INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging video files - television series episode files  (Read 1533 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Tagging video files - television series episode files
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:44 pm »

I'm trying to figure out the best way to tag television episode files so that they are selectable first by series then by season in theatre view.

I think I have most of the actual tagging figured out.  Use "Series" and "Season" and maybe "Episode" fields, "Media subtype=TV show".  But as far as I'm aware, tags can't be saved in (common) media files like .avi and .mpg, right?  So these tags I've created are only in the library.  I'd like to do the tagging on my desktop PC, in the office with a nice chair, not squatting on the floor in the living room in front of the TV, where I will actually watch these episodes.  So how do I transfer these tags to the library on the living room TV? 

I tried using a Media Server running on the desktop PC and accessed on the living room PC, and that works, but it takes an annoyingly long time to open each file.  If I simply import the Desktop PC video file into the library on the Living Room PC (ignoring tags for the time being) this works much better, even though the file still resides only on the desktop PC. 

There is an "export to xml" option which I can run on the desktop PC, and this does store all the tag information.  But I can't figure out how to import this information into the library on the other PC. 

So I guess my questions are:
1. How do I transfer tag infomration betwen libraries on two different PCs?
2. Is there a recommended structure for tagging TV episode files?
3. Am I completely missing something, and is there an easier way of accomplishing all this?

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging video files - television series episode files
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:02:57 am »

I have my pc in the office set up using the library from the HTPC in the living room.

Just map your drives to your pc in your office then tell MC to watch those folders for changes.

You have to have the computer in the living room on of course.

I do all my tagging in the office.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:52:03 pm »

I have my pc in the office set up using the library from the HTPC in the living room.

I tried this.  When I first added the library from the other PC, it locked up Media Center.  After I'd closed and then reopened it, it says the other library is in use by another user and would hence be opened read-only.  I rebooted both PCs, and still get this message.  Anybody know what's the problem?

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:28:29 pm »

Hi There,

You can only have the library open on one computer at a time otherwise it will open a default library.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:27:06 pm »

You can only have the library open on one computer at a time otherwise it will open a default library.

It wasn't open on the other computer.  Media Center wasn't running.  Like I said, I even rebooted it to make sure.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:59:03 am »

Bump....
Pages: [1]   Go Up