INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rate album  (Read 2665 times)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
rate album
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:31:14 pm »

next to the album name, there should be a 5 star rating of the average rating of the songs of the album. maybe even let the user change that rating like a song.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
Re: rate album
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:50:35 pm »

I second this request - i particularly like the idea of the avg rating, but only for albums with ALL songs rated...?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »

Make a custom field? I have this for both Album and Artist as well as normal track rating. Though I would prefer if it was there in the beginning as well, yes.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:48:13 am »

..then create a calculated field

[Album Score] - [Album]

Crate a view scheme with that field as a pane  ;D

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:29:30 am »

I'd love to see Album Rating supported formally in MC.

Sometimes an album is much more than the sum of its parts.

I realise it is easy to add and edit a custom field, but the interface could make it a lot easier to actually select and rate albums.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:27:25 am »

Expressions would be able to do this automatically if they could work -across- files, currently they only work
-within- files.

johnnyboy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:35 am »

This has been requested multiple times over the years.
Think its a highly popular and desired feature :)

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:00:17 am »

Expressions would be able to do this automatically

Not too interested in automatic rating. I'm more interested in being able to rate an album as a piece of work but NOT have the individual tracks appear in my rating-based smartlists.

I do this currently with a custom field imaginatively named "Album Rating" but rating albums isn't as straightforward as it could be.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:07:17 pm »

Quote from: prod
..but the interface could make it a lot easier to actually select and rate albums.

..care to elaborate.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 02:03:58 pm »

I suppose I mean it'd be great to be able to rate the whole album from Album Thumbnails view or when grouping by album, rather than having to select all the tracks from the album and rate them all.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:07:50 pm »

- Thumbnails, if you hover above shows various stats etc. So lets say you choose which text to display below the thumb, then conceivably all it should require is a F2, key in the change and it applies to all files represented by the thumb.

If there was only one tag below its simple, but if there are more it can get tricky as you have the freedom to choose several tags to display below the thumb.

Also, does one expect to tag in a thumbs view or expect to see more info about the thumb whilst hovering, as is the current behaviour ?

- With grouped view, guess you could select a file, make a change and have it automatically apply to every other file within the group. But it would be a significant change in behaviour from the current way, meaning you have different ways of interacting depending on the view. Fear it might become more confusing  :-\

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:20:45 pm »

- Thumbnails, if you hover above shows various stats etc. So lets say you choose which text to display below the thumb, then conceivably all it should require is a F2, key in the change and it applies to all files represented by the thumb.

In this case I was thinking more of a right click context menu with a "Rate Album" submenu on it. This would then lead to a menu with your 1,2,3,4,5 star etc.

With grouped view, guess you could select a file, make a change and have it automatically apply to every other file within the group. But it would be a significant change in behaviour from the current way, meaning you have different ways of interacting depending on the view. Fear it might become more confusing  :-\

In group view there is generally a lot of space underneath where the large thumbnail typically resides. There's all sorts of stuff you could put under the thumbnail, including a rating control. In fact, a "Play" button of sorts would be good here as well in order to easily select and play an album - instead of having to select all the individual tracks and send them to playing now.

it applies to all files represented by the thumb.

Regarding this - I reckon the change should apply to all tracks of the album, regardless of whether all those tracks are selected or not, or even on-screen or not.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »

OK, so I have been using the basic functions of Media Center since ver 11 and now I'm jumping in with tweaks and requests!

Can someone help me with how the Calculated Custom field expression should look like to achieve and avg album rating based on the current track ratings - I've been fishing around within MC for the past hour and I'm sure its very simple for someone who knows what they're doing...

Thank-you for all your help.

Bart

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 01:59:00 am »

It's not possible to do that as yet  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up