INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Small Can You Go? (here is your htpc box)  (Read 1814 times)

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How Small Can You Go? (here is your htpc box)
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:20:11 pm »

http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Yah, it has a fast Atom single core instead of a slightly-slower A330 dual core, but it looks to be plenty fast and featured enough for an HTPC.  If the built-in audio isn't 'good enough' for you any number of USB adapters should hook up just fine.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: How Small Can You Go? (here is your htpc box)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:56:05 am »

Anyone buy one yet?  Are they cheap.  I'd like to see a box like that for $400 -- like the netbook prices.  I could see replacing my fleet of HTPCs in one fell swoop if they were inexpensive.  What an upgrade!  Tiny, silent??

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:29 pm »

I would be careful not to have an experience like it'll play 1080p thanks to the chip that does the heavy lifting, and for everything else including loading the OS, browsing for files, loading pics, loading your MC-related stuff - it'll take _forever_.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

When I built a HTPC a while back, I basically used the lowest end components I could.  The system can play back 1080i fine.  I'm not sure about 1080p but possibly not.  This was 2 years ago I bet!  I really think with a little effort these tiny boxes can do all a HTPC really needs to do.  But I understand and agree totally.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:38:28 pm »

Which is why I pointed out the single core when a dual core would ahve been a little nicer.

The single core in that machine is nice and cool which is probably why it's there.  It makes for a universal mobo for all kinds of projects and appliances.  But for a gen-purpose machine running a general purpose OS you can't beat the improved stability and responsiveness of a slightly slower dual core over a slightly faster single core.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:54:57 pm »

When I built a HTPC a while back, I basically used the lowest end components I could.  The system can play back 1080i fine.  I'm not sure about 1080p but possibly not.  This was 2 years ago I bet!  I really think with a little effort these tiny boxes can do all a HTPC really needs to do.  But I understand and agree totally.
You could try building one with one of these ...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51866.msg354208#msg354208

Pages: [1]   Go Up