INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling MC12 with Netbook?  (Read 4372 times)

burre

• Recent member
Controlling MC12 with Netbook?
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:50:00 am »

Hi,

I've been searcing around a lot, but can't seem to find a good answer to if my "idea" will work..

In my liingroom I have a Stereo with a Desktop PC as the source. the PC is across the room from the Stereo.
As of now, I am controlling MC12 with rivermote, but I want more functionality, preferably a mirror of the full media center, identical to the one on the desktop/client. For controlling this, I am considering a convertible netbook, like the Asus T91.

The Desktop is also mostly in use for webbrowsing while I listen to music, so I need a solution that does not change the acive window or disturb in other ways.
Oh, and my Desktop is running windows XP.

Any ideas/suggestions? examples of similar solutions?

(pardon my english please, not my native language)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Controlling MC12 with Netbook?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:21:27 am »

Your English is fine.   Please don't apologize.

Our best solution for your remote control is to use Theater View in MC13, and a remote control.

Here's a link about Television on our wiki.  It also applies to playback of music and video.

You can upgrade for $22.98, but make sure you get 13.0.170 or higher because it delivers an MC14 license that works with MC13 or MC14.

Other choices are on our Third Party plug-in board:

HTTP something
xpTunes
Netremote (from Promixis)
MusicLobby (from CinemarOnline)

burre

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:55:26 pm »

Hi JimH, and thanks for your reply. :)

I had a look at the theater view, but if I understand correctly, this would require that the dsktop screen is visible from listening position,and not occupied by others, which makes it not usable for me, as I cannot see the desktop screen from where I am sitting when listening to music.

I have a license on Netremote which I used with a PDA, but found it quite hard to set up to run smoothly. (including setup for audiolense roomcorrection etc.)

But I'll have a look at the other two, thanks :)

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 03:41:42 pm »

I use remote desktop to connect to the pc running media center under a seperate user account. This works really well. On a small screen be sure to look at the dropdown panes option in mc...saves a lot of screen space.
For using remote desktop see for example:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

Although best would be of course if a future version of mc lets us control mc instances on different pc's directly or even just sync them using zones would do the job ;)

peter

burre

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:25:07 am »

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!! to the J.river team, as this is now working in MC15. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up