INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture collections  (Read 1182 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
Picture collections
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:44:16 am »

Is anybody out there a picture collector? As in building collections of pics shot by other people - events, celebrities, nature, etc - from the forums, from picture agencies, other sources?

I am fishing for ideas here because I can't seem to win against this one. I would aim mainly for having info in fields like People, Events, Date, Places. In the most simple format - People is one name, group shots are not considered for this; Date can be in any possible format as long as it translates into month-day-year in any form.

Problem: there is no cohesion. There are no 2 sources that will have - consistently - same EXIF/IPTC information in the same place, or a file naming scheme that would allow a Filename to tags conversion. Every forum is different, so are the agencies, and that is when the filenames don't get bastardized completely by various image hosts and the likes.

Do you have any digital workflow either from within or around MC, that will help at any degree with this problem? Automatic tools renamers upon downloading, mind-reading application (hehe!), regex, dealing with picture tags a certain way in MC, anything...!? Any ideas that could alleviate the problem of proper naming / proper tags for pics. I'm talking numbers of pics in 5 digits but would gladly settle for small improvements, in small increments.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Picture collections
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:39:51 am »

I have an art collection (classical and digital) and an image library (ie photos taken by other people).

Neither are completely organised... in fact I haven't touched them for well over a year or so :P As you say, if you get things from different sources, there is no standard way of naming or tagging.

For art, all I've really tagged is artist, although I was planning on using three genre fields to organise it all a bit better (probably more by 'periods' of art). Some art collections are labeled simply using the [Album] field.

Images are still a WIP. I used to use three genre fields, then I started nesting them into one field, but I never got around to finishing it.

In short, I haven't found any magic way to easily tag what you have. It has to be done painstakingly and manually. And it takes a lot of time :P Maybe one day when image fingerprinting is something that is commonplace we'll be able to to do online lookups or something. Until then....

I have some pictures of my library here & here
Pages: [1]   Go Up