INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Special ended  (Read 5535 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Special ended
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:22 am »

Please see this topic on the wiki:  

Special Prices:  http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Special

NOTE:  You must have MC13.0.171 or higher installed to get the special pricing.

If you have a question or a problem, please see one of these threads: Problems with pricing or Problems with licensing

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Special pricing through Sunday, May 31, 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:26:50 am »

In answer to a few questions....

When?
Early versions of MC14 won't be available for a few months.

How much?
MC14 -- new license -- $49.98
MC14 -- upgrade  -- $24.98
-- Prices may change at any time.

How to upgrade?
MJ8, MC9 through MC13 can be upgraded at the discounted price.  One of these must be installed and licensed in order to get the upgrade price.  Upgrading results in a full license, same as a new license.

What should I buy now?
Beginning with MC13.0.170, new purchasers of MC13 will receive an MC14 license.

Why now?
For business reasons, we don't have complete discretion on when to break from one version to another.  It typically happens about once a year.  This time, it went from August 8, 2008 to May 21, 2009 -- almost 10 months.  The one before was a little more than a year.

What about my recent purchase of MC13?
Thanks for your purchase.  We appreciate it.  

When you purchase early in the cycle, your license is good for a longer period.  When you purchase later in the cycle, you get a more mature program.  Neither is perfect.

We hope you understand that we have to decide when to switch.  We try to provide a buffer of several months where purchasers of the old version actually get a license for the new one.  This began yesterday with the availability MC13.0.170.  It uses an MC14 license, but also works with an MC13 license.  

When MC14 is first available, in a month or so, early versions will work with an MC13 license.  We will offer special pricing again on an MC14 license at that time.

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

hi,

according to what I understand, upgrade from a licensed mc12 to mc13.0.171 shoud be 25$ on this thread...
20$ on another thread.. . but I when trying to buy I get a price of 35$

please help,
Shay

JimH

• Administrator

It sounds like you don't have MC12 licensed or that you aren't using the 171 build of MC13.

Please read the first link in the first post here carefully.  You should see a $19.98 price if you've done the above.

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

well,
I installed 13.0.171 and MC12 with license.
the strange thing is that when I installed the MC13, the MC12 license got lost and I had to restore it.

boozercruiser

• Recent member

:( Ah well, as sods law would have it I only purchased my paid for JRiver Version 12 for upgrade to version 13 five days ago on Thursday 21st May 2009.
While I am not bothered about the reduction in price as that can happen, I am more disappointed that I have missed out on the new key for Version 14.

Obviously the trick is to not purchase version 14 any time soon but to wait around a year now, when presumably I will receive an e. mail offering me version 14 together with the key to version 15.

One lives and learns doesn't one! ;D

P.S. I just love the JRiver Media Center though. Well worth it under any circumstances. ;)

pawinter

• Recent member

So this means if you re-purchase MC13 now you will save about $5 over waiting and buying the upgrade to MC14 later?  There better be something really compelling in MC14.  Currently I only use MC13 for playing my library and ripping a few disks.  Does MC13/14 claim to do TV better than Microsoft Windows Media Center?

krupted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

well, i guess its not a terrible back-door way of getting mc14.  i thought the free 14 license was with a "NEW" mc13 purchase only, not an upgrade.    in a way, its dumb to re-buy what you have already paid for, but at the same time if it gets you 14 for free it also gives you another valid set of installs for 13.    i think its going to be at least 9 months before any type of realistically usable version of 14 is out... and i think i spent $15 to upgrade to 13 from 12 at the time... so basically it would be $35 for 3 copies of MC, two keys for one version and one key for the new.    

im still thinking about it though... i have till sunday to decide i guess.   if the built-in mp3 tagging wasn't so good in JRmc it would be a lot easier to go with a free alternative.

JimH

• Administrator

So this means if you re-purchase MC13 now you will save about $5 over waiting and buying the upgrade to MC14 later?  There better be something really compelling in MC14.  Currently I only use MC13 for playing my library and ripping a few disks.  Does MC13/14 claim to do TV better than Microsoft Windows Media Center?
You can try MC13 for 30 days and decide for yourself.

We will run another special offer when MC14 beta is available, so don't worry now about the $5.

boozercruiser

• Recent member

You can try MC13 for 30 days and decide for yourself.

We will run another special offer when MC14 beta is available, so don't worry now about the $5.

Yes, all well and good. But will this offer include the Version 15 key? ;)

If it does. Count me in :) If it does not. Count me out! ;D

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Special pricing through Sunday, May 31, 2009 -- Questions? Ask here
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:19:26 pm »

Jim,

If we want to go ahead and buy the MC14 license now, how do we do it if we already have a licensed version of MC13 on the system, and therefore no longer have a "purchase license" option?

Thanks,

Larry

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »

I'll upgrade but am asking the same as previously asked.  I've already licensed v13.

Hats off to the JRiver team once more!  I just checked out .171--it's been an unusually long time since I've installed an update--and the new theater features are breathtaking!  You all keep pushing MC forward and that does not make me a sad panda.

sindisciple

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:24 am »

Hey so, I'm not sure if this is who I would contact for this question, but I'm sure you can help point me in the right direction if not.
I very recently (within 2 weeks) purchased an MC13 license, and was wondering, if I may qualify for an MC14beta license.... you know, the free one. I would be greatly saddened if I had to purchase another license after having already spent 50 dollars for what is now 14 dollars including a beta key....

Any ideas?

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:53 am »

Hi,

I want to buy 13 (inc 14) on this special offer Sunday. Can you tell me what times that will be between for GMT?

Regards

Vic

Sunny UK :)

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:27:44 am »

Sorry, did I miss read the offer? Can I get the special price and MC14 now or do I need to wait until Sunday?

Waiting to buy!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:43:09 am »

Sorry, did I miss read the offer? Can I get the special price and MC14 now or do I need to wait until Sunday?
It's in the first post.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 07:17:28 am »

Jim -- I have 171 installed, but I'm still not clear how to purchase the 14 upgrade (13 is already licensed on my system.)  How do I "re-purchase" a "new" MC13/14 license (using 171) on this system?  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Larry

Homer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 05:15:57 pm »

Will MJ12 upgrade to MC13 with a MJ8 mjr file?

I have a license for MJ8 but my PC crashed so I no longer have it installed. As I search around for MJ8 I only find MJ12. Since MJ12 is now free there's no way to apply my MJ8 mjr file. In order to upgrade to MC 13 I have installed MJ12 and dropped my MJ8 mjr file in the subdirectory.

Will the MC13 install recognize my license of MJ8?

221bBS

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 06:59:16 pm »

Will MJ12 upgrade to MC13 with a MJ8 mjr file?

I have a license for MJ8 but my PC crashed so I no longer have it installed. As I search around for MJ8 I only find MJ12. Since MJ12 is now free there's no way to apply my MJ8 mjr file. In order to upgrade to MC 13 I have installed MJ12 and dropped my MJ8 mjr file in the subdirectory.

Will the MC13 install recognize my license of MJ8?

MJ12 is a free software and does not qualify for special upgrade pricing. I would do the following, install MJ8, restore your license for it, install MC 13.0.171 and you should see if you qualify for an upgrade price.

221bBS

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »

Jim -- I have 171 installed, but I'm still not clear how to purchase the 14 upgrade (13 is already licensed on my system.)  How do I "re-purchase" a "new" MC13/14 license (using 171) on this system?  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Larry

I've heard someone uninstall 13 completely (not your library), install 12 and restore their license for it, then install 13.0.171 to get the upgrade window. But I would suggest that you wait until 14 (beta) comes out. Jim already stated they will give special pricing again. They always have done this in the past  ;)

Homer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 07:19:13 pm »

MJ12 is a free software and does not qualify for special upgrade pricing. I would do the following, install MJ8, restore your license for it, install MC 13.0.171 and you should see if you qualify for an upgrade price.

Thank you 221bbs. Now, where do I find the download for MJ8? Every link I trace for MJ8 is broken and I can't seem to find it amongst the JRiver downloads.

Homer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 07:47:39 pm »

Now, where do I find the download for MJ8?

SOLVED - I finally found a download for MJ8, have restored my license successfully, and am now ready to upgrade to MC13. Whew, that was much harder than it needed to be. I appreciate the work that the JRiver Dev team have put into the subsequent releases of MJ but come on, you always make it as EASY as possible for people to upgrade. There should be a clear list of older versions to download.

I found a clean download here:
http://download.chip.eu/en/Media-Jukebox-8.0.400_76134.html

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:11 pm »

I've heard someone uninstall 13 completely (not your library), install 12 and restore their license for it, then install 13.0.171 to get the upgrade window.

It makes sense that that would work, but the hope was to be able to do this without the uninstall/reinstall hassle.

But I would suggest that you wait until 14 (beta) comes out. Jim already stated they will give special pricing again. They always have done this in the past  ;)

I was just trying to support the MC team sooner rather than later by buying it now.  The thing I don't understand at this point is why nobody from JR has responded to the question, which has been asked by at least two users other than myself in two threads.  Other "upgrade" questions have been answered -- why not this one?  We're trying to support JR by buying the software -- can this be done without uninstalling/reinstalling?

Larry

221bBS

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 08:29:08 pm »

It makes sense that that would work, but the hope was to be able to do this without the uninstall/reinstall hassle.

I was just trying to support the MC team sooner rather than later by buying it now.  The thing I don't understand at this point is why nobody from JR has responded to the question, which has been asked by at least two users other than myself in two threads.  Other "upgrade" questions have been answered -- why not this one?  We're trying to support JR by buying the software -- can this be done without uninstalling/reinstalling?

Larry

JimH answers your question here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52112.msg355779#msg355779

Homer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »

What is this error from Paypal mean: Sorry - your last action could not be completed.

I'm trying to purchase the upgrade from MJ8 to MC13. I filled out the upgrade form, choose Paypal, click the button, and receive the error. How do I get past this? Is there something in the form that doesn't match my Paypal account?

What gives?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 08:46:12 pm »

JimH answers your question here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52112.msg355779#msg355779

Thanks -- I was not following that thread since it is called "Problems with pricing," which does not apply to me.  Note that I had no "problems" or "complaints" about the current situation -- I was just trying to understand it.

For the other users who asked the same question in this and the other thread, Jim said that currently registered MC13 users "can't" upgrade to the MC13/14 license, and that they don't "need" to since another MC14 special price will be offered later.  Technically they probably actually could do it now by installing MC13.0.171 on a new system and purchasing a new license, but the general idea is that these "currently registered" users are basically supposed to just wait until MC14 is out (as suggested above) and just buy it then when another "special" is offered.  This is fine with me -- I was simply trying to help out by buying it now.

Thanks again,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:26 pm »

What is this error from Paypal mean: Sorry - your last action could not be completed.
Paypal sometimes has errors.  See the "Purchase" link above and in the details, you'll find an answer.  Post here if you can't find it.

tomjhouston

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 02:30:46 pm »

I paid for version 13 upgrade on May 21st. Does this enable me to get the free upgrade to V 14 that is part of this offer that i received an email about?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 08:32:35 am »

I paid for version 13 upgrade on May 21st. Does this enable me to get the free upgrade to V 14 that is part of this offer that i received an email about?

I doubt it. I have asked that question about 8 times and no one will answer me directly. I too purchased at around 8PM on May 21 immediately after reading JimH's comments at the top of page 2 in the V14 Discussion thread - that clearly stated that brand new V13 purchases get a V14 license.

However - I did not have version 170 installed when I purchased - so I take the "silence" to my emails and threads on here as a No - I do not qualify.

No matter. I think the application is outstanding and I am willing to purchase an upgrade to v14 if/when it becomes available.

tomjhouston

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 04:42:28 pm »

It would be nice to get an answer for this. My Credit Card wasn't charged until the 22nd and the offer came just a few days after that.

bigk29

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:04 am »

I agree,

I also just purchased the version MC13 for the first time in Mid May.  I would expect to see the free upgrade to version 14...since the lifecycle of version 13 is ending. If you know are coming out with a new product, at the very least, they should let us know that this new deal is coming...and if we are interested we should wait to purchase(I would have).  As a new customer, how they deal with these types of situations is critical to my support of the product.  Regardless of how good the product may be, customer service is still #1. 

I hope to hear what how they are going to help new customers that bought outside of there 'special'.

Thanks

Vocalpoint

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 12:57:02 pm »

If you know are coming out with a new product, at the very least, they should let us know that this new deal is coming...

JimH stated quite clearly that new MC13 purchasers would get a v14 license in the "V14 discussion" thread. In my case - I was running 13.0.169 - NOT 170 and completed my purchase mere minutes after reading this thread. My Visa was charged on May 22 as well...but it looks as tho I am SOL. No response from anyone on this - seems that I pulled the trigger at about the worst time possible. No biggie tho....I am still finding my way around the current version of v13 and I am really liking the product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up