INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v6.0.2]  (Read 462037 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v6.0.1]
« Reply #750 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:35 pm »

Without digging through this massive thread, can someone answer me a few questions about this plugin?  I know things have changed dramatically since the first version, but I haven't been following along closely enough and now there is a giant morass to wade through if I want to catch up.

1. Can it convert on-the-fly from unsupported formats (mostly flac for me) when it syncs?  What I need is something like the built-in conversion engine where it uses compatible stacked versions if they're there, and makes them if they aren't.  I prefer to sync to my phones with MC's Convert Unsupported Formats and High Bitrates (with MP3 set to "High Quality Portable"), because it saves space and I don't care about quality much in my loud car and crappy white earbuds.

2. I'm pretty sure this is a "yes", but can I set it to sync a pre-selected set of Playlists from my library?

3. Can I run the sync on a schedule somehow so that it happens weekly at 3am when I'm not at my server PC?  MC is running 24/7 on that machine.

My goal is basically to have iTunes regularly get a randomly-changing subset of my main MC library, built based on some Smart Playlists.  When it syncs the next time, it should remove any tracks it finds in iTunes that are no longer "matching" in the selected Smartlists and Playlists.  I'm happy to sacrifice 30GB (or whatever) of hard drive space for the iTunes library to make duplicates that eventually just get deleted (that's what I do now with the built-in MC engine and iTLU).

It would be awesome if it would then sync ratings back from my iPhones to my MC library for files that got changed on my phones in the interim, though I really don't care about that too much.  I'm just looking for a much easier way to accomplish my current iPhone syncing system.  iTunes is not used on any of my machines for anything except syncing my iPhone (and buying apps and phone-related stuff like that).  To me, iTunes is a sync engine, not a media player.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #751 on: January 10, 2012, 12:44:14 am »

Without digging through this massive thread, can someone answer me a few questions about this plugin?  I know things have changed dramatically since the first version, but I haven't been following along closely enough and now there is a giant morass to wade through if I want to catch up.

1. Can it convert on-the-fly from unsupported formats (mostly flac for me) when it syncs?  What I need is something like the built-in conversion engine where it uses compatible stacked versions if they're there, and makes them if they aren't.  I prefer to sync to my phones with MC's Convert Unsupported Formats and High Bitrates (with MP3 set to "High Quality Portable"), because it saves space and I don't care about quality much in my loud car and crappy white earbuds.

2. I'm pretty sure this is a "yes", but can I set it to sync a pre-selected set of Playlists from my library?

3. Can I run the sync on a schedule somehow so that it happens weekly at 3am when I'm not at my server PC?  MC is running 24/7 on that machine.

My goal is basically to have iTunes regularly get a randomly-changing subset of my main MC library, built based on some Smart Playlists.  When it syncs the next time, it should remove any tracks it finds in iTunes that are no longer "matching" in the selected Smartlists and Playlists.  I'm happy to sacrifice 30GB (or whatever) of hard drive space for the iTunes library to make duplicates that eventually just get deleted (that's what I do now with the built-in MC engine and iTLU).

It would be awesome if it would then sync ratings back from my iPhones to my MC library for files that got changed on my phones in the interim, though I really don't care about that too much.  I'm just looking for a much easier way to accomplish my current iPhone syncing system.  iTunes is not used on any of my machines for anything except syncing my iPhone (and buying apps and phone-related stuff like that).  To me, iTunes is a sync engine, not a media player.

1. I'm not completely sure but I don't think it will convert formats for you, it just can import and sync into iTunes. But this is actually to be answered by the creator

2. Yes, you can, via the commandline, start the sync with a parameter where you specifify a playlist or playlistgroup. Only files in this playlist or group will be synced and all files which are removed in MC can be removed in iTunes as well (same for newly imported ones)

3. The sync tool can run without any manual intervention with adding some parameters via the commandline. Then you can use Windows scheduler to plan the sync.

Hope this helps
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #752 on: January 10, 2012, 10:49:49 am »

That's very good to hear that it can be scheduled with the Task Scheduler (and executed by a command line).

2. Yes, you can, via the commandline, start the sync with a parameter where you specifify a playlist or playlistgroup. Only files in this playlist or group will be synced and all files which are removed in MC can be removed in iTunes as well (same for newly imported ones)

Just to be clear, you said "all files which are removed in MC can be removed in iTunes as well".  I won't be deleting any files (well, not most files) from my MC library itself, they'll just be removed from the selected set of Playlists.

For example, I have a Smart Playlist that looks like this for my iPhone:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[File Type]=[cda] [Removable]=0 -[Keywords]=[noipod] -[Rating]=1 [Channels]=<=2 ~mix=1800,6%,{[Genre]=[Alternative]},10%,{[Genre]=[Americana]},6%,{[Genre]=[Classic Rock]},10%,{[Genre]=[Electronic]},3%,{[Genre]=[Folk]},15%,{[Genre]=[Indie]},4%,{[Genre]=[Jazz]},6%,{[Genre]=[Pop]},8%,{[Genre]=[Progressive]},10%,{[Genre]=[Psychedelic Rock]},4%,{[Genre]=[Punk]},6%,{[Genre]=[Reggae]},3%,{[Genre]=[Rock]},3%,{[Genre]=[Trance]},6%,{[Genre]=[Urban]} ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #],[Name]
That's my "main mix" list for my phone.  This basically builds a randomly mixed playlist of 1800 tracks using with the Genres distributed using those percentages.  So, it looks at the full MC library, and then builds that list, which is what I sync over to iTunes (and then to my phone).  I have other lists that are used too, like these:

600 Favorites:
[Rating]=>=4 [Media Type]=[audio] [Channels]=<=2 ~sort=Random ~n=600 ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Track #],[Name]200 Recent Imports:
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Media Sub Type]=[Audiobook] [Channels]=<=2 -[Rating]=1 ~sort=[Date Imported]-d ~n=200 ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #],[Name]
I have five or six of these types of lists.  And then I have a "regular" playlist that syncs too (for stuff I want to just "manually add").

So, I need the equivalent of the built-in Delete from Handheld any files not in the sync list feature.  If the file is "in" one of the lists (which will change every time it syncs), I need it to add it to iTunes.  If a file is no longer "in" the list (because the randomized lists changed with the next sync, for example, or maybe because I removed the item from the manual list), then I need that track to be removed from iTunes.

Does it do this?

I could work around the inability to convert on the fly by pre-converting and stacking my entire library on a regular basis.  But I can't work around this part.  I don't want to have to manually delete or add any file to iTunes to get it off of my phone.  Like I said, iTunes is a sync engine.  I don't even look at the files in it's database except to manually set audiobooks to Media Kind = Audiobook occasionally when I add a new book.  I certainly don't want to have to manually remove stuff from iTunes to get it off of my phone (that would be more work than the sync workflow I'm doing now).

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #753 on: January 10, 2012, 12:46:52 pm »

Hi Glynor,

I use smartlists too for syncing MC to iTunes, that works perfectly, when you sync again, the smarltlists will be updated in iTunes with the same content as in MC.

Regarding deletions, the sync program does not delete physically the files, only from the iTunes library.
You have 2 options in the sync program:
1. Keep all files that were ever synched from MC to iTunes (also if they become obsolete)
2. When items are not in your list to be synched from MC to iTunes, also remove them from the iTunes library and add the new ones.
This is a setting in the sync program.

One side effect: you can only specify 1 playlist/smartlist or group in the command parameter if you don't want the full library to sync, so what I did is create a smartlist called "iTunes sync" which then includes all playlist/smartlists to get synced, or you can create a group where underneath all playlists are mentioned to be synced to iTunes, then you select this group as playlist to be synced and it will take all files underneath it (cascading) for syncing.

Then in the sync program you can specify which playlists should be created in iTunes as well, if you specify that group, it will automatic create the playlists underneath it in iTunes, even if you add a new one later (or remove), in iTunes you will have the same folder structure for your playlists as in MC.

Feel free to ask if something is not clear.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #754 on: January 10, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

Thanks!  Option 2 sounds like what I'd want.  I only said "delete" because with my current system, MC actually makes duplicates of the files themselves and imports those into iTunes, since I use the built-in MC sync functionality.  If this does the same thing while pointing iTunes directly to my media files, that's fine.

One side effect: you can only specify 1 playlist/smartlist or group in the command parameter if you don't want the full library to sync, so what I did is create a smartlist called "iTunes sync" which then includes all playlist/smartlists to get synced, or you can create a group where underneath all playlists are mentioned to be synced to iTunes, then you select this group as playlist to be synced and it will take all files underneath it (cascading) for syncing.

Yeah, I figured I'd do this.  I already have a Playlist Group.  I'd just have to tweak it a bit, but no biggie.

So, the main problem I need to solve is the varying file types problem (flac and high-bitrate MP3 files, mostly).  I need to figure out a way to replicate the built-in auto-convert unsupported file types and high bitrates feature of MC's sync utility, and then I could probably use this instead.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #755 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:25 am »

in my mc library i have 140.000 songs, in my itunes library also
i have select a playlistgroup with 2600 songs
what is mcis doing in the following phase - "analyzing 1 of 140.000, sychronized 1 of 140.000 so far"
because the prozess is getting slower and slower

after 1 hour - analyzing 5000 of 140.000, sychronized 5000 of 140.000 so far
after 5 hour - analyzing 11500 of 140.000, sychronized 11500 of 140.000 so far

does mcis this phase once only

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #756 on: January 15, 2012, 12:20:08 pm »

Some fields take longer to sync than others - lyrics in particular. Be selective.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #757 on: January 15, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
 :D                                                                                            :D
 :D                                                                                            :D
 :D                                    Hi PROD                                           :D
 :D                                     Perfect                                            :D
 :D                     library 138.472   Playlist 2671                        :D
 :D             sychronisation after 2 hour to succeed                  :D
 :D                             excellent program                                   :D
 :D                                   Thank you                                         :D
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #758 on: January 17, 2012, 03:32:54 pm »

Thanks, glad that sorted it!

bkullmann

« Reply #759 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:42 pm »

I have just installed tunes 10.5.3 and tried to run Synchroniser, but it fails with the following error "Unable to cast COM object of type 'iTunesLib.iTunesAppClass' to interface type 'iTunesLib.IiTunes'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{9DD6680B-3EDC-40DB-A771-E6FE4832E34A}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE))"

It used to work perfectly this morning with iTunes 10.5.2 installed.

Any ideas?

Sorryy - running on Win 7 32bit with MC 17.0.68 (latest stable)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #760 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:37 am »

I have just installed tunes 10.5.3 and tried to run Synchroniser, but it fails with the following error "Unable to cast COM object of type 'iTunesLib.iTunesAppClass' to interface type 'iTunesLib.IiTunes'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{9DD6680B-3EDC-40DB-A771-E6FE4832E34A}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE))"

It used to work perfectly this morning with iTunes 10.5.2 installed.

Any ideas?

Sorryy - running on Win 7 32bit with MC 17.0.68 (latest stable)

Works fine for me.

I have:
 iTunes 10.5.3.3
MCiS 6.0.1
MC17 17.0.65
Windows 7 32bit

The version of MC is an older version than you have. I also tried it a newer beta version of MC and everything still works fine.

You may want to re-install iTunes by downloading it first from the Apple site and then installing.

reedk

• Recent member
Itunes asking me every time if it should delete a file
« Reply #761 on: January 30, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »

Any way to batch up the deletes so that iTunes doesn't ask me one by one to delete the files from the itunes database when I run MCiS?

I checked fix broken links in itunes in MCiS and the latest itunes asks me if it's ok to delete the file for each file that needs to be deleted when I run MCiS to update my playlists and files.  If it's an iCloud file then I have to check the check box each time it asks.  It's a lotta checkin and clickin.

thx

Reed

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #762 on: January 31, 2012, 09:34:55 am »

Any way to batch up the deletes so that iTunes doesn't ask me one by one to delete the files from the itunes database when I run MCiS?

I checked fix broken links in itunes in MCiS and the latest itunes asks me if it's ok to delete the file for each file that needs to be deleted when I run MCiS to update my playlists and files.  If it's an iCloud file then I have to check the check box each time it asks.  It's a lotta checkin and clickin.

+1

...or as a start, let MCiTS' window get pushed to the background when an iTunes dialog pops up...?

brad

reedk

• Recent member
« Reply #763 on: January 31, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »

I'm not sure what the +1 means.

The itunes dialog comes to the front - over and over again - so that part is pretty straightforward.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Itunes asking me every time if it should delete a file
« Reply #764 on: January 31, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »

I checked fix broken links in itunes in MCiS and the latest itunes asks me if it's ok to delete the file for each file that needs to be deleted when I run MCiS to update my playlists and files.  If it's an iCloud file then I have to check the check box each time it asks.  It's a lotta checkin and clickin.

Oh, crap.  iTLU doesn't do that.  They all "delete" with no user interaction at all.

I can't switch then.  That'd ruin it completely for me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #766 on: February 01, 2012, 01:30:58 am »

thx

Reed

I'll have a look at fixing that, give me a few days.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #767 on: February 01, 2012, 09:03:15 am »

I'll have a look at fixing that, give me a few days.

I've never seen the problem myself. Is this related to using iCloud?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2012, 01:42:15 pm »

I've never seen the problem myself. Is this related to using iCloud?

Hm you could be right, this isn't happening for me either. I don't use iTunes Match.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »

Maybe you're onto something...I DO use iTunes Match, and see the confirmation dialog when using MCiTS to delete tracks from iTunes.

brad

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #770 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »

Maybe you're onto something...I DO use iTunes Match, and see the confirmation dialog when using MCiTS to delete tracks from iTunes.

brad

As I thought. This is either related to iCloud & maybe only with iCloud & iTunes Match. One one hand I would say Apple is new to the cloud, so all of this functionality is not yet mature. There are other things they need to consider in this model. While I don't use iCloud myself I've done some reading up on it. When you delete a song from iTunes it will also delete it from any synchronized devices. There is also a prompt if ask if you want to delete it from iCloud. This is probably why you are getting the prompt. If I were Apple I would not want to get blamed for deleting stuff from iCloud without the user being involved.

EDIT:
While all this cloud stuff looks simple to the user, it is actually very complicated behind the scenes. That's one reason why I choose not to use iCloud for now. Maybe later as it becomes more mature. Also, iTunes Match is useless for me as I've done extensive tagging that is maintained in the files. iTunes Match does not upload your original files to the cloud. It only uploads the ones that are missing from their larger database. So I can't see how my tagging is preserved (unless it is using a copy of my iTunes library to reference the tags).

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #771 on: February 12, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »

I'm trying to schedule MCiS to sync MC and iTunes in the background using Win7 x64, but get the following error when I try: "An error occurred filling the playlist tree. Try loading MC manually first."

The sync process works fine if I manually open MCiS and execute the sync process.

I get the same error when I try to run "C:\Users\Public\Documents\MCiS\MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe" directly from an admin command prompt.

I'm using: MC v 17.0.85 and MCiS 6.0.1

What's wrong?

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #772 on: February 13, 2012, 03:32:18 pm »

hi prod

where is in mc the field "sort album" and "sort artist"

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #773 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »

I'm trying to schedule MCiS to sync MC and iTunes in the background using Win7 x64, but get the following error when I try: "An error occurred filling the playlist tree. Try loading MC manually first."

The sync process works fine if I manually open MCiS and execute the sync process.

I get the same error when I try to run "C:\Users\Public\Documents\MCiS\MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe" directly from an admin command prompt.

I'm using: MC v 17.0.85 and MCiS 6.0.1

What's wrong?

It means it can't find MC, most likely because you're attempting to run it as another user.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #774 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:34 pm »

hi prod

where is in mc the field "sort album" and "sort artist"

Hi, these fields don't exist in MC, they're generated using MC expressions. If you right-click on the field name, e.g. Sort Album, in MCiS it'll let you edit the expression it sends to MC to get the value to put in iTunes.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #775 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:27 pm »

It means it can't find MC, most likely because you're attempting to run it as another user.

OK, but how do I get MCiS to "find" MC? I'm running the command from a DOS command window that I opened under my user account. The same account I use when I run MCiS manually.

Do I need to tell it the path to the MC library? If so, what's the syntax?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #776 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »

It's not really a case of knowing MC's physical location via a command line, it uses a COM SDK that is exposed by MC. All sorts of dark magic going on under the hood.

What did you mean when you said you were trying to run it in the background, and trying to run it from an admin command prompt?

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #777 on: February 14, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »

What did you mean when you said you were trying to run it in the background, and trying to run it from an admin command prompt?

I first tried setting up a scheduled task using Win7 Task Scheduler and the syntax documented on page one of this post, but that didn't work.

I then started troubleshooting, by reasoning that if I ran the same syntax directly from a DOS prompt, that would rule out the Task Scheduler as the culprit, but I got the same error when launched from the DOS prompt.

Again, everything works fine if I manually launch MCiS from an icon, but it doesn't work from the command line/scheduler.

What can I do?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #778 on: February 14, 2012, 03:19:34 pm »

Works fine from the command line here. Make sure you're not running the command line as administrator. Try Start>Run, type 'cmd' then enter. Then try running MCiS from there.

Also, try running it from the same folder as the MCiS exe file.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #779 on: February 14, 2012, 03:56:30 pm »

Make sure you're not running the command line as administrator. Try Start>Run, type 'cmd' then enter. Then try running MCiS from there

That did it. I was running from an admin cmd window and had scheduled the task to "Run with highest priveledges". Running from a non-admin cmd window and with the "highest priveledges" box unchecked works.

Thanks for your help! It would be helpful to add that tip at the front of this thread in your sticky post.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #780 on: February 14, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »

That did it. I was running from an admin cmd window and had scheduled the task to "Run with highest priveledges". Running from a non-admin cmd window and with the "highest priveledges" box unchecked works.

Thanks for your help! It would be helpful to add that tip at the front of this thread in your sticky post.

Great stuff, glad to help.

chromathegreat

• Recent member
« Reply #781 on: February 15, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »

So when I run this, it all looks fine, loads the MC library, then says it's analyzing and syncing the iTunes database, but then says "the Writer is closed or in error state." I had this running before, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else had this problem before?  I'm using MC 16, btw. Thanks for your help, as always.

EDIT: Ok, so when I go to the log, it says a duplicate MC cache key exists, but I'm it entirely sure what that means.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #782 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

Duplicate cache key means you have two entries in your MC library sharing the same path and filename. Shouldn't be allowed to happen, but it's been reported before.

...UNLESS you have Use Alternative Keys checked in Settings, then it means your iTunesFileKey MC field contains duplicates.

chromathegreat

• Recent member
« Reply #783 on: February 17, 2012, 02:20:10 pm »

Hmm, I don't have Use Alternative Keys checked.  Is there any way to run some sort of diagnostic test on my MC library to find out where the duplicates are and rename them?  Or some sort of cleanup utility?

Thanks again for the help.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #784 on: February 17, 2012, 03:05:52 pm »

Not that I know of. You could probably create a smartlist showing only entries with duplicates on the pathname field.

Apologies for not giving a better error message here, at the point of design I probably thought this wouldnt happen... My bad!

chromathegreat

• Recent member
« Reply #785 on: February 17, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot :)

--Andrew

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #786 on: February 19, 2012, 08:04:45 am »

hi prod
can you tell me the name from the itunes fields
"album artist sort"
"composer sort"

the fiels "artist sort" and "album sort" have i create in mc and fill it. go faster

but with the other two fields, without success

mfg rhgh

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #787 on: February 19, 2012, 09:11:40 am »

hi prod
can you tell me the name from the itunes fields
"album artist sort"
"composer sort"

the fiels "artist sort" and "album sort" have i create in mc and fill it. go faster

but with the other two fields, without success

mfg rhgh

I'm not sure what you mean? If you right-click the checkbox fields "Sort Album Artist" and "Sort Composer" in MCiS, you should see the MC expression that is currently being used. You can edit the expression here, as well as revert it back to the default setting. If you were to instead create a calculated field in MC called, for example "SortAlbumArtist", then you would simply enter [SortAlbumArtist] into this expression edit box in MCiS.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #788 on: February 19, 2012, 10:34:32 am »

hi prod
when i use mcis to fill the fields (album sort - artist sort - composer sort - album artist sort) i think my pc run 2 weeks thru.
that's why i create in mc the fields artist sort and album sort, fill the fields with the function move/copy fields, import the music in itunes and the information is also in the itunes fields.

but i can't find information over the fields (album artist sort and composer sort).
all test with this two fields failled.

save itunes the information in the id3tags

mfg rhgh

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #789 on: February 19, 2012, 11:11:43 am »

I think I see, you're looking for the names of the tags where iTunes stores this info in the physical file.

This help any? http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #790 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »

hi prod

yes
i create in mc the field albumartistsort but it failed.
it's not the same who itunes used

mfg rhgh

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #791 on: February 19, 2012, 02:58:50 pm »

How can I import only a subset of my MC library into iTunes?  I only want to sync those files in a couple of smartlists, yet if I check the 'Import files to iTunes of type' box it imports everything, not just the smartlists I have selected on the main screen...

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #792 on: February 19, 2012, 04:25:33 pm »

hi prod

yes
i create in mc the field albumartistsort but it failed.
it's not the same who itunes used

mfg rhgh

Not sure then, sorry.

How can I import only a subset of my MC library into iTunes?  I only want to sync those files in a couple of smartlists, yet if I check the 'Import files to iTunes of type' box it imports everything, not just the smartlists I have selected on the main screen...

Use the /Playlist command line argument to limit the scope of the sync to one playlist.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #793 on: February 20, 2012, 04:32:52 pm »

Use the /Playlist command line argument to limit the scope of the sync to one playlist.
It worked great- thank you!

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #794 on: February 21, 2012, 03:00:14 pm »

I have my sync task scheduled to run over night and everything works correctly except that MCiS doesn't shut down iTunes when it is done.

I have the option checked to close iTunes when syncing is finished and MCiS closes itunes correctly when I manually execute the task. It's only when it runs overnight that MCiS doesn't closes iTunes.

Is there a setting or a trick to making it close iTunes? In MC, MCiS, or iTunes?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #795 on: February 22, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »

Have you tried scheduling it during the evening and watching what it is doing? If iTunes is in the middle of something it doesn't necessarily respond to a shutdown request. I've noticed this myself when shutting down my computer with iTunes loaded.

rjm

« Reply #796 on: March 01, 2012, 11:39:25 pm »

New user here. I have read all the documentation, but not this long thread, sorry if these are repeat questions.

1) Fields to export from MC to iTunes

Some of the choices seem to be standard iTunes fields but non-existent fields in MC. For example: Track Count, Disc Count, Sort Artist, Sort Album, Sort Name, Sort Album Artist, and Sort Composer. I do not understand what happens when I select one of these. How can they export from MC to iTunes if they do not exist in MC?

Similarly, Mix Album is an MC field but not an iTunes field. What happens when Mix Album is selected? I do want Compilation to be set in iTunes when Mix Album is set in MC. Do I need to select Mix Album for this to occur?

2) Import files to iTunes of types:

I have a small subset of my 270,000 MC files in iTunes. I do not want to add any more files from MC to iTunes. My understanding is that if I do not select "Import files to iTunes of types" then no more files will be added to iTunes. Correct?

Thanks for your help.

rjm

« Reply #797 on: March 02, 2012, 01:13:49 am »

Just ran my first synchronization. It failed with the following error: "Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program."

I have 270,000 files in MC and 60,000 files in iTunes.

Minimal options were selected. No fields to aggregate. No playlists. No Lyrics. No adding files to iTunes. MP3 only. Just the basic fields (Name, Artist, Album, Track, Year, Genre, and Mix Album).

All I really want to do is set Compilation in iTunes using Mix Album in MC. Nothing else needs to be synchronized.

Any suggestions?

rjm

« Reply #798 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:20 am »

Ran it again. This time shut down all apps except MC and iTunes. Deselected all fields to export except Mix Album.

Watched progress of MCiTunesSynchronizer loading MC library and memory usage with Process Explorer.

Memory use started at about 220 MB and grew smoothly to 430 MB when 243,000 of 270,000 files were loaded and then MCiTunesSynchronizer terminated with error "Return argument has an invalid type."

I am out of ideas. Nothing left to simplify that I can see. Suggestions please.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:41 am »

Ran it again. This time shut down all apps except MC and iTunes. Deselected all fields to export except Mix Album.

Watched progress of MCiTunesSynchronizer loading MC library and memory usage with Process Explorer.

Memory use started at about 220 MB and grew smoothly to 430 MB when 243,000 of 270,000 files were loaded and then MCiTunesSynchronizer terminated with error "Return argument has an invalid type."

I am out of ideas. Nothing left to simplify that I can see. Suggestions please.

A couple of suggestions.

If you are OK with having the whole large library in iTunes (270,000 tracks) I suggest you import everything in iTunes using the standard iTunes import to establish the initial library. Then synchronize with MCiS.

I don't use the feature, but I think you can synchronize a subset of your large library using a playlist. That may be a better approach for you. Use the /Playlist command line argument to limit the scope of the sync to one playlist. I'm not sure how it treats tracks in iTunes that are not in scope of the sync. Hopefully it does not delete them. If this is an important point for you (preserving your existing iTunes library) you may want to back it up before you try this sync method.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up