INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where we go next [old thread from May, 2009, now locked]  (Read 24341 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Where we go next [old thread from May, 2009, now locked]
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:24:35 pm »

We're thinking about major directions for MC 14, and we could use your help.

There are some obvious ones -- better movie metadata, polishing, DJ tools, etc.  These will happen.

What's more challenging is to find a big new direction.  Here are some of the ones we're thinking about.  Please add your own.

1.  Whole house media network

2.  One remote

3.  Synapse (a media PC)

4.  Open the MC database to a coalition of software companies -- RockBox, foobar, MP3 tagger, dbPowerAmp, Zoom Player, etc.

5.  Database as a hub for developers (similar to #4, but oriented more toward individual developers.

6.  MC Market -- a list of vendors who provide add-ons and a way for them to get paid with MC one click

7.  Contacts and other amorphous information organization -- may need to be done as a new program

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Where we go next
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »

I like #s 1 & 2. Depending on what you mean by one remote.

I also like the idea of finishing/polishing what we already have.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »

Here's a crude answer:
One remote  

It's our domain.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:58:42 pm »

1. Theatre view must be opened up for third party plugins.
There's so much that could be done, but at present this isn't happening. With any luck, you'll find that this also has the knockon effect of attracting more customers. Add in the ability to have free or paid for addons to this, and I think that MC could easily be built into one of the premier HTPC frontends.

2. Your #1 is a good idea, but needs considerable work from the current form. In essence, you need true multi-user access to the database, as opposed to one user opening it and the rest being read only.

3. I'm still looking for multiple images per file ;) (I could really, really do with the ability to add the poster and DVD cover for movies, and the episode thumbnail and DVD cover for TV episodes)

4. Finally, the pet wish of many of us- A relational database. As you're adding more ways to display & use metadata, it becomes more and more important to have some degree of relativity, however basic.

5. Opening the DB (Your #4/ #5) is an idea, but one I'd personally approach with caution. By all means provide ways of accessing it better (UPNP improvements?), but by opening full access you risk losing your best selling point. I'd much rather see you improve the DB you have to maintain its best in class status than open it to others and risk dilution of your ideas.

6. One Remote? No thanks :) Again I fear dilution here- Focus on what you do best, not on iffy hardware developments. Building your own Ajax based web control system would be nice, and I'm sure would have plenty of supporters, but there are third party plugins that do this already.

Cheers

-Leezer-

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »

For me:

1.  Whole house media network  -- Very important, however this MUST include multi-client editing

4.  Open the MC database to a coalition of software companies -- RockBox, foobar, MP3 tagger, dbPowerAmp, Zoom Player, etc. Sounds like a great idea, though I'd like to know more about what you're thinking in this regard. If you open the DB, will it mean people wont use MC if they can get a free player?

5.  Database as a hub for developers (similar to #4, but oriented more toward individual developers). Sounds good, again, I'd like to know more.

6.  MC Market -- a list of vendors who provide add-ons and a way for them to get paid with MC one click I'd say this is a must in the current climate. iTunes Store, AppStore, Microsoft Market Place... it's where everyone is going...

7.  Contacts and other amorphous information organization -- may need to be done as a new program I like it. It should interface with MC however for a seamless environment.

Regarding Leezer's points...

1. Theatre view must be opened up for third party plugins. This is imperative. I agree that it will likely attract customers. Hopefully vendors too... I have a Xonar soundcard that comes with an MCE plugin, I'd love for it to be able to work under MC as well (even via an MCE plugin wrapper)

3. I'm still looking for multiple images per file This sounds like a common and reasonable request.

4. Finally, the pet wish of many of us- A relational database I'm keen on this so long as the performance and overall functionality are maintained.

You dont mention linux or Mac... I know you've gone away from MS based controls, but are still heavily reliant on directX - where does that position you in terms of cross platform? Is it something you are even considering?

I'd like to see:

1. More TouchScreen support. My wife just got a HP TouchSmart TX2, and while MC Theater View can function on it, it is by no means a nice system - I will post more on that this weekend. The included software is much nicer to use than MC on the touch screen.

2. Intelligent multi-display support. I've posted on this before, and I know you've seen it ;) This can tie in with the touch screen support for touch based HTPC boxes.

3. A more flexible Theater View skinning system. While MC allows some flexibility in it's Theater View skins, it does not allow anywhere near the complete look and feel changes that other skinning engines can. (I cannot comment on their ease of skinning however). Note that I am not suggesting changes to the navigation system as such.

4. Vendor engagement. I'd love to see MC shipping with hardware/software. It'd be ideal for certain editing apps as a library manager for them, and there's more HTPC stuff going out, why not try and get MC bundled with some of the better systems?

5. Device support. I think you really have to get the iPhone support happening - even if it's via iTunes. A library sync to iTunes would be a great start. the new Zune's on the way .. let see if anything's possible with that. Ultimately, managing a media library is wonderful, but if you cant get it onto the devices you want, pointless.

6. Performer MC and MC  = one product.

C.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:51 pm »

I agree with everything confishy has to say. Every point.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:55:22 pm »

Thanks for asking for our input Jim.

I really can't add much to what Leezer3 and confishy have already said, there are lots of  things I'd like in added/fixed in MC14 but I'll leave all that to another thread as this is the bigger picture items.

The whole home media network (although this needs more clarification) is a biggie for me, along with a multi-user database (with security control!) and PMC/MC integration.

I also wonder if MC is too complicated for the "normal" user out there and is aimed too musch at "power users".  I don't consider mysef a "normal" MC user any more (and not a real "MC power user" either)  but I know when I've shown friends MC they find it all quite confusing.  Could having  Novice/Advanced modes be an option?... might make it less daunting for new users but all the power is still there under the hood if/when wanted.

I guess the big question is what will people be looking for over the next year or two, of course if we all knew this... well I wouldn't be sitting here at my computer in my office.... my computer (with MC of couse) would be sitting with me on a large cruiser somewhere warm and nice!

Richard

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 11:20:13 pm »

a.  Blu-ray

4.  Open the MC database to a coalition of software companies -- RockBox, foobar, MP3 tagger, dbPowerAmp, Zoom Player, etc.

3.  Synapse (a media PC)

2.  One remote

x.  Bundled CODECS so videos can play well without having to tinker with add ons (there is probably a cost, would be willing to pay extra for this feature)

y. iPhone/iTouch support - driving through iTunes as sync engine is acceptable

Marty3d

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:52:23 am »

* More mobile interaction. More and more uses their cell phones for stuff, playing your library on your hpone could be nice for example
* True multi-user
* Relational db (I've mentioned motivation for this so many times, I won't go there again)
* Good streaming of video (MS has done LAN version for a while, apparently WAN:ed it W7, I thought you'd be there ages ago), a part of the media house thing?
* Expanding and perfecting Theater View!!!

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 04:06:06 am »

What does this mean?

2.  One remote

3.  Synapse (a media PC)

4.  Open the MC database to a coalition of software companies -- RockBox, foobar, MP3 tagger, dbPowerAmp, Zoom Player, etc.

5.  Database as a hub for developers (similar to #4, but oriented more toward individual developers.

6.  MC Market -- a list of vendors who provide add-ons and a way for them to get paid with MC one click

Today Xbox announced a content partnership with SkyTV for simulcast TV broadcast. BBC iPlayer works on Nintendo wii. AppleTV has itunes on it. There are popular open source solutions that can be installed onto games consoles or extend Windows Media Center functionally.
I feel the circle closing around JRiver MC. All the other MC software out there is bundled with popular hardware, or has market leading content stores inside them. They weren't very good until recently, but they are making progress. JRiver's controlability is superior in every way to the competition, but it needs to hit some kind of critical mass in takeup pretty soon. A JRiver "Device" would have to be a killer device to survive in that market. Not just a simple HTPC. If the PS3 or XBox gets to the point where "it's not perfect but it's good enough" then that could be the beginning of the end for jriver MC's chances at mainstream. They're getting closer and the market is almost mature.

Look at popular sites like Lifehacker. they have regular rankings of "best mp3 tagger" or "best Media center software" and jriver never ever gets a mention. People dont know it's out there.

I'd say that MC needs to be in a "Firefox" type position, where "alternative media center software" would be synonomous with "JRiver". It needs widespread community support, and needs to be installable on a games console, or any other device that can be hacked. It needs to be trendy with sites like Lifehacker. It needs some or all of: youtube, hulu, netflix, itunes video store, amazon video store to be built in and "more comfortable" to use/buy content/stream content than simply browsing with Firefox.

Opening up to third party developers even more, or doing something that will allow people to extend JRiver in a way that is impossible with other Media software would get you up on stage at least.

"Streaming content" might end being the thing that gets people to commit to one comany's MC software over another's. "hoarder's" of data might like JRiver's software over others because of it's organization, but ultimately might get tempted away by other software that has more diverse content sources built in.

Media Jukebox was a great way of introducing people to MC. Media Jukebox with instant "switch on" features such as Images, Video etc. would be better than having MC as a separate product.

Synching with the itunes library is another excellant idea. Better infact, than being able to synch with the iphone directly. There will always be users in the house who want to use itunes. If MC could keep all the itunes libraries up to date too, that would be a real selling point (would also help for mixed mac and windows homes).

Browsing from Firefox, iphone, mac etc. also seems to be getting more and more urgent. JRiver can beat the competition easily by allowing us to browse by more than just "Genre, Artist, Album". For now, "browsing only client" on a mac, would be better than using itunes. Organization on a mac could come later.

7.  Contacts and other amorphous information organization -- may need to be done as a new program
Good idea if you can sync all that data to your phone. Without a "better than the native phone's sync software" sync experience in MC, no-one will want to use MC to organize all that data. Why organize it if you can't use it.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:34 am »

1) Not exactly sure what that means.  MC has multizone support....

2) Definitely interest there though I don't think 'one' remote is the answer, but rather many different types of remotes suitable for each situation.  When someone is watching TV and I can't access MC but still want to use it in some fashion from that same media hub, I need another way to have access to it.

3) Definitely interest here because I just spent the past 2 weeks (several hours each day) setting up a new PC from HP that just has way too many problems than it should have to make the perfect HTPCI.  Things such as processes slowing down the machine that have nothing to do with servicing media, pop-ups and updates that interrupt the usage of media, noisy components, and many many other faults that I hope someday someone can solve these fundamental flaws in Windows and pre-built PCs that really just doesn't have to be that way!

4) That could be cool, but what would you project as possible things these companies could add that your company could not built in and do it better.  I think there are likely lots of things, just haven’t thought about it enough.

5) ""

6)""

7) If you think it would add value, then go for it, I just don't see that much value in it yet, but possibly in the future, I guess

As for what I what I want to see, I really really would like more on demand content built in to MC.  Things like Performer MC, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Amazon On Demand, and other things that make it easier for me to ditch cable in one simple place (Theater View).

I think that as far as overall direction entertainment should still be the main focus, and anything that you can do to help myself and others make ditching cable would be on the top of my list.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 07:49:50 am »

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 03:15:30 pm »

I'd love to see a JRiver Media Extender more than I'd like to see the Synapse. This would be a system that boots into an improved MC Theater View, and can open your library files, but that's it. No tagging necessary. You have to have a back-end PC running MC, but my PC is on 24/7 usually anyway. Basically, it's a SageTV-like system, but using MC instead.
The idea is that these boxes are much cheaper than HTPCs and users can buy several of them for different rooms. I'd get at least one or two, and probably give a few more as wedding/birthday presents.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 03:54:14 pm »

I'd love to see a JRiver Media Extender more than I'd like to see the Synapse. This would be a system that boots into an improved MC Theater View, and can open your library files, but that's it. No tagging necessary. You have to have a back-end PC running MC, but my PC is on 24/7 usually anyway. Basically, it's a SageTV-like system, but using MC instead.
The idea is that these boxes are much cheaper than HTPCs and users can buy several of them for different rooms. I'd get at least one or two, and probably give a few more as wedding/birthday presents.

That could be useful, but for example how would you browse the internet or call other external programs such as playing a blu-ray disc?  These are things that MC Theater View does not do on it's own.  I also like to play Nintendo roms through another emulator and so the extender would have to be able to do this, or it would just be too limited for me.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 04:50:29 pm »

I agree that to go to MC14 you need at least one "Big" item to differentiate from MC13 and justify the upgrade in the eyes of the users so JR is not seen as just “Milking” the existing user base (there are already post on this in the main board).
=====================================================
The items I'd suggest fall into the "Big" thing category are build around MC's core strengths + they have Mass Appeal in the marketplace with the ability for existing users to easily justify the upgrade AND for new users to be acquired.

To me the big Q is.....Do you want to regain the crown as supporting and managing ALL media?  To realistically claim this and keep up with the competitors the "Big" things you need to look at in MC14 are:
A. Blu Ray:  Stop dodging this one, what are you going to do?  It can be as simple as integrating the other players (Arcsoft, PDVD etc) as is done by MS Media Centre.  Even Slysoft is coming out with a “Free” player (minus the decryption bit!)

B. iPods:  I'm not an Apple IPod user and while I've not followed the threads closely it seems that you built a big community from supporting this device and are now suffering as Itunes takes them back.

1.  Whole house media network: If this means having the ability to manage and play all my media on any device in the House then this is terrific (as it will have to include the streaming/transcoding of Video as part of that) and will open up a whole new user base to JR.  As I referred to in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51974.0 the user base of progs like TVersity is as big MC!

============================
The following all have their own merits but none of which I think are the next "Big" thing in itself primarily as much of these ideas don't have a Mass Appeal in the market:
2.  One remote: May be of interest to some but for me (many) we need to control both MC AND a bunch of HW using IR.  I'd be sticking with my programmable RC.

3.  Synapse (a media PC):  While I think there is an OEM opportunity to have MC14 preloaded and configured on HW devices I'd be talking to existing HW Co's on this instead of trying to go it alone.  It is also NOT and MC14 feature - but rather a potential distribution channel for MC14

4.  Open the MC database to a coalition of software companies -- RockBox, foobar, MP3 tagger, dbPowerAmp, Zoom Player, etc.:  Mmmm could be, but I'd be taking a slightly different path of looking at how to "present" the collection to various clients (eg the whole UPnP/DLNA etc etc) rather than letting other apps hit the backend directly.

5.  Database as a hub for developers (similar to #4, but oriented more toward individual developers.:  There have been a number of calls for an open DB.  While I don't directly care personally it does stifle innovation.  It's like you’re own container format for recording DTV, unnecessary and negatively impacts a small portion of your user base.

6.  MC Market -- a list of vendors who provide add-ons and a way for them to get paid with MC one click:  Could be a new source of revenue but it is not a MC14 "big" feature for us users.

7.  Contacts and other amorphous information organization -- may need to be done as a new program: I don't see the synergy or market demand (and hence no increase in resultant sales/uses) from adding PIM to a media player.

When it come to the many post on refinement of existing implementations, these are obviously always required but to me is not a “Big” reason to jump to MC14 and should be done anyway.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:05:12 pm »

I'm splitting a few threads off on their own.

Whole House Media Network

Mac

Relational Database

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 09:08:28 pm »

I'd love to see a JRiver Media Extender more than I'd like to see the Synapse. This would be a system that boots into an improved MC Theater View, and can open your library files, but that's it. No tagging necessary.

I think it needs a bit of tagging, at least a simple way to adjust ratings.

-John

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:42 pm »

I think it needs a bit of tagging, at least a simple way to adjust ratings.

-John

Sure that'd work for me too.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 10:15:48 pm »

That could be useful, but for example how would you browse the internet or call other external programs such as playing a blu-ray disc?  These are things that MC Theater View does not do on it's own.  I also like to play Nintendo roms through another emulator and so the extender would have to be able to do this, or it would just be too limited for me.

Internet browsing would be restricted to video sites like YouTube etc.; it isn't a fully fledged PC after all. Alternatively, surfing is easily done without too much computational power, so it may be possible to have a browser. As for BluRay, I think they'd need to be ripped as m2ts as they can be played now on MC. Again, if you need a BD player, build an HTPC.

gappie

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:53 am »

i really would like chapter support for mkv files. im still using an other player for those files i use that. would love to use mc only... the same for angles etc.. so more support for mkv files.

:)
gab

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 04:54:24 pm »

7.  Contacts and other amorphous information organization -- may need to be done as a new program: I don't see the synergy or market demand (and hence no increase in resultant sales/uses) from adding PIM to a media player.

Neither can I , it seems an odd direction to go into  ?

I guess they are trying to apply the power of MC's viewing skills to contacts. And the fact that you can sync tunes on a phone so why not also contacts.

Maybe its good if you have tens of thousands of contacts but most prolly have less than a thousand. Which means you could pretty much use any existing app and get by. Thats the metric (in music albums) i use to determine whether to recommend ppl should try out MC or not.

It might help retain existing customers but does nothing (i think) to attract new ones.

B. iPods:  I'm not an Apple IPod user and while I've not followed the threads closely it seems that you built a big community from supporting this device and are now suffering as Itunes takes them back.
Apple giveth & taketh away !!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »

What I said was:
may need to be done as a new program

Our technology is good at database, search, device support, and customized presentation.  Seems logical to me.  Maybe not to the same market.

As someone else pointed out, the cell phone is likely to win as the "all in one device" -- phone, organizer, media player, GPS, camera.  PDA's are dead now.  Media players or GPS could be next.

Marty3d

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 05:27:55 pm »

I'm also a bit confused by the contacts talk.

Now I use:
* One program for syncing contacts and calendar. It's good at what it does.
* MC for syncing music. Very good! ;)

But for syncing  contacts/calendar, the other program hooks into Outlook. Should MC do that as well? Or do you want it to replace Outlook? I hope not, there's not even a simple datepicker in MC! How would it handle a standard calendar then?
So, by separating contacts into MC, that means:

* One program for syncing calendar
* MC for syncing music and contact
* One program for syncing contacts between Outlook and MC (since you need to keep your contacts in Outlook and can't ditch it)

Nah... too much syncing between syncing programs. Sorry!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 06:30:38 pm »

As for BluRay, I think they'd need to be ripped as m2ts as they can be played now on MC. Again, if you need a BD player, build an HTPC.

Not quite right, MC has (like with any media) the ability with the correct Filters installed to play the content that is included in Blu-ray disks (eg Video: MPEG2, AVC, VC-1 Audio: DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-HD, DD-MA etc).  Currently there are NO Blu-ray navigation filters or AACS/BD+ support so there are three options:
1) User rips all Blu-ray / HD-DVD Disks to a single file:  This option has always been available and does not mean MC supports Blu-ray rather just file playback.
2) MC adds native Blu-ray support:  I don't see this happening as I'd imagine that it is very expensive with the required licencing etc but ??
3) MC adds support for Blu-ray players:  eg, This is what MS does with it's Media Center.  Arcsoft has a plugin that allows it to be called and controlled from withing MSMC if you have it installed.  To the user you now have Bly-ray playback inside MSMC.

Jim - Can you please outline your thoughts so I can at least stop posting the same "can we have Blu-ray support" post over and over.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »

As someone else pointed out, the cell phone is likely to win as the "all in one device" -- phone, organizer, media player, GPS, camera.  PDA's are dead now.  Media players or GPS could be next.

The current trend certainly appears to be heading this way, but we may not yet be able to see where this is all heading, and the market could split.  Take, for example, the people who feel they no longer need a camera now that their phone has a 7MP camera in it.  This will certainly take a bite out of the camera market, but it will never kill it.  There is simply too large of a quality gap between phone cameras and "real" cameras due to lens and sensor size issues.

Personally, I'd rather have a larger screen on a video player, GPS, and organizer, and I want a larger, more powerful amp in my music player (and a larger screen as well.)  I want a phone, however, to be as small as possible.  Of these devices, the phone is the ONLY one that I want to have with me at all times.  What I DON'T want is to listen to music on a phone with a tiny, crappy amp in it, or to try to use a calendar on a screen that's just too small.  I also don't want a honking big phone (like an iPhone) that I have to carry around all the time.  I don't know what the answer is, but there might still be enough disagreement in the market that more than one approach will continue -- i.e. that "all in ones" might not end up wiping everything else out.  I certainly hope we end up with some alternatives.

Larry

rjm

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 02:02:31 am »

There are some obvious ones -- better movie metadata, polishing, DJ tools, etc.  These will happen.

What's more challenging is to find a big new direction.  Here are some of the ones we're thinking about.  Please add your own.

2.  One remote

3.  Synapse (a media PC)

5.  Database as a hub for developers (similar to #4, but oriented more toward individual developers.

6.  MC Market -- a list of vendors who provide add-ons and a way for them to get paid with MC one click

Thanks for asking.

I think MC is unique and excellent. It should have a lot more visibility and market share than it does. I suspect JRiver is small with constrained resources. And for whatever it is worth, I think the 93% of economists that are predicting a recovery by early 2010 are complete idiots and it will get a LOT worse before it gets better.

Therefore I like ideas like 4,5,6 that leverage other people's effort with MC's core strengths. And I do not like ideas like 2,3,7 that could overextend or defocus JRiver. Idea #1 sounds promising but I have no feel for scope so cannot comment.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 02:49:38 am »

Our technology is good at database, search, device support, and customized presentation.

This sounds like an excellent starting point for brainstorming :)

4.  Open the MC database to a coalition of software companies -- RockBox, foobar, MP3 tagger, dbPowerAmp, Zoom Player, etc.:  Mmmm could be, but I'd be taking a slightly different path of looking at how to "present" the collection to various clients (eg the whole UPnP/DLNA etc etc) rather than letting other apps hit the backend directly.

I think so players like rockbox, foobar, mp3tagger can incorporate MC's database for faster operation.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 06:13:38 am »

I can't remember any specifics, but I can remember some sort of mention of a JR brand handheld media player a while back.  I'd love to see a handheld that had MC's attitude towards customization.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 07:05:06 am »

Jim - Can you please outline your thoughts so I can at least stop posting the same "can we have Blu-ray support" post over and over.
We haven't decided anything.  It comes up regularly.  It just isn't priority #1.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 05:47:41 pm »

I'm going to add to the list...

An audio "receiver" mode, maybe part of Media Server, that acts like a sound card, but transfers the audio via Ethernet to MC (probably Media Server again) running on another PC.

So any audio program running on one PC could "play" its audio on another PC.

This is one of the elements of the "Whole House Media Network" in my first post.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 06:14:33 pm »

We haven't decided anything.  It comes up regularly.  It just isn't priority #1.

Thought I'd mention... I finally took the plunge and threw one of the LG combo-drives in my HTPC.  I haven't used it for BluRay yet though.  Mainly, I'd been having trouble with my old Samsung DVD drive, due to a flaky PATA cable I suspect, and decided to just replace it with a newer SATA model due to wiring concerns more than anything.

When I went to buy it, since the LG drive was pretty cheap anymore, I decided to just take the plunge...  Like I said, I haven't had cause to use it for BluRay, and I don't know how often it'll happen, but...

If MC supported it directly without too much hassle, maybe I'd check it out.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 06:18:18 pm »

I'm going to add to the list...

An audio "receiver" mode, maybe part of Media Server, that acts like a sound card, but transfers the audio via Ethernet to MC (probably Media Server again) running on another PC.

So any audio program running on one PC could "play" its audio on another PC.

This is one of the elements of the "Whole House Media Network" in my first post.

This would be nice.  Would you basically "tune in" to the first system's MC feed from the second system -- i.e. like "tuning in" to a radio broadcast, with all systems in sync with each other?

Thanks,

Larry

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32:38 am »

I like a lot of the ideas in this thread, but think MC14 really needs a "WOW" feature that is clearly demo-able and different.

I think some kind of automatic DJ/VJ function would fit the bill. It would include something like:

1) "Genius" playlists like iTunes, maybe based on AudioScrobbler or MusicBrain or something like that
2) Combined with the ability to manage parallel audio and video playlists - associate a video or a folder of images or a visualizer with a given audio track (or list of tracks)
3) Incorporate some kind of automatic video mixing, like Animoto (animoto.com)

The idea would be to easily (eg. pick a single song) generate an automatic audio/video experience that would be aesthetic and occasionally surprising.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:10 pm »

+1 for those ideas.  The Wow needs to be there! :-)

Marty3d

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 12:33:12 pm »

I think JRiver is in a kind of tricky situation. The wow experience should of course be there, but also finishing what they started in several areas, especially for us veteran users that's waiting for this to happen.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »

I think JRiver is in a kind of tricky situation. The wow experience should of course be there, but also finishing what they started in several areas, especially for us veteran users that's waiting for this to happen.
...and as a good 'for-example'--tagging of files in MP4 containers. I'm pretty sure folks (well, me) started asking about this back in the MJ9 days, but back then there was no guarantee that the format would stick around.

I think it's pretty clear now with the advent of non-DRMed files even available from Apple that the format is going to stick around for a while.

I wouldn't call upgraded tagging a 'wow' feature, but it sure seems like a sizable hole in today's digital audio world. :)

brad

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »

gpvillamil has a good idea.

How about a tie-in to last.fm, MusicBrain, Pandora, etc?
I do like the ability to create dynamic playlists.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 08:26:31 pm »

Yeah, I agree with the last few posts. You only need one new wow feature. Something like blu-ray support or something (it wouldn't "wow" me, but I guess it's a very marketable feature). The rest of the time would be better spent on polishing existing features, and implementing other smaller feature requests.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 01:52:19 pm »

Hi,

I know I have mentioned this before, along time ago. But I would like to see MC split into three distinct components.
1. server; this does nothing but maintain data, record from TV, serve files, possibly some transcode jobs
2. playbackengine; another service like component. simply completes playback of audio pictures and video.
3. userinterface; 10', desktop and touchscreen in various sizes;  playback window can show playback engine output

2&3 would ideally built on top of a multi-platform toolkit to enable execution on Mac, Linux and Windows

Each of the three would be able to communicate within a single PC or split over a network
This would enable a system where we can have multiple playback engines on a single pc running on different monitors. or spread over an entire network of PCs

From this base developing the system for true home automattion would be a logical development (turn the lights down and close the curtains, when a movie is played in the lounge) and provide many more userinterface opportunities. This seperation would extend the new feature of Netbook as a remote.

Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 05:48:39 pm »

Allow Users Who Have Paid Media Center To Play Music On Performer Music
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jgreen

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 01:36:21 pm »

If I was Mr. River, I would explore number 4/5.  Not sure how this would play out, but I suspect there's a market there for helping other companies make their players useful.  This is how I interpret number 4/5.

BTW, a hearty congrats on MC13 and a thank you for keeping my login open, which is all the use I've been.  Here's to MC14!!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »

2.  One remote

3.  Synapse (a media PC)

After some consideration I think only the number one has something to offer to me.

I'll go to the dedicated thread...

EDIT

It would be nice if you could explain what you mean by 4. and 5. No one except jgreen* has commented on them and I too am a bit unsure of what they could be.

EDIT 2
* and leezer3
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »

Alex,
Please feel free to add to the list if you can see another direction.

By #4 and #5, I mean this:

Join with other competent media software companies to present a more united front.  We might, for example, offer hosting services, e-commerce in some cases, licensing technology and access to our database.  We have several servers that might be useful, too.  YADB, for example.  It might be possible to use the same forum software, the same wiki, and so on.  We could standardize SDK's so that developers could increase their reach.

If this were done well, it might be able to challenge Apple and Microsoft.

I have no idea whether there would be any interest by other groups.

Jim

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 08:37:29 pm »

Alex,
Please feel free to add to the list if you can see another direction.

By #4 and #5, I mean this:

Join with other competent media software companies to present a more united front.  We might, for example, offer hosting services, e-commerce in some cases, licensing technology and access to our database.  We have several servers that might be useful, too.  YADB, for example.  It might be possible to use the same forum software, the same wiki, and so on.  We could standardize SDK's so that developers could increase their reach.

If this were done well, it might be able to challenge Apple and Microsoft.

I have no idea whether there would be any interest by other groups.

Jim

I would love to see something like this. You know I love MC, and there's still so much to the program that I haven't ventured to explore yet (just started using expressions this weekend for rudimentary tagging for example). For me, being more video-centric I'd love to see the power of MC's media management with a 'wow factor' TV interface. I think the wow factor front ends would be of limited use for a video library the size of mine without the MC like capabilities. On the other hand MC lacks the glitz of some front ends. I prefer to use MC because the wow factor is just icing. The cake HAS to taste good - it's no use to me if it's all icing. Bring the cake, team up with some icing and let's all get fat!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 03:56:20 am »

Bring the cake, team up with some icing and let's all get fat!

Ahmen!

2minikan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »

I like to have an external encoder option for video conversion.

MrHaugen

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2009, 02:25:46 am »

My suggestions of big changes:

1. Whole house media network is more and more important today. After the Triremote thing is completed it could be extended to give some real read AND write possibilities from all clients. Preferably with a user or a machine login, so you can control rights for each part of the server library (Music, video, images and documents).

2. Finish the development of Theater View for Movies and Series. MC have been Audio centric for many years. Something have to be done to attract the video and series watchers as well.
There should be a possibility of different views for Music and Video/Series. Video and Series view should contain reviews/plot, year, genre, actors, rating, seasons, episodes, how many watched.
Filters for Watched/not watched should be in place, filter on year and genre as well and athe possibility of a combination of this.

All of this could be possible today, with some good skin design I believe. Only thing that have to be added is the possibility of changing the stack of thumbnails for a Series/Show and replace it with one single Series/Show artwork. The same can then be applied for music so you get Artist art for each artist. This would be amazing, and it's something that have been asked for year after year. That way it would be possible with all those gorgeous backgrounds when selecting a series or an artist in Theater View.

With a possibility of getting a kick in the groin by Jim, I have to point out Mediastream skin as a skin the developers should be aiming at. Not copying, but borrowing a few ideas. It's simple, clean and drop dead gorgeous.

3. To make all the Video/Series info look good, you also have to have a database for this. Build out you're YADB to support Videos AND Series, and things will pop in fast from for instance the My Movie (was it the correct name?) import that is used today. Or alternatively find an open database with good quality and let MC users use that.

Series/movies update:
TV Series could be updated with info from the database if the directory and filenames added had certain criterias like: directory(series name)\Season\a.name.s1e10.xxxxx. The database could easily filter away the dot's and thereby get the name, the series name and season from the directory. Control the season with the filenames and finally write the episode number from the filename. This would simplify alot of the work done today. Similar things with dot removal etc. could be done with movies as well.

4. Remote control. With you're current possibility of using a MC14 client to remote control other servers, the only thing that's left imo is to build a really good HTML based, or even better, a Java based remote control who can support a lot of devices and platforms.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

flac.rules

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2009, 03:37:05 am »

I'd give my vote for #1 and possibly #2, generally MC needs more plugins, and more skins. I don't know why there are so few now, but something should be done to make the availabilty better. And focus on the theater view, make it look snappier and better. Other front-ends have extremly nice skins, JRMCs skin is ok, but nothing special. Either by making it easier to make skins, or by suppling new ones.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2009, 04:16:19 am »

My idea isnt really a big one, just one that seems to me to fit with what MC already is.

I have seen alot of talk about opening it up to be a document/file manager in addition to "entertainment media" Manager, which i actually dont think is a bad idea (i like the contacts database notion), but why not start with supporting other "entertainment media" . Ebooks are getting to be decent business and achieving significant market penetration, and the devices have matured to the point of usefulness. Why not manage those, you already have device sync features, i imagine supporting these readers would be doable without to much fuss (many sdks out there for exactly this). You wouldnt have to offer a purchase system, but you might be able to make some cash that way. bottom line its an "entertainment media" type that i currently have to have another program to manage, and i wish it was a good as MC. Also eComics, again, not a huge market, but another media type i have to manage in a seperate program thats not as good as MC at metadata management.

Again , these aren't the barn burners you are looking for, but its a step towards some of your other ideas that dont diverge from what you currently have, yet offer users the opprotunity to dump some less mature programs in favor of yours.

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2009, 04:36:14 am »

Hi,

It would be great if the 3D view was more flexible with enqueuing, drag & drop functions. Maybe the list of songs of a selected album should appear in a pane underneath for it to work...
Thanks,

Sheugel
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up