INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC spec  (Read 3865 times)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
HTPC spec
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:23:33 am »

So I'm slowly moving from using an old PC as my HTPC to a one designed from the ground up to be a HTPC.
  • 1 ATI HD 4550  -  $40.  (Already have this.)
  • 1 AMD e4850 - About $55.
  • 1 GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 motherboard - $60 after rebate.
  • 1 WD 640GB Caviar Green  HD.  $70.
  • 2 1GB 1066 DDR2 memory - $33
  • 1 Vista MCE remote - about $20
  • 1 LG BluRay ROM - $110.
  • Vista Home Premium System builder - $99
  • Lian Li fanless AL case for around $100
  • PSU of some sort.  ($50 seasonic?)
  • Media Center 14

It has a few things that offend me...

• Almost $700.
  • Vista for one.  I'm getting vista mostly to be able to use a Vista MCE remote but also for the MPEG2 decoding and DX10.  But vista's little popups for UAC and whatnot are not tremendously enjoyable on a HTPC.
  • The case for another.  There is a silverstone case that is nice.  But what I really want is as short a tower as possible that I can stuff behind everything.  I'm finding tons of little fans or LCD screens I don't want.

What I like is...

• Under $700.
  • Quiet and low power.
  • Might be able to go fanless or nearly so.
  • The motherboard has optical and coax digital out.
  • HDMI to the TV
  • HD decoding and sound built into the 4550.
  • The AMD is 45W at full load and, according to the review I read, offers plenty of speed for a blu ray setup.
  • The 4550 is about 25W at full load and is passively cooled.

Any thoughts?  What are other people using?

(BTW, I love google docs.  Wrote most of this up last night and peeled it out of docs today.)

Daydream

Re: HTPC spec
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:49:58 pm »

Just a couple of thoughts:

1) The Gigabyte motherboard is full length. That doesn't belong in a system that I believe you'd try to make it as compact as possible. Think micro-ATX / mini-ITX format (will affect / be affected by the case choice)

2) I can't pinpoint the case (for that price) so... the exact model please.

3) I didn't quite catch the argument with Vista and MPEG-2 decoding. For once there are better free alternatives (Gabest decoder, etc). Second, MPEG-2 is a shrinking part of the equation, especially when going Blu-Ray, so you'll have to think more about the AVC decoders and the likes (ffdshow, the filters in MPC-HC which are available separately too, etc, to stay on the free side). As for UAC that can be turned off (is still anybody keeping it on?!?!). Also keep in mind Windows 7 is around the corner (RC is available and good for ~11 months without any nagging warnings; you'll have some other problems with the codecs but they're solvable).

4) Media Center... what version? :)

5) What are your intentions for storage? Is this already addressed as some form of external storage / NAS / whatnot? 640GB for a HDD is neither here nor there. If it's just for boot I'd go with something smaller/quite/cheap/reliable. If you plan to store movies - we're talking TBs and we're branching out to something else (and significantly more money).

6) No mention of any kind of TV Tuner - what are you intentions there?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »

The system can be pretty big.   I currently have a full antec sonota case hidden behind everything.   I like that gigabyte because of the audio.  I'll be a lot happier if I can ditch my audigy 2.  I've had a few driver issues with it.

The lian li turns out to have been a micro atx case.  I'll need to hunt down the other one I was looking at.

Do the free MPEG 2 decoders support DXVA?

I've plenty of storage.  I generally only rip a few DVDs at a time and I usually do not keep them on the system.  I also have most of my media on a NAS elsewhere.

Haven't thought about a TV tuner although I have one around here somewhere.

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:07:03 am »

Well regarding the size I guess it depends how you want it to look inside the rack with other equipment, on the side, etc.
For the sound, you already have the Ati 4550 which you can hook it up by HDMI to a receiver and you're all set, for both audio and video. An additional soundcard integrated on the motherboard, etc is not really needed.

Regarding free MPEG-2 and DXVA the short answer is No (or I haven't heard about it). However I'm not sure why would you need that. I mean it makes sense to use it where it counts. Any current CPU can decode MPEG-2 easily, so I would be more concerned about proper deinterlacing and color correction for the zillion of not so well authored DVDs out there. Because of that I would go with a software decoder that I can tweak even if I'd have the choice of a DXVA one (and I bet that whatever MS integrated doesn't present itself with many options).
On the other hand for h264 and VC-1 it does make sense to use filters that support DXVA since the offloading % is huge (you do get 1080 24p on 5-10% CPU). For these last two the filters integrated in MPC-HC are available separately.

Be aware of the storage, if you ever switch to backup your blu-rays to have them ready with 1 click (if not already doing so). The storage plan changes rather abruptly :).

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »

I have a couple of zones now and am planning on adding at least one more.  Hence the extra audio.

Thanks for the help.  Any thoughts on the mce remote thing?  That was more my reason for wanting vista than the mpeg2 decoder.

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »

I have this by Mediagate. I was able to teach my Logitech Harmony remotes (550, 890) to use its receiver so everything works great.

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:35:13 am »

You know what, I'll just venture another idea, even if it doesn't match your specs (hehe). Why don't you use a laptop as HTPC?

The news ones coming out (Asus K series, etc) have Ati 4xxx on board - so UVD2 to accelerate video and enough power even to play games; you get HDMI out for video and 7.1 audio. I bet that as any modern digital media oriented machine they'll have a remote control. Other things to look for - esata expansion so you can hook it up to... other things (SATA Hubs not excluded), and a swivel touchscreen whenever they produce a model like that and you don't have what to do with the money. Did I mention how compact a solution like that would be? :)

And yes they do run 24/7, you can even take the battery out, if it's always connected to the power grid :) Bulky machines no more; radical change in paradigm! :D

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:47:17 pm »

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:03:30 am »

The new dual-core atoms and mini-ITX boards are now available.  Still silent and passively cooled.

There are even i7 mini-ITX boards on the way.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 11:38:23 pm »

• Media Center 14

HA!  It's been leaked.  MC 14 will be released some day.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:41:01 pm »

Any thoughts on the mce remote thing?

Try RF instead of IR.

Been using RF for years. (ATI)

SO Cool

Got a Keyspan RF (VMC) 90 foot range.

Works cool with JRiver implement of this of this into MC

With RF, You can be anywhere in the house or outside

And crank up the volume

Do  whatever you want.

So cool

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 05:43:21 am »

It might work but what AV electronics in general use RF? So the chances to teach a universal remote RF (on top of IR) are pretty slim. Just another angle of the story.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 01:16:39 am »

It might work but what AV electronics in general use RF?

Do your homework.

So the chances to teach a universal remote RF (on top of IR) are pretty slim

IRs been out since the 50's

And All-in-one remotes, since the 60"s

Geeeeeee

I dont what to tell you Sir,

I dont need IRs or touch pads or whatever in every room or outside

The Rfs do every thing I need it to do.

MC is total Media Media enjoyment for all,

for me, mom or our Guest, whatever.

It just rocks , with RF.

We each got out own nitch

You like IR

I like Rf

No big deal, have fun.

Griff

Edit: My previous post was only something to give DP an another avenue to venture.

Pages: [1]   Go Up