INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to edit field "Director"?  (Read 3134 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
How to edit field "Director"?
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:51:31 am »

When I put some value into field "Director" I am not able to edit it afterwards. The value is apparently there however when I do "click to edit" (or F2) on it all I get is empty field allowing me only to "Add New Tag"??

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How to edit field "Director"?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:44:21 am »

You should get something similar to the following;

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:43 am »

Thank you Yaobing for explanation!
Hmm looking at your screenshot it suddenly makes sense. The problem is that in my systems (XP SP3, Vista SP1 64-bit) MC does not behave like that and it looks like this:

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:26:48 am »

How did you reach that point (F2, double-click etc.)?  You probably had some settings that made MC do that.  For example you can set MC to display the Tag window (as you did) when an entry is double-clicked.

In any case, you should be able to edit in side the Tag window too.  Try typing in the white area (in your image).

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:35:47 am »

No setting I am aware of. I simply selected the track and then in Action Window -> Tag -> clicked on field "Director".
I also did try to select the track and press F2 = the same result e.g. empty value and no list (although apparently there IS a value already in the tag).
If I type anything in the "white area" and hit Return this new value replaces the existing one (observing the track list) and when I try to edit it afterwards the situation is the very same as on my screenshot...

gappie

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:54:03 am »

when you go to the tag window click on the small icon in the left corner and choose "show all tags", could it be that there are two director fields showing? one empty and one with a value? like in the attachment?

:)
gab

edit: but then using f2 should have worked... was just a wild thought..

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:59 pm »

Well if that would be the case then the actual value (seen in the track list) would not be changed, would it?  8)
Anyway I tried and no - there is no other "Director" field used which is no surprise because so far I did not tag any video material at all...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:35:56 pm »

Here is a guess:

Your "Director" column is a custom column that shows a different field, not really Director field.

To verify my theory, go to standard view and show the video tracks.  Click Panes and choose Customize View...

On the resulting "Customize View" window, choose Director from the "Columns To Show" list, and click Edit... button.  If you are able to edit it, it is not the true Director field.  It is an Expression Column. 

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »

Custom field? Well it would have to be created first and I am pretty sure I did NOT create it  8)
Anyway I did what you suggested and I cannot edit it - MC says "Only expression columns can be edited"
I also checked Options -> Library & Folders -> Manage Library Fields -> Show all fields. Found only one "Director" field there and I cannot edit it at all.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:05 pm »

No, not custom field.  Custom column.

Director is a recently added field and it is not shown in the standard Details view by default.   Since your view has a Director column, you must have created a custom column in your standard view.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:04:53 pm »

?? I am confused. I don't understand why you differentiate "custom field" and "custom column"?? I mean the only way to add column in track list is to choose from available fields no matter what method is used like right-click any column and check additional one or going through Customize View menu, right?

Anyway the way I did it WAS through Customize View -> Columns To Show -> Preset -> Video. Then in the same Customize View window I added Director via Add button.

I wonder if it can be of any importance that my view is filtered to DVD discs only? (e.g. "Media Type is Video", "Limit database to CD")

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »

Custom columns may contain "non-field" data - it is called Expression Column.

Did you try my suggestions above?  Follow my last screenshot and click "Customize View".

If you do see "Director" in Columns To Show list, try selecting it and click Edit...

If you are able to open an Edit window, then that column is an Expression Column, and you should be able to see what kind of expression is used for that column.  It may be just a simple field (but I bet it is not [Director], or not the same [Director] as the recently added Standard field), or a complicated expression.

On the other hand, if the Director column is really a field, you would get a message box saying "Only expression columns can be edited" when you click Edit...

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »

Anyway I did what you suggested and I cannot edit it - MC says "Only expression columns can be edited"

I told you I did already...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:43 pm »

I told you I did already...

Sorry, my bad  :-[

gappie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 05:09:28 pm »

its a intriguing problem.. would it be an idea to check if it happens with all list field type of fields... when you try to add something to for instance keywords, does the same happen?

:)
gab

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 05:34:13 pm »

I tried "Keywords" and it behaves the same.
I even tried to create a new custom field with Data Type "List (semicolon delimited)" and it all behaves the very same way e.g. while editing I can add new values with "Add New Tag" button, I can see all the newly created values with checkboxes enabled, once I close the Edit window (or exit F2 editing) I can see the values being there (both in Action Window and track list) HOWEVER if I try to edit afterwards (Click to edit in Action Window or F2) the value is empty and the list of checkboxed values is gone...

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 11:55:15 am »

Hmm interesting - I tried to create a brand new Library and guess what? Director, Keywords = all work the way they should!!!
Therefore I assume the core of the problem must be somewhere in my Library...
Any (more) ideas??

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 08:00:34 am »

I did some more experiments (with field Keywords) and this is what I found. The problem seems to be happening only in my CD Database / DVD Database view. When I tried Audio, All Media, Documents - there it works correctly.
I am really confused.

Matt / Jim / anybody: Would you be interested if I send you my Library to check it?

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 11:22:55 am »

Hmm nobody interested??  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up