INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 13 on Windows 7 Build (71xx) and Portable Devices...  (Read 1573 times)

Draiko

• Recent member
MC 13 on Windows 7 Build (71xx) and Portable Devices...
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:03:28 am »

Here is an issue that I have recently come across and is also present with the latest build of MC... 0.170:

Fresh install of Windows 7 (build 7100).. ISO file name:
7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso from microsoft.com <-- this is the latest RC

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM:

- start mc
- click on drives & devices
- wait until mc scans the connected drives
- find your portable device (usually it's the one that has the ipod icon)
- click on this device and MC will indicate that it's working: it's refreshing the device to read the contents
- verify that all files are present (artist and album categories)
- select a file and press play (you can also double click)

MC gives an error indicating that "the media cannot be played on this portable device"... trying to establish a re-sync will not work. It re-syncs no problem but it will not play the media files..

NOW VERIFY THE FOLLOWING:
- under Drives and Devices, click My Computer
- when expanded, locate your portable device
- click on the portable and browse to the location of the media files eg. music
- select an artist folder of any kind until you see the media files on the main MC window
- select a file to play and double click

VOILA! MC plays the media file(s) just fine...  ?

This is on a fresh build of Windows 7 and MC 3.0.170.. the results are the same with 0.166 and 0.169

This behavior does not exist on Windows XP Pro SP2...

My guess is that Windows 7 is not allowing direct access to the mapped portable device.

All settings are left un-touched.. If you go to Hand held Settings, the portable device is detected..

After reading a suggestion from another tester on Windows 7, changing the output from Direct and Waveout to ASIO4ALL did not resolve the issue..

This looks to be a conflict between Windows 7 and MC..

Thanks for reading and post your findings please..

Draiko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 13 on Windows 7 Build (71xx) and Portable Devices...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:17:53 am »

What is the device? 

As Matt said, not all devices work for playback.  Even a single device often has two modes, one which will work and another which won't.  The one that won't is the Microsoft mode called MTP or similar.  Take a look at settings for the device.  This does not apply to any of the iPods.

Draiko

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:39:23 am »

What is the device? 

As Matt said, not all devices work for playback.  Even a single device often has two modes, one which will work and another which won't.  The one that won't is the Microsoft mode called MTP or similar.  Take a look at settings for the device.  This does not apply to any of the iPods.

The device I have been using is the Blackberry BOLD 9000. When MC first detects the device, it will detect the internal 1GB of memory and then the 8GB which is the microSD card with drive letters respectively.

The thing that confuses me is that this does not happen with an XP machine. Only Windows 7. I can play media files directly from the device with-in MC so I know that what you are refering to with regards to 2 modes does not apply here...

Perhaps this is a change in the way Windows 7 handles certain apps ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:48 pm »

It's possible your device appears to the system as both a WMDM device AND a drive.  If Media Center talks to it using WMDM, it won't be able to play from it.  But if you browsed to it in the My Computer tree, you would be able to play from the drive portion.

When you look at the files in the device view, do the filenames look like virtual paths (i.e. My Device\Music\1.mp3) or a real system path (i.e. F:\Music\1.mp3)?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Draiko

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:58 am »

It's possible your device appears to the system as both a WMDM device AND a drive.  If Media Center talks to it using WMDM, it won't be able to play from it.  But if you browsed to it in the My Computer tree, you would be able to play from the drive portion.

When you look at the files in the device view, do the filenames look like virtual paths (i.e. My Device\Music\1.mp3) or a real system path (i.e. F:\Music\1.mp3)?

Thanks.

Well, why would MC talk to this device as WMDM when it clearly doesn't in XP? Yes, I realize this is a Beta Release of Windows 7 but this is a simple function that is not working.

As for how the files look in the device view here are the results from BOTH views (Device and from My Computer):

Device:
- no drive listings... MC detects the drive as RIM Blackberry SD (J:)
- all files are listed on the main window.. eg. i can see the files in row and columns view

Under My Computer:
- 2 listings show up (the BOLD has an internal 1Gb of memory) (I:) and (J:)
- under J:, there is a Music folder and then subfolders
- at no time does it ever show J:\Music\Prince\When Doves Cry.mp3, just a listing of Artist and Album views

Personally, I careless about Windows 7 but if MC is failing to work just from a simple play function from the detected device, then I suggest you take a closer look...

Draiko
Pages: [1]   Go Up