INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MC14 be able to use "DSP effects (replay gain)" when burning data CDs/DVDs?  (Read 2697 times)

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

hi,
I am asking for  this feature from MC12 but no one responds  :'(

Shay

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try changing the option for Playback to "diskwriter".

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

Try changing the option for Playback to "diskwriter".

Thanks Jim,
I get *.wav file/s in a specific dir...
I guess now I have to do format-conversion and then burn it. this is a very time-consuming (need to play each song) and a clumsy way though...
isn't there an easier way to burn  my mp3  to a CD/DVD with DSP volume?
For audio CDs it is much easier to do it because there already is a built in feature in the software to allow it.

I would even appreciate a conversion method that does a batch volume changes

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.

So you want it to decode the file while applying the DSP effects and then re-encode the file to be written as a data file to a CD or DVD?

I can see doing that with lossless source files (like FLAC).  But doing that with a lossy file as source (like an MP3) is not ideal.  Transcoding a lossy file just compounds the lossyness (more lossy encoding on top of an already lossy encoded file).

But I do like the idea in general.  For example if making an MP3 data CD to be used in a car the volume leveling and even some EQ processing would be beneficial. 

Dirhael

• World Citizen

So you want it to decode the file while applying the DSP effects and then re-encode the file to be written as a data file to a CD or DVD?

I can see doing that with lossless source files (like FLAC).  But doing that with a lossy file as source (like an MP3) is not ideal.  Transcoding a lossy file just compounds the lossyness (more lossy encoding on top of an already lossy encoded file).

But I do like the idea in general.  For example if making an MP3 data CD to be used in a car the volume leveling and even some EQ processing would be beneficial. 

Both MP3 and AAC/MP4 audio files can have their gain changed in a lossless way (using mp3gain/aacgain), no need to transcode them at all.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

hi,

bottom line is that. I need my songs to have approx. the same volume when I burn them to data DVDs/CDs and when sending them to a handheld device.
The best approach is to have players that can make use of the replay-gain but since I have simple players I need to set the volume when burning/transferring to those players.

I would like to emphasize that the originals files are not to be harmed. only the copies (playlist that I burn/transfer).
and maybe I will have a degradation in the quality but I prefer that when I'm driving over the alternative where I continually adjust the volume.

and perhaps what I want is something like mp3gain that is seamlessly being used while burning/transferring songs (as data).

one other thing: MC is already has a mechanism to set a song's volume to a specific level (when ripping discs) so why not use that as an option when transcoding DVDs/CDs (pre-burning) or when transferring songs to handhelds (also doing optional song file tweaking like recode in other qualities and encoders).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

It would be nice if the file converter would allow applying any DSP effects (not just replay gain) when files are converted. The option could be available whenever file conversion takes place (direct conversions, CD/DVD burning, handheld sync and server conversions). Before encoding the source files are always decoded to PCM so adding the DSP option would be quite possible. It could work exactly as it works when audio CDs are burned.

Adding a "lossless" MP3 and/or AAC gain change feature would be more difficult because MC doesn't have the needed code already built-in and because it would alter the source files.

As a workaround, a good option is to create a virtual handheld in a disk folder and sync the files to be burned (in MP3 format). It is easy to use the Mp3Gain program outside MC and apply the volume level changes to the files. After that the files can be burned with MC or MJ.

Personally I keep the converted and adjusted files so that I can use them when I burn other discs or sync external storage or player devices. I use a separate library for holding this MP3 repository. Currently this library is in MJ12 so that it is easy to handle it outside my main library. I can keep both programs open and do other tasks in MC13 while MJ12 burns or syncs.

Basically, I do manually what could be possible with the stacks feature. Currently the stacks system is a bit half-baked and doesn't allow everything I described.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks Alex_B,

the down-sides of using the mp3gain are:
1. you need additional disk space.
2. you need to maintain 2 libraries..

quesions:
does the mp3gain retain the MC user tags?
does the mp4gain uses the replay-gain that MC analyzed?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

the down-sides of using the mp3gain are:
1. you need additional disk space.
2. you need to maintain 2 libraries.

The system I described is not ideal, but it is usable if you need something that works now.

1. Does it really matter? I have about 800 GB of audio files in my main library. My "virtual handheld" has currently about 20 GB of replay gain adjusted MP3 files. Naturally your milege may differ.

2. There is not much to maintain. I have set Auto-Importer in MJ12 to monitor only the "virtual handheld" location. I don't manually maintain its library anyhow. I use it only for burning files and copying them to other devices.

does the mp3gain retain the MC user tags?

It does not alter the ID3 v1 and v2 tags anyhow.

does the mp4gain uses the replay-gain that MC analyzed?

Unfortunately no. Mp3gain reads and writes only APE tags, which are not very common in MP3 files. However, decoding, measuring and adjusting existing MP3 files is a lot faster than encoding new MP3 files. (If DSP features were available MC would always re-encode.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

Sorry if I missed something but this feature exists in MC13 and I used to use it when burning mixes. It's essential to equalize volume, and we used to do this with a mixer when making live mixes to tape from vinyl & cd. MC has always been very helpful at achieving this in the digital realm; has something changed?

I'm exhausted so excuse me if this was explained but I just ended up confused after reading this thread.

DC

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

Sorry if I missed something but this feature exists in MC13 and I used to use it when burning mixes. It's essential to equalize volume, and we used to do this with a mixer when making live mixes to tape from vinyl & cd. MC has always been very helpful at achieving this in the digital realm; has something changed?

I'm exhausted so excuse me if this was explained but I just ended up confused after reading this thread.

DC

Thanks for every one that wrote on this topic... By reading the replies, I believe that MC13 cannot do volume adjustments while burning data cd/transferring  to hand-held.

As I read some of the workarround ideas above (using the disk-writer / making a copy of the library and using mp3gain, and so on) I see that MC has a void in delivering a solution to this problem including (and I just copy what people wrote) even the stack solution that might have given a way to the solution lacks some needed features.

So, dear users, I would like to have the DSP effects or at least the volume adjustment while burning data CDs/transferring (transcoding) files to hand-held in MC14 and I need you to support me on that if you care too....

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Under Options > Burning > Audio Burning, you can select Apply crossfade and DSP effects. Below this you can click Cross-fade and DSP settings to setup the volume leveling. These settings are then applied when you burn a redbook cd. However, I'm not sure if they work when transferring to handheld or copying MP3's to a cd.

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck

Under Options > Burning > Audio Burning, you can select Apply crossfade and DSP effects. Below this you can click Cross-fade and DSP settings to setup the volume leveling. These settings are then applied when you burn a redbook cd. However, I'm not sure if they work when transferring to handheld or copying MP3's to a cd.

They are not!
this is the point behind this thread, why should there be a different...?

Pages: [1]   Go Up