INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: podcasts - how to stop MC from deleting?  (Read 1938 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
podcasts - how to stop MC from deleting?
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:41 pm »

This is driving me crazy. MC keeps deleting a bunch (500 MB) of my podcasts, presumably because I am low on disk space (2GB free of 700GB).

I have restored the deleted podacsts a dozen times now and have fiddled with the options without success. I currently have set the option "Delete when all episodes exceed" to 9000 GB (ie infinity). And I have cleared the option "Delete only when max disk space exceeded".

A podcast to me is just like an audiobook. When I decide to keep it I want to keep it forever.

What are the options I need to set such that MC never ever deletes a podcast for any reason?

rjm

Re: podcasts - how to stop MC from deleting?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:52:51 am »

I thought I'd try to out smart MC by not setting Media Sub Type to podcast after I restored the deleted podcasts but MC still deleted them.

What tags do I need to edit such that MC will not delete my podcasts?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »

Have you set Keep All Episodes in the podcast feed properties?  What about setting Episode Status to Keep forever?  You have Keep Orphan Episodes set to All Episodes?

Does this happen to all podcasts or just certain podcasts?

rjm

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:54:10 pm »

Thanks kindly for your help.

I subscribe to 25 podcasts. MC is only deleting a subset (34 episodes, 500 MB) of one of them, however it is one of my larger ones with a total of 195 episodes (3.2 GB).

Sorry, I should have specified all my options. I have set Keep all Episodes in feed, and Keep All Orphan Episodes.

I did not change Episode Status from Orphan to Keep Forever because I thought the other settings were sufficient. Perhaps there is a bug in my understanding of how it should work, or a bug in MC's handling of these options?

Upon restoring the deleted podcasts and reimporting them, I notice that it is not possible to edit the Episode Status. It looks like the podcast changed it's feed URL a year or so ago, and the podcasts being deleted have the old feed.

Any ideas?

rjm

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:03:59 am »

I tried again to out smart MC without success. This time I restored the deleted podcasts to a different directory hoping that MC would only delete podcasts if they were in their default directory. MC promptly deleted them.

My guess is that MC uses some logic associated with the feed URL to delete old podcasts. And because these podcasts have an old feed that is no longer valid, MC's logic for preserving episodes does not work.

I tried to edit the feed URL however this field cannot be edited with MC.

I then tried to remove the feed URL tag with a 3rd party mp3 tagging tool but the tool I am using does not recognize the feed URL tag.

I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions would be welcome.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:24:26 am »

So the feed URL is gone?

Are the files gone immediately?  Or can you select the "keep forever" option?

rjm

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:29 am »

The feed URL field is populated with an old and no longer used url. I was unable to clear this field with a 3rd party tag editing tool. (Maybe I need to look for a different tagging tool?)

MC will not permit me to edit the Episode Status field (ie clicking on it does nothing and it stays at its Orphan status). I can edit the Episode Status field for other podcasts.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 11:52:11 am »

I'm not referring to the url in your files.  The url associated with the podcast has changed, right?  The old one no longer exists?

Can you send a library backup to tom at jriver d ot com?

rjm

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:08:36 pm »

Yes the feed url was changed a while ago. When I enter the old url in my browser I get a page not found error from the host site.

My library is huge so I will have to make a copy and delete other files before sending to you. May not have time to do this for a day or two.

Thanks for your help.

rjm

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 02:34:45 am »

Just closing the loop to let you know I've decided to forget about this problem. It seems to be related to having podcasts with an old feed and therefore most people won't ever see it. To stop them from being deleted I removed the files from my library and blocked them from being re-imported.
Pages: [1]   Go Up