will be a little messed up...

prod

• Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v5.1]
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2009, 10:03:10 am »

v5.1;

• Added a Tweak menu to the Settings dialog - allows editing of the values normally only accessed directly in the .settings file

carouac

• Recent member
« Reply #461 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:12 am »

I can't seem to get this to work.  I'm using MC13 and keep getting a "Failed to Initialize Properly" error message.  Unless I'm mistaken and you're just supposed to put it in the J River folder and run it through MC and not try to run the MCiTunesSynchronizer separately.

Help would be appreciated.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #462 on: December 09, 2009, 02:37:39 am »

Make sure you unzip the contents of the zip file into its own folder, and you have read/write/create privileges in that folder. If you use XP, you may need to install .NET. You should have a normal install of MC (i.e. not portable) and iTunes. Just run MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe, if there's still a problem let me know what the messages are and I'll try to sort it out.

softshellcrab

• Recent member
« Reply #463 on: December 09, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »

I could be wrong, too, but I thought MC did its own analysis and wrote the info to the tags, similarly to how MP3Gain does it. When I used to run MP3Gain, I only ran it on the tracks after I copied them to the CF card for my portable, so none of the music on my server has MP3Gain tags, and my volume is even when I listen on the PC and on my Squeezeboxes. The Replay Gain field is filled in, in MC.

It must be saved in the tags, also, or Squeezebox Server would not be able to read it.  Although, maybe it depends on the MC settings you have for that library field--I suppose I may have changed it from the default if it was not to save a tag.

It makes me wonder if you are really using MP3Gain's tags or if it's using MC's tags and that's why you weren't hearing it on the iPod.

Sue, I'm glad you brought this up as I had a few misconceptions about how MC's replay gain worked vs. MP3Gain and I think I've sorted it out now after a little research and reading.

From what I understand, both MP3Gain and MC do replay gain adjustment but in different ways. MP3Gain does it by altering the data stream in an MP3, in a lossless and reversible way, whereas MC does it by simply writing a value to a  tag. (The tag writing MP3Gain does is just for undo purposes.)  But writing a value to a tag -- in this case "Replay Gain" in ID3v2.3 -- means that file is now dependent on a player's ability to read and act on that value. Some do and some don't. For example, Windows Media Player and of course MC do, but iTunes does not. Nor do iPods.

In my case, I was running files through MP3Gain with an 89 db target, and then through MC's audio analyzer which sets the volume level at 83 db automatically (value can't be changed).  The audio analyzer read my MP3GainAdjusted files and then made an adjustment on top of that to bring the level down to 83db.  So the file was set at 89 db in the data stream, but the tag for Replay Gain brought it down to 83 db. This meant sometimes I was getting playback at 89 db (like on my Touch or Creative Zen player which don't recognize the replay gain tag) and sometimes I was getting 83 db (ie, MC and Windows Media Player because they read and interpret that tag).

I still prefer the MP3Gain method, since it means my MP3s will be played at the desired volume levels no matter what device I play the files back on. Also, many ipod users claim SoundCheck adds distortion on playback, though most of the complaints I saw were regarding older ipods.  So I don't ever plan on using that.

The thing I plan to do now is stop running my MP3Gained files through MC's audio analyzer. And for all my music files,  I've already deleted the fields that MC adds to a file when run through audio analyzer. 

I thought I needed to run MC's audio analyzer to get MP3Gain values read into the database, but now that I know this is not the case, I don't need to use audio analyzer anymore.  Saves me a step in my workflow.  :)

softshellcrab

• Recent member
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2009, 12:52:13 pm »

No worries, though if you ever look for a track by song title on your Touch (or in iTunes), the sorting will be a little messed up...

Paul, you're right. The sorting of titles by name was screwed up on my Touch.  So what I did was map the trigger value to the iTunes "Description" field instead.  It's a field I don't currently use, don't plan to use, and as far as I could tell, nothing gets sorted by it. So far so good.

Moreover, after doing a little research, I found out the "Replay Gain" field was not the correct value to use for my purposes (see reply to Sue) as MP3Gain doesn't write to that field. However, it does modify the file date, so now I've simply specified "[Date Modified]" to go in the iTunes Description field, and it all works perfectly. This has the added benefit of being able to tell quickly if the file on my Touch is exactly the same as the latest one in MC. If the date modified values don't match between iTunes and MC, then I know they're not.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #465 on: December 12, 2009, 03:28:13 pm »

Prod, 

Minor packaging suggestion,

In your next update zip file, I think it would be a good idea to include a text file of the latest version of the instructions you put at the top of this post.
John

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #466 on: December 13, 2009, 06:41:01 am »

Tried this today and its runs smoothely until "Importing Files into iTunes". It just hangs there and pressing "Stop" doesn't do anything. Seems like iTunes crashed, so if I close iTunes via Taskmanager the Synchronizer stops and declares the sync unsuccessful.

In the log I find these for every file:

<ImportToiTunes Filename="M:\Music\Single Artists\Rush\Moving Pictures\Rush - Moving Pictures - 01 - Limelight.mp3">Der Remoteprozeduraufruf ist fehlgeschlagen. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x800706BE)</ImportToiTunes>
  <ImportToiTunes Filename="M:\Music\Single Artists\Rush\Moving Pictures\Rush - Moving Pictures - 02 - Red Barchetta.mp3">Der Remoteprozeduraufruf ist fehlgeschlagen. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x800706BE)</ImportToiTunes>
  <ImportToiTunes Filename="M:\Music\Single Artists\Rush\Moving Pictures\Rush - Moving Pictures - 03 - The Camera Eye.mp3">Der Remoteprozeduraufruf ist fehlgeschlagen. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x800706BE)</ImportToiTunes>

Although those files are not even in the playlists and shouldn't be synced anyway...

Any idea?

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #467 on: December 13, 2009, 09:32:35 am »

This is the same problem I have been having. It works fine for me last time but after I format my computer and reinstall, it seems to be having this problem. I am not sure if it is a setting problem or a path/filename problem.
Don't Panic!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #468 on: December 13, 2009, 11:39:39 am »

Run the sync in test mode and look in the log to see how many and which files are being imported.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #469 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:45 am »

Hi Prod,

I've seen the log before and it seems to import my whole library into iTunes and it just keep failing because those songs are not in the iTunes directory.

I've no idea why it keeps trying to import the whole library when I am just syncing 2 playlists.

Cheers,
Derrick
Don't Panic!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #470 on: December 14, 2009, 11:04:14 am »

I think you misunderstand the playlists feature - it doesn't limit the sync to the playlists you select. Use the /Playlist or /ViewScheme command line argument to limit the scope of the sync.

prod

• Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v5.2]
« Reply #471 on: December 18, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »

v5.2;

• Added It's now possible to manage "Ticked" tracks in iTunes. If a playlist is set to "Untick" then the tracks in it will be unticked in iTunes. Any tracks not in an "Untick" playlist will be ticked. A track that is in both a playlist marked and a playlist not marked "Untick" will be unticked in iTunes. The "Calculated Rating" string in the iTunes Category for zero rated tracks has been removed from this build.

UppIt isn't working properly as I write this so hence no link.

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #472 on: December 19, 2009, 05:18:58 am »

Still doesn't work. MCiS tries to sync my full library, even with the /playlist command used to avoid it.
But before I go on testing maybe you can confirm something:
I understand that MCiS will import new files to the iTunes library. But will it also delete files in the iTunes library that have been taken out of the MC paylist?

If it doesn't do that I can just quit altogether because that's crucial for me...

Thanks for your help.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #473 on: December 19, 2009, 05:34:30 am »

But before I go on testing maybe you can confirm something:
I understand that MCiS will import new files to the iTunes library. But will it also delete files in the iTunes library that have been taken out of the MC paylist?

No, it won't.

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #474 on: December 19, 2009, 06:58:06 am »

another option to "really" sync my iPhone gone...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #475 on: December 19, 2009, 09:44:12 am »

another option to "really" sync my iPhone gone...

If you don't mind my asking, what issue does this create for you?

I have 20k+ music tracks in MC and use iTunes to sync multiple iPhones. Each of the iPhones I sync have different content.

I use MCiS to sync my MC and iTunes libraries. It works perfectly for me.

Randy

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #476 on: December 20, 2009, 07:11:19 am »

You're right, maybe not crucial. But I often take albums with me on the iPhone that will probably only be there for days or a couple of weeks and I do not want them to clog up iTunes and also would like to avoid storying them twice...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #477 on: December 20, 2009, 09:22:30 am »

You're right, maybe not crucial. But I often take albums with me on the iPhone that will probably only be there for days or a couple of weeks and I do not want them to clog up iTunes and also would like to avoid storying them twice...

I think you should be OK. Let me explain in more detail what I do.

1) I have all of my media stored on my PC. It is managed by MC 14.
2) I use MCiS to synchronize MC and iTunes. I have my entire library synchronized. NOTE: The media is only stored once on the PC, there are just 2 libraries (one for MC and one for iTunes). The library is just a pointer to the one copy of media on the PC.
3) I use iTunes to sync my iPhones and iPods. I use playlists to drive the syncs. The playlists can be maintained in MC and synchronized to iTunes using MCiS or they can be maintained directly in iTunes.

I suggest you give it a try. This is really a solid option for MC users that have iPhones.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2009, 05:19:00 am »

I thought about putting this option in once or twice but decided against it, as removing tracks from iTunes can sometimes send the track to the recycle bin (when they are in the iTunes folder I think)... I just wouldn't trust iTunes that much with such an option.

Anyway, it's easy to get around if you just give it some thought. Create a playlist named x in MC that contains every track you want in iTunes, and sync it across to iTunes. Create a smartlist in iTunes that is "not in playlist x". Periodically go into that iTunes smartlist, select all tracks and delete. Easy.

helpme

« Reply #479 on: December 26, 2009, 09:15:09 am »

Any estimate on how long it should take to run ?

I'm trying to sync 782 files from an MC database of over 45K files.

Running yesterday for over 20 hours before someone turned off the machine.

iTunes showing activity but no UI response.  xml log file showing so update after the first 15 minutes.

Using the details in the sync lossless doc. Only difference I can see is I'm syncing from MC to a folder ..\iTunes\MC rather than ..\iTunes in an attempt to save the ringtones i have loaded in iTunes\Ringtones

I've just started it again.

Stephen

helpme

« Reply #480 on: December 26, 2009, 02:15:37 pm »

If you don't mind my asking, what issue does this create for you?

I have 20k+ music tracks in MC and use iTunes to sync multiple iPhones. Each of the iPhones I sync have different content.

I use MCiS to sync my MC and iTunes libraries. It works perfectly for me.

Randy

I'm having the same issue with the system process running forever in iTunes trying to import or sync files which are not in the selected playlists.

I'm using the method described in the documentation for syncing lossless files as around half of my 45K tracks are in flac. My understanding of that method is that MC is used to convert/export files to the iTunes directory and then the sync program reads them into iTunes and deletes from the iTunes database any files not now in the iTunes directories. Anyway still not working for me using this method.

Taxee

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #481 on: December 26, 2009, 02:22:38 pm »

I am running MC 13 under Windowsw Vista and just installed iTunes as I just bought me daughter an iPod Touch.  I am primarily interested in moving the ratings across to iTunes.  Your program should solve my ratings sync problem.

However, when I attempt to sync i get the following error message in the log file:

<Result EndDateTime="2009-12-26T12:15:06">
Could not access J River Media Center. Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {572802D5-FBF6-4C30-89CA-BDF2CE4AEC2B} failed due to the following error: 80040154.</Result>
</MCiS>

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #482 on: December 30, 2009, 07:48:50 am »

I'm having the same issue with the system process running forever in iTunes trying to import or sync files which are not in the selected playlists.

Again, the sync is not limited to the playlists you select. Use the /Playlist command line argument to do this, please read the instructions.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #483 on: December 30, 2009, 07:52:54 am »

I am running MC 13 under Windowsw Vista and just installed iTunes as I just bought me daughter an iPod Touch.  I am primarily interested in moving the ratings across to iTunes.  Your program should solve my ratings sync problem.

However, when I attempt to sync i get the following error message in the log file:

<Result EndDateTime="2009-12-26T12:15:06">
Could not access J River Media Center. Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {572802D5-FBF6-4C30-89CA-BDF2CE4AEC2B} failed due to the following error: 80040154.</Result>
</MCiS>

Thanks for your help.

This may be due to MC not being registered in the OS properly - it can happen when having two versions of MC installed (e.g. 13 & 14) and uninstalling one. To fix, reinstall the version you currently have installed. For instance, you are using MC13 (probably build 172), so try simply running "MediaCenter130172.exe" and this will re-register MC whilst not altering your current setup.

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #484 on: December 30, 2009, 08:09:41 am »

OK, gave it another shot today and got a bit further: for some reason the restricition to a playlist didn't work for me. Restriction to a ViewScheme worked like charm though.
Also found the option to log missing file errors and voila: problem seems to be that MCiS doesn't find my iTunes library content:

<MC Version="14.0.71" LibraryName="Mucke2" LibraryPath="M:\MCDB\" ViewScheme="Audio\iPhoneSync" />
  <iTunes Version="9.0.2.25" />
  <FileNotFound Pathname="\\EL-CATTIVO\Eigene Dateien\Eigene Musik\iTunes\Bill Bryson\A Short History of Nearly Everything\25 CH 24 - Cells 1.mp3" />
  <FileNotFound Pathname="\\EL-CATTIVO\Eigene Dateien\Eigene Musik\iTunes\Bill Bryson\A Short History of Nearly Everything\26 CH 25 -Darwin's Singular Notion 1.mp3" />
... and so on...

The files are definitely there.
Any idea?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #485 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47:47 am »

The files are definitely there.
Any idea?

The <FileNotFound> means the file is found in your iTunes library, but does not exist in your MC library. It has nothing to do with its physical presence on disk. The file pathname in iTunes and MC for the file must match exactly (though it is case insensitive). The comparison is made between the pathname in iTunes and the [Filename] or [iTunesFileKey] field in MC, dependent on where "Use Alternative File Keys" is checked in Settings.

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #486 on: January 02, 2010, 03:35:38 pm »

OK that did it. Must have missed that info somehow...

Now I couldn't be much happier, works like charm  ;D

prod

• Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v5.3]
« Reply #487 on: January 03, 2010, 07:20:35 am »

v5.3;

• Added support for half star ratings in iTunes, these ratings are rounded down in MC (e.g. 3½ in iTunes becomes 3 in MC) though they can be accessed in the MC fields [iTunesRatingSync] and [iTunesAlbumRating]
  • Added elimination in iTunes of "ghost" star ratings (a by-product of Album Ratings)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #488 on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:37 am »

Thanks for another release ;D

And Happy New Year...

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #489 on: January 03, 2010, 10:50:52 am »

Cheers, back at you :)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #490 on: January 10, 2010, 12:53:54 pm »

Still running 5.0.1 - getting ready to update to 5.3 - is the issue fixed (or has it been reported) where running iTunes sync deletes playlists/folders out of iTunes if they have an ' in them?  Lost all my playlists in iTunes when I grouped by name using folders called 'Name1's Playlists', 'Name2's Playslists' , etc and then ran iTunes Sync.  Note that nothing in these folders is being managed/touched by the iTunes Sync process.

Edit:  Appears to be fixed in 5.3 - created some disposable playlists and folders and they survived the sync.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2010, 03:44:13 pm »

Hi BartMan

Playlists in iTunes are deleted under certain conditions, but certainly not because they have an apostrophe in them. Remember this is a synchronization utility, not (merely) an export utility - there is a slight but distinct difference between the two functions. The full details are at the top of the thread, in the playlists sync section of the instructions.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2010, 04:00:54 pm »

Hi BartMan

Playlists in iTunes are deleted under certain conditions, but certainly not because they have an apostrophe in them. Remember this is a synchronization utility, not (merely) an export utility - there is a slight but distinct difference between the two functions. The full details are at the top of the thread, in the playlists sync section of the instructions.

Understood, but (at least in 5.0.1) I was seeing it delete playlists with apostrophes in them.

Initially I was trying to sync to a 'MC's Playlists' folder and it didn't seem to work.  With no other changes than the name to 'iTunes Sync' it worked.

Fast forward a few weeks and I had forgotten about my initial issue with the '.  Created the folders mentioned above and after running sync they were gone.

I am positive that something in the MC Sync process was deleting them, but it appears the issue is resolved for now. 

Thanks.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

Fair enough, but I haven't modified the code that deals with creation/deletion of iTunes playlists since v4.6.

Glad it's working OK now though.

Cheers.

dcpete

• World Citizen
Help with lossless
« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »

Ok, I've been using MC & iTunes Synchronizer for a few weeks now and am very happy with it.  Great program!  I am pretty happy with my workflow and wouldn't change a thing except it occurs to me I could be doing things more efficiently.  I have read through Zxsix's guide to syncing lossless and realize my goals may not be the same, so I have a few questions.  First of all let me describe my setup.

1) I maintain two duplicate databases.  One is lossless WMA and some lossless FLAC.  I also have mixed into this database MP3 files that I don't have lossless versions of.  The second database is purely MP3.  This database is an exact copy of the mostly lossless database.  Both databases have the same number of files.

2) The lossless database is used strictly at home.  I use MC for this, no problems, no complaints.

3) I use the MP3 database purely for portable devices.  This is currently a new iPod Classic 160.

4) The MP3 database is synced to both MC and iTunes with help of MCiTunes Sync.

5) I do not use iTunes except for the actual downloading of MP3 files and playlists to the iPod.

6) I copy the entire collection onto the iPod, currently over 25,000 songs and about 120GB.  I do not desire to have lossless versions on my iPod.

Ok, I have all this in place and have the workflow going well.  Now I'm wondering if there is a better way to sync up my lossless with the mp3 equivalants.  So here are my questions after reading the guide.

1) Will this method improve my workflow?  The main issue right now is the tagging of my MP3 collection and lossless collection potentially can get out of sync (especially when iTunes does something unexpected).

2) If so, can I avoid the step of starting from a clean directory on the iTunes side?  I have already converted everything to MP3, so it would be very time-consuming to start all over?

3) How do I manage the mix of mp3,lossless wma and lossless flac from the master directory?  I understand how to add the field iTunesFileKey.  That makes sense to me.  But what would I do for the embedded MP3 files in the lossless collection that I don't need a pointer to?  Would I leave that field blank, or treat them exactly the same as the lossless fields?

4) Since I want to copy the entire collection onto my iPod, do I still need to manage this with smart playlists in MC as discussed in the document? 

My scenario is a bit different than Zxsix, but enough the same that I wonder if the process can be beneficial.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #495 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:26 pm »

So here are my questions after reading the guide.

I'm on my way out for a business trip that will last all of next week, so I'm gonna have to do a quick drive-by on this and then let prod fill in any holes later.

1) Will this method improve my workflow?  The main issue right now is the tagging of my MP3 collection and lossless collection potentially can get out of sync (especially when iTunes does something unexpected).

Personally I would scrap the 2nd library that's all mp3.
My "mp3 library" is the itunes music folder that MC sees as a portable folder and populates by converting my flacs to mp3.
When the tags on the flac changes, it's seen as a modified file and the change gets pushed down to the mp3 when I "resync" the portable folder using MC.

2) If so, can I avoid the step of starting from a clean directory on the iTunes side?  I have already converted everything to MP3, so it would be very time-consuming to start all over?

This would only work if the actual path and filename in the existing itunes music folder exactly matches the itunesfilekey value.
Since the itunesfilekey is populated with an expression, that's not likely to happen, since you won't be editing it manually.
Personally I'd just wipe the contents of the itunes music folder and then let MC convert and populate it.
Then use MCIS to build the itunes database.

3) How do I manage the mix of mp3,lossless wma and lossless flac from the master directory?  I understand how to add the field iTunesFileKey.  That makes sense to me.  But what would I do for the embedded MP3 files in the lossless collection that I don't need a pointer to?  Would I leave that field blank, or treat them exactly the same as the lossless fields?

When configuring the handheld folder, set the conversion option to convert all noncompatible file types.  In MC's device "files & paths" section, fill in mp3;jpg for the supported types.  Now MC will put the mp3s in the itunes folder without conversion, and will convert the flac and wma on the fly.

4) Since I want to copy the entire collection onto my iPod, do I still need to manage this with smart playlists in MC as discussed in the document? 

MCIS by default will put all songs into itunes unless you use the command line switch and limit it to a specific viewscheme.
You'd want a viewscheme that includes all audio files, and then exceptions to weed out things you wouldn't want on the ipod (say holiday music or songs longer than 8 minutes or songs shorter than 1 minute).

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #496 on: January 16, 2010, 01:32:22 am »

Ok, I'm taking your advise and started fresh.  So far so good except that it looks like it's going to take 3 days to convert everything to MP3.  I sure wish there was a way I could have avoided this, especially since everything was already converted.  Oh well, I am looking forward to the prospect of just maintaining one database.

Thanks, Chris

prod

• Play nice
Re: Help with lossless
« Reply #497 on: January 16, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

3) How do I manage the mix of mp3,lossless wma and lossless flac from the master directory?  I understand how to add the field iTunesFileKey.  That makes sense to me.  But what would I do for the embedded MP3 files in the lossless collection that I don't need a pointer to?  Would I leave that field blank, or treat them exactly the same as the lossless fields?

Hi Chris, if a file's [iTunesFileKey] is empty, [Filename] is used instead, so those mp3's in your collection should be fine as they are. Of course, creating another copy of them like zxsix suggests won't hurt either.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #498 on: January 16, 2010, 10:38:14 am »

Hi Chris, if a file's [iTunesFileKey] is empty, [Filename] is used instead, so those mp3's in your collection should be fine as they are. Of course, creating another copy of them like zxsix suggests won't hurt either.

I figured they would use an expression that would populate the iTunesfilekey field instead of manually editing it.  In that case, there wouldn't be any blanks.   Unless your expression is sophisticated enough to only fill in for flac filetype.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #499 on: January 17, 2010, 04:34:16 am »

Yeah true, I think the following would do it...

If(IsEqual([File Type],mp3,1),,expression)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 21   Go Up