INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze replay gain problems  (Read 1494 times)

jmcarney

• Recent member
Analyze replay gain problems
« on: July 15, 2002, 07:46:23 pm »

First off, I think that analyze replay gain should be a context menu item instead of a tool on properties.

But regardles of that, analyze replay gain seems buggy. It seems to work OK for a small number of files, but if you try to analyze a large number of files (anywhere from 50 to 1000 or more) it starts to screw up.

1) Often it will mark files with "error" after analysis for no readily apparent reason. If you shut down Media Jukebox and re-analyze "problem" files it will sometimes work. Sometimes rebooting your system is necessary before it will agree to process particular files. The files in question are neither read-only nor in-use by any application (I've checked this).

2) Things will proceed OK for a while, then all of a sudden Media Jukebox will start hemorrhaging memory - chewing anywhere up to 1Gb of virtual memory. This takes a while to appear.

3) It will process a bunch of files, then skip most of the rest . This particularly happens after a memory leak incident.
Cheers,
John Carney.

Tinitus

RE:Analyze replay gain problems
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 05:15:49 am »

>>First off, I think that analyze replay gain should be a context menu item instead of a tool on properties.

Well I don’t know... how many people do u think is going to use that?

>>1) Often it will mark files with "error" after analysis for no readily apparent reason. If you shut down Media Jukebox and re-analyze "problem" files it will sometimes work. Sometimes rebooting your system is necessary before it will agree to process particular files. The files in question are neither read-only nor in-use by any application (I've checked this).

I tried with 50, 100 and then 200 I don’t get any problems except for the "error" thing.
Tried going back to reanalyze but MJ just say the "error" files is queued (didn’t try to restart MJ)!?

>>2) Things will proceed OK for a while, then all of a sudden Media Jukebox will start hemorrhaging memory - chewing anywhere up to 1Gb of virtual memory. This takes a while to appear.

I tried with my entire collection which is about 3000 files most of them mp3.
MJ process grows to about 18,5K and the page file to about 280MB (close to normal) and then levels out with no further increase in memory usage.

- correction after about 1000 tracks MJ and the pagefile starts to grow close to explosion.

jmc - Do you find that replay gain works better when u preanalyze the files?
The reason I'm asking is that I'm not particularly impressed with the way it handles (replay gain) on my "unanalyzed" files, often with some strange distortion in the beginning of the track. I just don’t use it.

jmcarney

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 11:43:33 pm »

>> First off, I think that analyze replay gain should be a context
>> menu item instead of a tool on properties.

> Well I don’t know... how many people do u think is going to use
> that?

Sounds like what the Apple Macintosh designers said about two-button mice ;)

> correction after about 1000 tracks MJ and the pagefile starts to
> grow close to explosion.

I had it happen to me today after about 70 tracks. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to *when* it melts down.
Cheers,
John Carney.

Tinitus

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 12:44:19 am »

>> First off, I think that analyze replay gain should be a context
>> menu item instead of a tool on properties.
>> Well I don’t know... how many people do u think is going to use
>> that?

>>Sounds like what the Apple Macintosh designers said about two->>button mice ;)
*LOL* - well who can argue with that kind of wisdom

jmcarney - Do you find that replay gain works better when u preanalyze the files?
The reason I'm asking is that I'm not particularly impressed with the way it handles (replay gain) on my "unanalyzed" files, often with some strange distortion in the beginning of the track. I just don’t use it.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 10:01:20 am »

First, I've seeen the same problems but I can't seem to reproduce now.

Second, I agree with the context menu approach.

Third, there's no point in using replay gain if you don't pre-analyze the files.  The default radio gain for an unanalyzed file is 0.0.  The default global adjustment is |PLS|8.0.   This means unanalyzed files are playing at a |PLS|8.0 level which probably explains the distortion.  

Most people find the 0.0 default to be a problem but there's no way to set it to something more reasonable right now.  Most of my music analyzes to somewhere between -14.0 and -7.0 so I'd love to have a default of around a -10.0.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Henrik L

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 02:11:32 pm »

"....so I'd love to have a default of around a -10.0."

Hey, that's a great Idea, or make it user selectble!
(should this be in the "Wish List" page?)

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 02:33:26 pm »

I really fell that 'replay gain' is a feature  that MJ needs to speak about loudly and to put it in the main frame ,not hidden as it is now.

The fact to be able to play my songs without jumping cause one song is quiet and the next one screams is a very big plus

But,unlike trim,i can keep the file in his original form and play the original file ,without 'replay gain',if i play a full album and want to have the original sound level of the cd,and burn an album in his original form

So,i say that this is one of the greatest things in MJ.
I would have pay for such a program if MJ not having it.Only this is worth the $25 for me

joe mama

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 05:26:43 pm »

I've been using the Replay Gain feature on my files the last couple of days, and it has been crashing quite a lot.  It almost always crashes after analyzing about 8 or 10 MPC files, but doesn't seem to have any problems analyzing APE, OGG or MP3.

Also, a previous post in this thread mentioned pre-analyzing files.  How is that done?
Pages: [1]   Go Up