INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting songs to sync to iPod  (Read 6610 times)

jimspobox

Selecting songs to sync to iPod
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:24:04 pm »

In my music library on MJ12, how do I go about selecting just some of the songs to sync to the iPod?  I have used iTunes in the past and they have check box next to the list of songs so only the checked ones get synced.  There must be an easy way to do this in MJ12 but can not find it.  In the sync setting, (Tools - Options - Handlheld - Sync List)there is only a check box for "All Audio" and then Playlists.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Selecting songs to sync to iPod
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:01:19 pm »

You can make a playlist or playlists and sync them.

You can also drag and drop to the Action Window after you open the device.

jimspobox

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:12 pm »

Yes, I know about the play list but I was hoping there was a way that individual songs could be synced with the iPod similar to the way iTunes does it by putting a check mark by each song in your list that you want synced.  That would be for all songs whereas the Playlists are for special groupings pf songs.  Any ideas anyone?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:57:42 am »

Read from here down.

Does that help?

I'm not overly familiar with limitations between MC and MJ, but would be surprised if you can't do this with MJ12.
It may seem long-winded, but once setup, it's an absolute breeze to use.

In addition to all that, if you use playlists, and I recommend that you do, and you happen upon tracks that you want sync'd, but don't want the distraction of leaving your current view, opening your iPod manager view scheme, locating those tracks and ticking appropriately, simply remain where you are, select the tracks, right click, send to..., Playlist, then select one of your iPod sync playlists. That adds the tracks to the list, and next time you sync, the tracks will fly too.

-marko.

jimspobox

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:31 am »

Thanks for the info on Playlist but maybe I just did not make it clear what I want to do.  I use Playlists to hold special groupings of songs such as by artist, albums, genre, etc.  I would also like to have "MOST" of the songs in my "Audio" listing of MJ on the iPod as just separate songs, in addition to being in the Playlists.

Also, when I get tired of a song. I would like to un-sync it or add a new song to the Audio listing and sync it to the iPod as a separate song.  For example, in iTunes, all you have to do to sync individual songs to the iPod is to put a check mark by the song and it syncs all the checked songs, in addition to any Playlist you have.

As far as I can tell, in MJ, there seems to an all or nothing approach to syncing "ALL Audio" by putting a check mark in the Options box of the Handheld settings, but you can choose individual Playlist to sync.

Am I missing something on how to sync a partial library of songs in the Audio listing without having to use a Playlist to due this?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:04 am »

Did you read the post I linked to previously?

MJ/MC does not have a 'sync check box' beside every track, so, if you want to use it to manage your iPod, you will need to look for an alternative route.

The steps outlined in my linked post will get you as close as you can get to a 'tick in a box' scenario.

Yes, there is some initial ground work to do in setting it up, but once that's done, using it is simplicity itself.

Yes, it requires that you add one extra playlist to your syncing options for your iPod, and that playlist will appear on your ipod playlist list, but you can ignore it there. Maybe name it beginning with 'Z' so that it's always last in the list?

The point is, that playlist is always synced, and the contents of that playlist are available for selection using normal ipod methods via artist, album, name etc. etc.
When you tire of a track, select that track while in your new ipod manager view scheme and click in the tick box for that playlist to remove it.

As long as your ipod options are to remove files not in the sync list from the ipod, that track will be removed from the ipod next time you sync.

The view scheme also gives you a one-stop shop where you can list everything currently on your ipod and also manipulate what will or will not be there next time you sync.

If you can't envisage the system from reading, follow the steps any way and see how it works. I think you could be happy enough with the results.

-marko.

jimspobox

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 11:35:54 am »

Thanks Marko.  I didn't see your link when I first read it, but after reading it, it gave me some good ideas.  I wound up using a user customized field called "iPod" and putting it at the beginning of the field in the Library.  I then used the Smartlist feature to add any track to the Smartlist that has a "Y" in the iPod field.  So basically I now have it just like what is done in iTunes and it is now very easy to see this new filed all the time and keep the songs I want synced.

Thanks again for you help and quick response.  I'll have another question coming soon I hope you can help with but that will be a new thread.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up