INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio skips while ripping a DVD  (Read 1207 times)

MNTheaterGuy

• Recent member
Audio skips while ripping a DVD
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:30:12 am »

So granted, I AM a newbie at this however, I am hoping womeone can send me in the right direction.
When I am ripping a DVD and have audio playing in JRiver, the Audio skips.
Its almost as though it is starved for CPU.
I have it set to buffer 8 seconds now(was set at 6 before)
PC is new 2.8 GHZ processor with 4 Gig ram
running on win XP Pro x64.
Is this just something I should deal with? obvisouly I wont be playing audio and ripping very often however since I am just setting up I do it all the time.
Any thoughts would be appreciated for a new guy.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Audio skips while ripping a DVD
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »

It could be due to latency in the CD/DVD drivers.  CD/DVD drivers have a reputation for being a little greedy with respect to latency.  Run the DPC Latency Checker while ripping a DVD and see if there are big spikes in latency during the DVD ripping process.  If those spikes go away when the ripping is finished then you can suspect that the latency there is the cause.

There is not a lot you can do about that other than looking to see if your motherboard has updated drivers.  If you're using ASIO you could look to see if your ASIO driver has a setting for additional buffering (buffering outside of what MC does).

I've been wondering if USB connected CD/DVD drives are better behaved about latency?  I don't have a USB drive to test.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »

When I am ripping a DVD and have audio playing in JRiver, the Audio skips.

What exactly do you do when you rip a DVD? For instance, do you use AnyDVD (or a similar program) and MCs internal ripping feature (which simply copies the disc contents to the hard drive) or do you use some other tools. If you use other tools do you just copy uncompressed data to a local older or do you re-encode?

How do you have audio playback set in MC? Do you use sample rate conversion or other CPU intensive DSP features? What is the file format? Are the files stored on a local drive? Are you "ripping" to the same drive? Is MC doing any background tasks, like building thumbnails or analyzing imported audio files?

Its almost as though it is starved for CPU.

What does the Windows Task Manager show?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MNTheaterGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:01:10 pm »

What exactly do you do when you rip a DVD? For instance, do you use AnyDVD (or a similar program) and MCs internal ripping feature (which simply copies the disc contents to the hard drive) or do you use some other tools. If you use other tools do you just copy uncompressed data to a local older or do you re-encode?

How do you have audio playback set in MC? Do you use sample rate conversion or other CPU intensive DSP features? What is the file format? Are the files stored on a local drive? Are you "ripping" to the same drive? Is MC doing any background tasks, like building thumbnails or analyzing imported audio files?

What does the Windows Task Manager show?

I am using the internal MC ripping feature.
I will check on how the audio playback tonight.. It isint in front of me in the office at the moment.
I am ripping to the same drive and MC is only playing audio.
Task Manager shows MC spiking to 28-30% CPU at times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up