INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A suggestion for a new feature  (Read 1534 times)

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
A suggestion for a new feature
« on: July 16, 2002, 11:01:56 am »

I just wanted to post this before work on MJ 8 stops, because this is a problem that's been bugging me and other users for a long time, and I just thought of a possible solution.

It's about gapless playback. The Gapless feature in MJ, as we all know, doesn't work exactly as we would expect, and leaves a tiny portion of silence between the tracks. This is impossible to remove, as I've been told.

So to circumvent this problem, I use smooth crossfading with 0.1s duration. It works as expected, but the 0.1s interval is still too large and we can notice a clear "jump" in the beat, especially with fast music, such as techno or trance.

So I though, could it be possible to implement another playback setting, called Real Gapless, Optimal Gapless, or something, that would essentially be smooth crossfading with a very small interval, say 0.01s? This would make a lot of people very happy...

Keep up the great work and I can hardly wait for MJ 9 and MJ Linux ;)
Sérgio Gomes

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:A suggestion for a new feature
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 11:11:05 am »

I Just tested this.

I could not hear a space.

Could It Also Have Something To Do With CPU speed?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 11:14:25 am »

When I use gapless playback with my APE files, it works perfectly.  So I think it's an mp3 problem -- not an MJ problem.

Can anybody else confirm that MJ works as expected for lossless files?

Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 11:25:10 am »

I can confirm it's an MP3 problem...just use Cross-fading with 0.1 duration (as I have for a long, long time) and be happy!  Or, use mp3Trim to trim up your MP3s and see if that helps.

lijil

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 11:29:04 am »

afaik this is a limitation of the mp3 format itself. OGG, MPP, WAV, APE, can all be played seamlessly in gapless mode. I don't know the specifics, but I think it has something to do with splitting on frame boundries (?!). Could the 'remove silence' option be modified to search out this small amount of silence and remove it? (Only in MP3 files)

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 12:09:29 pm »

Yes, it is true it is an MP3 problem, I forgot to mention that. APE's work fine Matt :)

It's just that maybe MJ could make this simple solution for that MP3 problem... Crossfading with 0.1s just isn't good for me. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Anyway, thanks for answering so quickly.
Sérgio Gomes

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 01:50:25 am »

I tried your suggestions and they didn't work... I haven't found a single way to play MP3s without gaps, MJ or something else. It's frustrating... You sure you my suggestion wouldn't work?
Sérgio Gomes

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 03:01:17 am »

Actually, the inability to play gapless is THE biggest issue I have with the MP3 format. MPC and OGG play perfectly gapless, and all lossless formats (obviously) too. As other people have mentioned, it's not a MJ issue, it's a fundamental shortcoming of the MP3 format itself.

I have tried several things, but I never got a solution that I was 100% satisfied with. Crossfading with 0.1 seconds, as ZRocker mentioned, is the best workaround I found, but the result is not 100% satisfactory in all cases. The timing (rhythm) can be slightly wrong with some tracks.

I am forced to use MP3s for my portable player, but I'm eagerly awaiting a player that supports OGGs. Then I can finally drop MP3 as a format for my music altogether.

I don't know if there's anything MJ could do to solve it. Maybe adding 0.01s crossfading could help. Maybe an "experimental" gapless plugin, where the plugin detects and removes silence could help. I don't know, but I would guess that, if there is a good solution for it, it would have been found by now.

Edit: I didn't read you original post thoroughly enough, and snipped some useless explanations.

Sérgio

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 03:20:10 am »

Well, I'm glad someone has the exact same thoughts as me :)

Couldn't login to my account... Maybe it's because I'm using a public PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up